Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • HELP – how do fix this in the next 2 hours?!?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Given the number of repeated incidents at the same site, one would have thought they may have a better warning system.

This ones outside my old office.

https://goo.gl/maps/uR4SvScsrwa8UpZD6

See that bridge up ahead? See that big motorway style flashing sign that’s triggered by a beam half a mile back down the road? If you can zoom in you can probably see the mountain of discarded fiberglass from lorries hitting it pretty frequently.

Turns out that however big and flashing the sign is, people just don’t pay any attention to them!

That bridge must be built out of damn strong stuff.

It’s more that trucks are surprisingly flimsy.

IHN

This ones outside my old office.
    https://goo.gl/maps/uR4SvScsrwa8UpZD6

You are Ali G and I claim my five pounds

molgrips
    Free Member

Time for a dose of 11 foot 8

I like the one that brakes sharply so the front of the vehicle dips to get under the bar then makes it through with a bit of paint off the back half.

sl2000

Turns out that however big and flashing the sign is, people just don’t pay any attention to them!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/australias-water-curtain-stop-signs-are-a-great-idea-506915576/amp

brakes
    Free Member

mrs brakes had a go at fixing it….

then the King exercised his alpha dominance by claiming credit for it

hols2
    Free Member

You need some FiberFix, mate.

brakes
    Free Member

I forgot to update everyone on this….

mrs bakes had a go at fixing it…

I built a “jig” – clamps were too short… so I improvised. Wasn’t great but it worked.

silkaflexed it to some thick ply

resined the crack

It’s definitely strong. The finish isn’t great, so I might put some more resin in and maybe try and touch up the crack another way. You can’t see the ply unless you look underneath. I might grind out the crack and make it a “feature”, but I probably won’t. The cat will probably break it again before then.
    I also drilled out the legs and replaced the threaded inserts with bolts right through.

Pretty pleased with the results.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Try “there was this wasp…”

Sandwich

Next time type DROP (plus table name) and problem all gone, it was never there guv.

CountZero

Fill the top of the crack with a gold metallic filler, or epoxy mixed with gold powder paint, let it set, use a Stanley knife blade to carefully shave it flat, then seal it and polish. This is a Japanese method of repair called Kintsugi that celebrates the fact that things get damaged.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/mind/kintsugi-should-embrace-imperfections-japanese-way/

maccruiskeen

Fill the cat with a gold metallic filler, or epoxy mixed with gold powder paint,

akira

Yeah build a new table out of whatever that yellow thing is made out of.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

8 metal brackets to hold that wooden bit seems overkill when the weight of the actual table top is supported by the frame sides of the table structure.

Why does it need to be fixed and why the time constraint. I have only just seen this thread so might not be able to help in time but thought I would check.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Don’t leave that kettle bell in the room.

theotherjonv

I watched the Repair Shop last night on BBC (wonderful program, great craft and lovely stories) and one piece was rebuilding a smashed alabaster lampshade from about 40 bits back into the whole.

I know it’s too late for you but they didn’t use a large piece of ply, araldite, or a kettlebell, and they made a way better job of it than you 😉

I like the idea of highlighting the repair rather than hiding it. A stylish crack that you like looking at sounds way better than a horrible old one you try to hide away.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Snigger.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘HELP – how do fix this in the next 2 hours?!?’ is closed to new replies.