• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help I'm turning into a weight weenie.
  • rotten
    Free Member

Was given a set of Feedback Sports scales for Christmas and can’t stop weighing bike parts, even old parts that never get used are being weighed! Got it in my head I should buy a Sram XX cassette as I’ll save 130g over my XT, maybe I don’t need a Super Tacky High Roller on the front or a front mech, shifter and cable. Should I change my Mavic SX’s to St’s or maybe carbon Havens? What about my forks, do I really need TALAS 36s, would 34s be the way forward. 180mm rear disc is too much surely when a 160mm saves 59g, and steel rotor bolts are so heavy I’m going to get ti ones. Don’t know how much Stans fluid weighs, but I know I put in more than it said to, could save 10g there. Going to take another link out the chain and maybe trim 10mm from the rear derailleur cable tomorrow. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHH.
    Anyone else had the same thing happen.

Bregante

Nope

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and breath…..

I nearly started down there but basically with some discipline use them only to weigh things you are changing. I made an effort to get my lighter gear onto the most ridden bike so was good to know what was what. Wierd one was that with a set of old XT HTII cranks and some hones the DS hone was heavier, NDS XT was nearly cancelled each other out.

cynic-al

It’s easy to get silly with it.

I found it more interesting to get the bike reasonably light without spending too much.

doom_mountain

Agreed.
    Weight saving is only good if it’s cheapish and noticable (makes the bike quicker/ more fun) IMO.
    I’m not looking to win any races so 130g saved on a cassette doesn’t really add up to much.

JoeG
    Free Member

Take your scale to the bike shop with you. Weigh parts there and only buy the lightest ones, especially tubes and tires.

If you prefer to order online, buy in quantities of 10-12. Keep the lightest ones and return the rest…

cynic-al

op you need to look at the weight Weenies website, very informative

njee20

Don’t get an XX cassette on a bike with 36s etc. be stunned if you can’t save 130g for less elsewhere!

Weight weenies is good for inspiration, but take any advice with a pinch of salt! Most of them have obscene amounts of money and never ride their bikes!

ampthill

Having read the physics of 29 er thread I can now conclude you are wrong. A bike more mass is a good thing as it will have more kinetic energy to get it over rough sections

More seriuosly you are playing an expensive game. Its fine if you’ve got the cash

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

been there done that in the nineties with my HT when I had a Ti fixation, now riding an Alpine 160 with Marz coils, coil shock, dropper post, Saint cranks etc etc.

My new road bike on the other hand…. 🙄 🙂

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Apparently at 5 feet 10 inch I should be 64-79 kg depending on build so i`ve got either 4000 g or 19000 g to loose , then I might start weighing my bike parts!!!

rickon
    Free Member

I went down the Weightweenie route… waste of money, light parts just don’t last anywhere near as long as sensible, and the gain is just pointless. Much better to spend that money on some nice shoes, a meal out, or holiday in the Alps than on some lightweight cassette that’s going to wear out in a few rides in gritty mud.

There…. sensible and up early 😉

br
    Free Member

180mm rear disc is too much surely when a 160mm saves 59g

Surely a 140mm will save even more :-), and it will still lock the wheel.

‘Weight Weenie’ is a good discipline if done using the Keith Bontrager rule:

Strong, Light, Cheap – pick two.

saleem
    Free Member

Just eat half your lunch, 130g+ save there.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I love getting my xc bike lighter
    Ti bolts , 1 x 9
    Ti cassette
    Etc
    But the two bike I use the most are just plain average builds
    With stuff that works xt cassette is a great balance of cost and weight

Light is good but not all the time

Pierre

Pah! Amateurs! Come back when you’ve started getting busy with the drill and the Dremel. 😉

br
    Free Member

Just eat half your lunch, 130g+ save there.

As well.

Based on the guys I ride with, having a lighter bike helps me get up hills quicker/easier than blokes far younger than me – especially at the end of a long day.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help I'm turning into a weight weenie.’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.