Help…Luftkappe suck down when changing air shaft

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  cjr61.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help…Luftkappe suck down when changing air shaft
  • cjr61

So…quick job I thought!
    Swapping my 150 Luftkappe air shaft for a Debonair 160 in my Lyriks. Air out as normal, dropped the lowers, then the Luftkappe air shaft proceeded to suck all the way back into the stanchion above seal head!
    I can get about 3/4 turns off the leg bolt on it but do I yank it out or can I somehow release the negative pressure?

Thanks
    Chris

airvent

NOTE: Make sure the Luftkappe piston is close to or touching the sealhead when you reinstall the sealhead. If it’s pushed a long way into the stanchion before the sealhead is reinstalled, you can trap too much air in the negative chamber, which will result in your fork “sucking down” even when pressurised as it is not able to extend far enough to equalise pressures between positive and negative chambers.

Step Five
    Continue servicing the fork as per Rockshox’s instructions if you are servicing the damper or replacing the wiper seals, or skip to the reassembly instructions. Follow the factory instructions for reasssembly, but do not repressurise yet.

Note: ensure footbolts are done up with the fork fully extended. If they’re done up with it partly or completely compressed, the fork will suck down into its travel.

https://vorsprungsuspension.com/pages/luftkappe-installation-setup

cjr61

Airvent…very informative thank you…but how do I get it out???

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Put ear defenders on, then put the foot bolt back on shaft and wrap a rag around that and pull…. await the loud POP! assuming you have taken the retaining circlip off.

airvent

Just pull it and wear protective goggles

walleater

Pull on it as hard as needed and wait for the bang 😉

It can help to thread on a longer bolt and hold it with a rag / gloves.

It’s a job I always hate doing. When an air can is stuck down you can use the frame leverage to correct it after pressurizing the shock a bit to give it a helping hand. I’ve never tried similar with a fork as I’ve always removed the fork before releasing the pressure but it’d be an interesting thing to try. The low pressures involved compared to a shock might not make this trick possible though.

cjr61

Right then! I’ll take circlip off and yank it out! Does it matter if the air cap/volume spacers are in or out?

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

I’d take the air cap off

cjr61

Sorted! Thanks all

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.