Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • HELP! HELP! PANIC! LAPTOP SCREEN DEAD! HELP! AAAAARRRGGGHHH!
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

It’s an old Dell that was kindly given to me, but the screen is now completely dead (was going dim tbh). I have hooked it up to an external monitor, but it’s configured to use 2 screens in extended desktop mode, not in mirroring mode!

Oh, Woe is me… 😥

I really need this for work tonight.

Trouble is, external monitor is recognised, but I can’t login to the lappy, so it’s stuck in the Windoze login screen.

HEEEEEEEEELLLPPPP!!!!!!!

wwaswas

there’s normally a blue function key + another key on the keyboard to swicth between screen settings on dell.

you could also try F1 when booting and manually switch it on the bios to the extrenal monitor?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bury it. It’s dead.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

(Sobs uncontrollably)

jfeb
    Free Member

Function button + F4 should toggle between modes for your external monitor.

Also, you should be able to log in still – your id should default so just type your password and press [Enter]

caledonia
    Free Member

Which Model is it ?

As wwawas said, press and hold the FN key (usually blue and bottom left of the keyboard) and look for the Function key which has either LCD\CRT or a picturre of two screens on it. Press that also.
    F2 or F4 as i recall, this should toggle between Dual Monitors (with extended desktop) Laptop screen only, or External Monitor only.
    Each time you do it, it may take a couple of seconds for eather screen to respond.

If you’ve not yet re-booted the thing yet, I’d also do that as these keys mean different things once the machine has re-booted with the external monitor plugged in.

Cale

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Fn and the F key with a picture of a little monitor or similar on it

it’ll toggle between 3 modes ie. lcd only/lcd+output/output only

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Tried the Fn+ monitor/ LCD/CRT thingies, not working.

HEEEEELLLPPP!

Can I get itno the bloody thing, using my other PC?

wwaswas

only if it’s setup to allow remote desktop access which if you’ve nto done it before is unlikely.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

restart with the screen plugged in

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

if that fails restart whilst pressing f8 (select safe mode if prompted). this will start it in a very basic mode (no support for split destktop)

Jenga
    Free Member

On my Dell laptop it’s F8 for the CRT/LCD switch, with the blue FN key.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Open window, pick up laptop, throw laptop out of window, sorted.

takisawa2

How are you typing this then ?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

GaryM’s option is soooooo tempting…

taki; on me Mac, iinnit??!?!

I have several computers. ATM, looks like I might have to drag a bloody great iMac down to work…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hang on a minute lads, I’ve got a great idea….

RudeBoy
    Free Member

PANIC OVER!

I managed, somehow,to be able to login, but the thing was set to ‘extended dekstop’, so I couldn’t access the Control Panel! Had to open a new folder on the extended space, then somehow mmanaged to access the CP that way, don’t ask me how…

Switched off the ED feature, and hey presto! All on the big screen!

I’m using a projector anyway, so it’s actually easier like this.

Thanks for all those who offered help, though.

Not PeterPoddy, mind, because that was not helpful at all, and quite frankly, rather silly and immature.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Actually, I think now might be the time to reveal that the screen died, due to, erm, a slight accident… 😯

Gary_M
    Free Member

I managed, somehow,to be able to login

This translates to ‘I wasn’t logging in right in the first place and then noticed I was doing it wrong’ 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘HELP! HELP! PANIC! LAPTOP SCREEN DEAD! HELP! AAAAARRRGGGHHH!’ is closed to new replies.