Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help! I can't get my tyre on….
  • dan1980
    Free Member

Any tips on fitting a very tight tyre on a new rim?

qwerty
    Free Member

washing up liquid to tyre bead and rim & tough plastic tyre levers

bighendo
    Free Member

start opposite the valve first
    constantly check the bead is in the well of the rim
    washing up liquid

speaker2animals

Washing up liquid solution. Always worked on motorbike tyres back in the day. And they are much harder to get on than cycle tyres. In my experience though I appreciate there are some very stubborn combinations about. I recently got one of the Crank Bros tyre levers from one of those Sunday morning cycle sales for £3.00. They can be used for fitting as well as removing and I have found they help a real treat. I'd advise even buying one at full price and triply so if you can get one for £3!

dan1980
    Free Member

Been trying since half 7 to get this sodding tyre on, and it's still not happening! 👿

nuke

Is this for use with inner tubes? What happens if you get a puncture on the trail?

spacemonkey

I had a nightmare with some tyres recently – did some asking around and picked up one of these: Crank Bros speed lever.

Made the job a whole lot easier. Plus it even speeds up removal too.

sv

There is a handy video on the Stans website showing on to get UST tyres onto their rims. The method would work for normal tyres too and the speed lever is very good too!

doug_basqueMTB.com

washing up liquid and water. Start opposite the valve as said above. Every time the tire gets to the point it's tight you need to go back round the bit you've already got onto the rim and make sure that both beads are pushed into the central well. Once you've checked that you should get another few mm's onto the rim, then go round again. Keep on doing it until you're there. Make sure there's no air in your tube too, that's stopped me in the past.

That's what I've learned from having to get dual ply HR's onto my FR2350 rims. It seems impossible at first. I still have to use tyre levers for the last little bit though. If I get a puncture on the trail you're going to hear a lot of swearing!

Johnbot
    Free Member

Start shouting at it, aways works for me

dan1980
    Free Member

Thanks Spacemonkey. Just got a speed lever, and had the tyre on in a matter of seconds. Then off because I'd forgotten to put the inner tube in, then back on again!

:mrgreen:

Tracey

I got one of the cyclo levers for christmas. Great piece of kit, what would take me ages now takes seconds and no more broken nails

Tracey

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help! I can't get my tyre on….’ is closed to new replies.