Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • help! – idiotic disk brake adjustment mishap
  • eddie11
    Free Member

right, whilst adjusting an avid juicy 3 caliper to stop some brake rub i somehow managed to absent mindedly unscrew one of the allen bolts that holds the flippin caliper together rather than the one that holds the caliper in the fork.

hey presto oil everywhere – contaminated disk pads, rotor and a brake that seems to be bubbling a mixture of air and oil out of its joints. oh how i laughed.

Now please tell me 'all' i need to do is tighten up the bolts that hold the caliper together (which ive done) and fill/bleed the brake and it will work again. I've not knackered have i?

dmiller
    Free Member

Between the two halves of the caliper is a small washer around the hole that lets fluid move between the two – hopefully that didnt move.

If it didnt then tightening it up *should* be enough.

If it did then you get a spare washer with a piston service kit (mine were about £8 from a local LBS).

I needed to replace the Piston seals but never managed to get it to work again when I took mine apart.

Good luck!

Onzadog
    Free Member

that, plus clean the rotor with IPA and replace the pads

theflatboy
    Free Member
    eddie11
    Free Member

oh dear indeed

hmm thanks, i only undid it a little bit so hopefully that washer is still there. fingers crossed

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be some kind of dismemberment thread.

eddie11
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be some kind of dismemberment thread.

sorry, only damage to pride and wallet

coatesy
    Free Member

If you only undid one bolt then the o-ring will not have moved as it sits in a groove, so tighten, clean and bleed and it should be fine other than contaminated pads. New o-rings are available separately from any dealer with an "Avid tackle box" for less than a quid if you do need one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘help! – idiotic disk brake adjustment mishap’ is closed to new replies.