Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help! Light-ish all rounder for £1000? C2W.
  • RustySpanner

Hiya.

Have a lovely heavy tourer (Surly Disc Trucker) and a very pleasant old school hardtail ( steel Rock Lobster) which is fine for my MTB needs.

My road bike is uncomfy – 1996 Trek 1400, bonded ally, huge bar drop, 23mm tyres max. Currently lives on the turbo.

Looking for something much lighter than the Surly, but still comfy.  Not fussed about make or frame material.

I’d like:

Drops.

Discs. Cable is just dandy.

Mudguard mounts. Not fussed about rack mounts, but it would be a bonus.

A front shifter, or the capability to fit one.

32/35mm tyres minimum, but the bigger the better.

Definitely no press fit BB.

Comfy riding position.

No toe overlap.

All year round road/light off road use.

Would prefer old school qr wheels and hubs if poss.

Approx 50cm frame.

Arkose is my first thought, will be having a good look at the current offerings and possibly next year’s when available.

Alloy Kona Rove looks nice too, will be checking those out.

All recommations much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Phew. Managed all that without once mentioning gravel. Oh, bollocks….🙂

Clink

My wife just got the base Kona Rove for a great deal from LBS. Wheels/tyres a bit heavy, but for the money it’s a great ride. Flared drops comfy too.

Bregante

My Cycle to work Arkose 3 is a year old this week and has been faultless over the 2500 miles (mainly bridleways) I’ve covered on it. I’ve had both 650b and 700c wheels on it over that time and  has had everything from 28mm road tyres to 38mm cyclocross tyres on. I’ve done 70 mile peak district rides where in the past I would have taken the road bike and I’ve also taken it round some of my local loops where I’d otherwise have been on the mountain bike. Frankly it’s brilliant.

RustySpanner

Ta folks.

Never heard a bad word about either of the above, very tempting. Nice looking bikes too, which helps. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

My Arkose 2. Fits all of your requirements except bolt through front axle. I’ve just got back from an overnight bikepacking adventure and it was superb.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member
    ross980
    Free Member

I was going to suggest an Arkose too…

I’ve got the Alfine version which probably isn’t what you’re looking for, but it’s my favourite recreational (i.e. non commuting) bike at the moment (and has been for the 12+ months I’ve had it). I just need some nobbly tyres for winter mud as the standard ones are dreadful in the slippy stuff.

My intention was to stick mudguards and a rack on it and use it for commuting, but I enjoy riding road/BWs/non-techy trails on it far too much to do that.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

At the mo, as far as I’m aware, this bike is the best spec deal for a hydraulic road bike.

However, not a chance of meeting the OP’s requirements of 32/35mm tyre clearance, you would be lucky to squeeze in 700×28 GP4000 S2s that are ~31mm wide on 19mm internal rim width wheels.

TiRed

Giant Contend if it will take front mudguards. I’d want something with nicer road geometry to contrast with the Surly

robbo1234biking

Boardman ADV 8.9 is a good option for you I reckon. Had mine about 2 weeks and think it is fantastic. Maybe not the fashionable choice but good value for money at £900 with British cycling discount.

RustySpanner

The Giant is  a great shout but 28mm tyres seems to be about the max.

Oddly despite everything I’ve read, the Surly doesn’t handle like an oil tanker – it’s actually fun and  responsive to chuck around, loaded or unloaded.

I suspect it’s due to the 26″ wheels.

Looking at all your  suggestions now, thanks everyone.

CraigW
    Free Member

Sonder Camino Al?

andygrinding
    Free Member

+1 on the Sonder Camino. From what you’ve said it should tick all the boxes.

Ive just recieced mine and is fantastic.

Pic and my first impressions here

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sonder-camino-al-thoughts-feelings-emotions-pictures/page/2/

andygrinding
    Free Member

My pictures are at the end of the thread.

Daffy

you would be lucky to squeeze in 700×28 GP4000 S2s that are ~31mm wide on 19mm internal rim width wheels.

Codswallop.  I’ve been running 37mm tyres on Archetype rims (17.5mm) tubeless at 50-60psi for 4 years.  Also, we were, all of us running 2.1-2.3” tyres on Mavic 717/819s for many years.

whether the frame has clearance for anything larger than 28mm is another matter.

twowheels
    Free Member

Thanks for making an effort not to mention gravel!

Arkose is my everyday commuting bike and other stuff from

to

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>It is comfortable but feels like driving a tractor.  Rear is QR but front is through axle.  You could make it lighter by changing the RS505 cranks (I will swap for Ultegra when I’ve worn out the chainrings).  I haven’t weighed the wheels but I think they’re Formula hubs and Alex Draw 1.9s so not going to be mega light. My rear needs it’s 2nd truing in as many years but front has been ok. </span>

That Vitus does indeed look a reasonable bike for the money, shame the frame doesn’t work.

I’ve also been keeping an eye on the Dolan RDX as a more road oriented replacement for my Arkose.  The 105 version is £999.  Claims 32 tyre clearance.  Link to 105 version- https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-rdx-bike-shimano-105-5800-hydro.html .  The BB cabling is a mess unfortunately.  I already emailed Dolan to confirm a 160mm rotor will fit at the front!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Daffy, you can codswallop all you like…

But that Vitus specifically states it has clearance for 28mm tyres, which was precisely my point about it not meeting OP’s requirements.

I was simply stating that 700*28 GP4000 S2s measure ~31mm on modern road wheels with an internal rim width of 19mm.

I was not stating that 28mm tyres are the widest tyres you can fit to 19mm internal rim width tyres, I’ve run up to 2.35″ in both 26er and 29er flavours over the last 10 years, but not at modern day low pressures you can safely use on wider rims.

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish. 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help! Light-ish all rounder for £1000? C2W.’ is closed to new replies.