• This topic has 35 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Help: Hanging bikes on the wall by the front wheel..
  • djglover
    Free Member

… with ladder hooks

How do I get them to line up perpendicular to the wall, rather than fall parallel, thus:

Help

clubber
    Free Member

different hooks!

DrP

Well you need the hook at 90 degrees don’t you?
    Either use a bit of 2×4 to have it at a right angle, or get “davinci” bike hooks??

DrP

FOG

Why isn’t your garage covered in assorted crap like mine?

djglover
    Free Member

Ah, I’ll stick them on a bit of wood then!

Ta

aP
    Free Member

I just went to decathlon instead and bought their 5 bike hanging unit.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what he said, need somethign that looks like this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_242557_productId_249484_langId_-1?cm_mmc=Shopping-_-Google%20Product%20Search-_-Bike%20Parts%20%26%20Accessories%2FBike%20Maintenance%20%26%20Tools%2FBike%20Covers%20%26%20Stands-_-Mottez%20Bike%20Storage%20Wheel%20Hook&source=shopping

I’ve got some that screw straight in, the kind you’d normally put in a ceiling. The only problem is the bike puts a lot more force on the hook than just it’s weight, after a few rawl plugs pulling out I gave up an and hooks in the ceiling at the right distance from the wall and put some wood batons on the wall to hold the wheels steady.

postierich
    Free Member

You need these hooks!

PC300040 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

pudd
    Free Member

Doing that will square your wheels.

baznav73
    Free Member

Word of warning to owners of mavic wheels with the inter spoke milling don’t hang your bikes like this you can dent the rims.

druidh
    Free Member

What does that mean?

djglover
    Free Member

They are still round. And they’ve been like that for a week. I think pot holes will try and do more damage?

druidh
    Free Member

djglover – I have bikes that have been hung up like that for years, not weeks. I’m still waiting to hear what “squaring your wheels” means.

Woody
    Free Member

I think it was an attempt at humour druidh 😆

pudd
    Free Member

Any force applied to a given area over extended periods on alloy will break down the substrate metals causing them to gradually stretch out of round. As such the weakened metals will buckle easier if bumped in the same said patch of wheel that’s been hung.

druidh
    Free Member

Cool. Could you go over to the 9/11 thread and apply your engineering /material skillz there too?

🙄

Woody
    Free Member

Oh – it wasn’t 😳 but 😆

pudd
    Free Member

I’m sorry; i made it up. Tis’ all bollocks. And I’m embarrassed when i read it back. Once again I’m sorry.

iain1775
    Free Member

…so hanging from front wheel mon-wed then back wheel thurs-sun is ok? 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

If you hang your 26″s when and turn them by one spoke every hour then eventually they will stretch out until they are 29ers 😀
    WIN!!

postierich
    Free Member

😆 @ Rorschach!

andyl
    Free Member

tbh I have never liked the idea of hanging a bike by a wheel. The point loading just seems like a bad idea.

A couple of things to check are that your brakes are definitely well bled as any air may migrate up to the caliper if higher than the lever and if you have certain rockshox forks (my U-turn dual air revs did this) lower leg oil can leak out of the U-turn mechanism if the bike is left upside down.

druidh
    Free Member

Front wheel up will keep your fork seals moist and working better.

djglover
    Free Member

given how much I use that mtb, thats probably a good thing.

nosedive
    Free Member

I got some of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32171&gclid=CJ2tu5f1-bICFUJd3god_F0AHg

and put them into a wall with a 10mm rawl plug. I set them at a height so the back wheel is on the ground to take some of the weight

seems fine to me

andyl
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Front wheel up will keep your fork seals moist and working better.

It will indeed. I think it was TFT (I could be mistaken) who told me to put the bike upside down once in a while to keep the wipers/foam rings lubed up.

brakes
    Free Member

or they will leak from the lock-out and piss oil all over your shed floor.

bikebob

Baznav – is that correct re mavins? Just got myself a nice pair and still deciding how to store but hooks in ceiling joist and hang front wheel was my preferred route.. Until I say yr note

So what other options to store multiple bikes. Mine have cable under top tube so can’t even use TT as a support.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve got Mavic Ksyriums with contoured rims, but that’s on a road bike that weighs naffs all. I have to say, I’ve never heard of that issue before though.

bencooper
    Free Member

tbh I have never liked the idea of hanging a bike by a wheel. The point loading just seems like a bad idea.

What about the point loading of standing a bike on its wheels – that’s only pressing on one part of the wheel. Then to make it worse you put a person on it and go hit some rocks 🙂

lipseal
    Free Member

I think sitting on the bike while hung, will cause damage. 😉

IHN

Going back to the OP, could you not just rotate the hooks you have by 90deg?

tinsy
    Free Member

OP, it is direction your hooks are at, but you knew that.

Its all a compromise to be honest the way you have them takes up more wall but less internal space, having them hanging into the garage takes up less wall but a lot more space.

All depends on your own layout as to whats best.

I have just bought one of those Aldi stands, its great, much less agro than getting the bikes onto the hooks I used before.

bikebob

nbt

I’ve been doing it for ten years now and it’s never caused me any problems

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Help: Hanging bikes on the wall by the front wheel..’ is closed to new replies.