Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • HELP!! Mavic CrossMax ST problem
  • chrisg1664
    Free Member

I have a set of ’09 Crossmax ST’s whos nipples/spokes have seized together so I couldnt true them. I decided to buy some new spokes and rebuild the rear wheel. I have been sent 275mm for the FW side and 248mm for the NonFW side which according to Mavic are the correct size for the wheel/year etc.
    Unfortunately the FW side are much to long. Ive measured the ones I took out and theyre all 268mm rendering the new spokes fairly useless.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Mavic are insistant that theyve sent me the correct spokes and dont make them for the correct strength rating in the size I need.
    Im now without a wheel as I had to cut most of the spokes out.
    Please help..

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

White or Black Hub?

Give me an email address and I’ll get someone I know to mail you direct.

jimw
    Free Member

I have just ordered through my LBS ones for 09 ST’s. The part number can be found on page 15 of the Mavic Tech Document. This suggests that the Freewheel (drive side) are 248mm

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/docs/themes/2_13.pdf

REFERENCES AND
    LENGTHS:
    Front: 995 401 01, length 261 mm, (per 12 + 1 decorated, integrated nipples)
    Rear drive side: 995 402 01, length 248 mm, (per 12, integrated nipples)
    Rear non-drive side: 995 403 01, length 263 mm, (per 12 + 1 decorated, integrated nipples)

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m puzzled that all your spokes measure the same as the driveside is laced radially and the non driveside is 2 cross.
    There is a barcode on the rim.If you give this to mavic tech support the can trace exactly what model year it is.

fibre
    Free Member

Exactly what Rorschach just said.

There is a barcode on the rim. If you give this to Mavic tech support the can trace exactly what model year it is.

Mavic seem to faff around changing things all the time, which is probably why nobody bothers stocking there spokes or spares. They make nice wheels but i’d rather be able to get spares easily, and i’m not a fan of alloy spokes or nipples as they seize (had same issue truing my mates Crossmax).

chrisg1664
    Free Member

Thanks for al the advice. Got myself mixed up, drive side are laced radially and are 248. non drive side is crossed and measure 268.

zulu my email is chrisg1664athotmail.dotco.dotuk. its the black hub.

Ive been using j e james to get the parts through and to be fair theyre being very helpful but they and the rep seem quite stumped. Ive sent them the serial number which confirms its a crossmax but according to them it should have 275mm non drive side.

jim thanks for the pointer I’ll have a look and see what I can sort out.

thanks everyone

247cycleshop
    Free Member

http://www.247cycleshop.com/shop/category_10/Mavic-Mountain-Bike-Wheel-Spokes.html?sessid=RUTbGEwouQtRjifFaZ3W6FUN2Wj7LEffyhgq6xBFeXeizwkW6Y7htyHHfZGoI9Dc&shop_param=cid%3D%26
    Are your wheels Disc or V brake ST’s?
    The V’ brake version use 270.5mm length spokes

Also how are you measuring the spokes? Mavic measure from contact point to contact point, not overall length, so if they measure 268mm overall, they will most probably around 263mm Mavic length

chrisg1664
    Free Member

247cycleshop. thanks for the post,you’ve told me exactly the same as the rep from Mavic who got in touch with me via here. Very very helpful and Ive managed to get the problem resolved. Not quite sure why I would have been sent spokes for vbrakes, surprised theyre still available. Thanks for the advice though. you were also right about how to measure the spoke length, it is 263mm.

I am now awaiting some correct length spokes to get my wheel built back up. Thanks Mavic, I know you get a bit of a slating from people who struggle to get parts from you but I really cant fault the service Ive received…

andysredmini
    Free Member

Did you manage to get the seized ones out easily enough?
    Mine were completely stuck and I had to buy a new rim and all new spokes. Cost about £180
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mavic-crossmax-st-nipple-advice-wanted

chrisg1664
    Free Member

No I had to cut most of the drive side spokes with a pair of pliers and then the nipple unscrewed from the rim no problem. Strange that it was only the drive side I struggled with, the non drive side came out without too much fuss.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘HELP!! Mavic CrossMax ST problem’ is closed to new replies.