Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help – gears/shifter won't index?
  • core

9 speed cassette, deore rear mech & shifter.

The basic problem is that the shifter seems to go through all it’s travel by the time I’ve gone half way up the cassette. I’ve checked the cable, it’s doesn’t appear to be snagging anywhere, re-adjusted derailleur limit screws, re-tensioned cable, you name it, as much as my basic bike mechanic skills allow me…….

I’m probably missing something blindingly obvious or doing something fundamentally wrong, but it’s got me stumped. It’s just as if there aren’t enough clicks in the shifter.

Any thoughts please?

chiefgrooveguru

It sounds like something is out with the cable pull ratio. Is it routed into the mech correctly?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I might be wide of the mark as it’s hard to diagnose at distance, but:

Give the inside of the shifter a GOOD LONG squirt if GT85 until it’s dripping out the bottom. In through the cable change screw hole, then work the levers for a bit, maybe repeat, then report back here

core

Off to try that now, and check cable routing…..

rickon
    Free Member

Shift to the smallest gear at the back, now undo the cable at the mech, pull it through tight, do up, then try again 🙂

Make sure in the lowest gear that your limit screw holds the mech in that position, with the cable taught.

core

Did the GT85 thing through both screw holes in the top of the shifter, cycled it up & down the range a few times with cable slack, could tell it was fixed immediately, all the clicks came back. Adjusted mech & cable tension, sorted!

Thanks PeterPoddy

RustyMac

How is the alignment of the hanger? could this have been bent out from the frame somehow?

core

Must have posted at the same time Mac, but as a separate issue, hanger was bent & has just replaced as it happens…….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help – gears/shifter won't index?’ is closed to new replies.