Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Help for someone who now apparently knows NOTHING about bikes anymore…..
  • officialtob
    Free Member

Hi everyone

I have recently (past 6 months) made a return to mountain biking after being VERY into it in my teens (some 10 years ago..how time flies). I have been completely ‘out of the loop’ for the entire 10 years, and I have some MASSIVE catching up to do in terms of technology, components, etc etc.

I need some help/advice/guidance/alloftheabove. I have dusted off my 10 year old (apparently now known as ‘vintage’) Maxlight, and to be fair, it’s still doing well on the trails, and I’m easily able to keep up with the rest of the group, both uphill and down hill. HOWEVER, I have realised that I need/want to upgrade a few things, because I’m not really in the position to get a new bike, plus I genuinely don’t think I need one, if I spend a little bit of money on ye olde Maxlight.

So after a very long introduction (sorry) the first and most important thing on my list is brakes, and upgrading do some hydro discs. My first question would be whether there is a big enough benefit of buying Shimano SLX or XT over good ole Deore? I am slightly weight conscious, however I am VERY price conscious.

My next question would be whether I need a specific style or size of rotor? I think size wise 180 up front and 160 at the back seems ok?

And FINALLY… I have ‘vintage’ Bomber forks (2002) that have a disc mount, but I’m noticing that discs now seem to be ‘post mounted’? Is this a new type of mount, and would I need an adapter for that age fork?

Oh and ONE other question (sorry)… I currently have Deore shifters and brake lever in one… would I need to get new shifters to fit the new disc lever?

Thanks in advance for any help….I have a feeling there may be a few more questions coming everyones way too at some point…. 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

Keep the Bombers, in case you get burgled.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my new deore brakes are incredible. Can’t imagine there is much performance upgrade to XT (obviously a weight drop though)

180 160 is a great all round combo.

you will need an adapter to go 180, IS (what you have) to post mount 180 should be easy to find.

yes you’ll need new shifters. 9 speed?

do you need disc wheels? by the time you’ve bought all the bits you *might* be better off buying a new bike.

ski
    Free Member

No advice, just a pat on the back for getting back into it 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

Why do you feel the need to upgrade?

Just ‘cos kit has progressed in technology, doesn’t mean the old stuff is useless…

My brakes are from 2006 (previously 2002), frames from 2000 and 2002, and rims from 2000.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

May mate has some Bombers of a similar age and was told buy the LBS a few years ago that he shouldn’t put discs on. They are IS mount (same as yours) but apparently they lower leg construction isn’t sturdy enough to take a dics brake set up. That’s what the mechanic said anyway, I’m sure someone else will contradict this.

Have a look in the classifieds, you could pick up a decent pair of RS Rebas for £150. Just make sure you measure your head tube and check that they’ll fit before you buy.

Regarding the leavers, you’ll have to get separate shifters to replace the integrated ones, if you were to put Hydro discs on.

officialtob
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice thomthumb 🙂

With regards to the wheels – I’ll just keep my current wheels for now, and when financial circumstances permit, will have a look for a new set (possibly fleabay..).

Why do you feel the need to upgrade?

Basically because I recently replaced my front V brake from XT (which was pretty decent for a V brake) to Deore, and that just doesnt cut it when clogged up with mud etc. Plus i’m sick of the rim wearing down too. I definitely don’t want to upgrade anything just because “the new version is shiny and pretty” – will be strictly “as necessary”.

Also, thanks topgunsteve..

I’m sure someone else will contradict this

Lets hope they do, or that would be the perfect business case for a new bike.. 👿

jimc101
    Free Member

10 years old isn’t current, it’s just old, and is a long way from being vintage, you need another 5-10 years to even start that.

For you brakes, what do you have now? if rim, you need new wheels, brakes & shifters, would look at total cost vs replacement bike, it may be cheaper to buy a new one; a few parts can add up very quickly to the cost of a new bike.

If you already have discs, and price concious, would just go for M596 Deore.

Brakes, 180f/160r is nice for XC

Disc mounts have been Post as standard for years now, most were back in 2002, all are now, IS adaptors are available to convert Post to IS, with different ones being needed for different rotor sizes.

For your shifter question, what do you have now? guessing as you have STI’s, are they rim brakes? if so, back to the cost of a replacement bike vs upgrades; unless you have DCL’s (M535) then you will still need separate shifters / brake levers if you change the brake type.

xiphon
    Free Member

Upgrade to disks is wise – and the IS mounts on your forks will be fine (does your frame have mounts too?) – most brakes come with adapters to suit the rotor size

argoose
    Free Member

New discs
    Shifters
    Forks
    possibly wheels
    Have you thought about a cycle to work scheme bike
    Or putting the money by and saving for a new bike

topgunsteve
    Free Member

there’s always the C2W schemes if you all this chat pushes that far…

I_Ache
    Free Member

You might have to upgrade your wheels. It is unusual for bikes to come with v brakes and then have disc ready hubs. Some did but not loads. Do you have disc ready hubs?

You will also need disc mounts on your frame.

As for what to buy, Deore brakes and shifters will do you fine. You might get adaptors with the discs you just need to specify what sort you need.

Having said that if you need new brakes c£120 new shifters c£50 and maybe new wheels c£150 then you are in the territory of it possibly being more worthwhile to buy a new bike. This looks great for only £500!

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOINX526/on_one_inbred_x5_26er_bike

RustyMac

If you are looking down the line of deore shifters and brakes then i would have a think about the groupset deal that merlin have at the monent.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/groupsets-mtb/deore-10-speed-disc-brake-groupset.html

£250 will get you new deore brakes including disks, new shifters and an entire new drive train.

If you need new wheels there are plenty on merlins site from £90 a pair upwards.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/mountain-bike-wheels/factory-mountain-bike-wheels/shimano-mt15-wheels-black-pair-free-slx-rotors.html

or these for £130

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/mountain-bike-wheels/factory-mountain-bike-wheels/mavic-crossride-disc-wheels-pair.html

officialtob
    Free Member

You might have to upgrade your wheels. It is unusual for bikes to come with v brakes and then have disc ready hubs. Some did but not loads. Do you have disc ready hubs?

Yeah, I built the bike up myself all those years ago with the view of putting discs on it…but put it off, then my bike took a 10 year holiday to the Shed. So wheels have Deore disc ready hubs, and the frame has the mount too.

With regards to the C2W scheme, I would go down that route, but my employer has been stingy and set their budget at £500 (they are worried the WHOLE company will want a bike at the same time I think… clearly not going to happen) – and if I’m going to buy an entire new bike, I would like it to be a pretty big step up (would probably go down the 0% finance route).

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Keep the maxlight they are great frames, very comfy and fast and not at all dated. Deore discs are great, bombers are decent enough so my advice – get disc brakes (used ones are even cheaper) and ignore all the forum nonsense about how you need to upgrade to the latest fashion. As you say, you can keep up with your riding buddies. What else matters?

TiRed

If the frame has disk mounts, get some Avid BB7 cable disk brakes. If it already has cable disks, I’d still upgrade as these brakes are as good as hydraulics. Otherwise you will need new shifters.

EDIT : just read your post above. Buy a set of BB7 brakes (MTB version), rotors and XT cables, and you are done. Thank me later.

andrewh
    Free Member

TGSteve, I woouldn’t worry. I have a set of 2003 Jr Ts with 203mm rotors (2011 Formula The Ones) and they can handle it fine, I can’t see a 180mm Deore/SLX being able to any harm to a simialr vintage fork. (on that subject I would much prefer second-hand XTR/XT over new SLX/Deore for the same price)
    Also, a point about disc mounts. Post-mount changed from 68mm to 74mm somewhere around 2000/2001 and IS changed by a couple of mm at the same time too. Measure before buying anything!

scaredypants

how about cable discs ? – 90% of the benefits of hydraulic and will work with your existing levers
    Avid BB7 would be my recommendation. They’re post mount but IS brackets are readily available (and may well still come with the brakes if you buy new). Probably around 100 quid all in.

Oops, didn’t notice djaustin’s excellent advice above

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s what the mechanic said anyway, I’m sure someone else will contradict this.

All I’ll say is this: Who do you trust? A huge suspension company (they make motorcycle bounce too) that knows how to design a fork or an LBS mechanic?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Double post.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I rode a maxlight for a few years, loved it and if I wanted another trail hardtail that’s what I would want to buy. It’s current, standard and fresh. NO NEED TO ‘UPGRADE’!

D0NK

I had Glasgow dans max light after him and rode it till it broke, great riding bike just wish it had lasted longer, thinking of getting another.

I have some old bombers and they did used to use none IS tabs, might have been an old formula design, dunno when they switched to IS, maybe get LBS to check.

Bb7 will be a cheap way to upgrade to disks otherwise gonna get pricey

jimc101
    Free Member

I have some 2001 Z2’s and they use the current IS standard, been running it with 160mm XTR discs for years with no issues,

stratobiker
    Free Member

aRE YOU ENJOing your ride?# HAXOR??! £$

Then nO need to cHainGe”??#

SB

scaredypants

woooooaaahhhhh !

pint half of whatever strato’s on, please !

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Is that a ransom note?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Help for someone who now apparently knows NOTHING about bikes anymore…..’ is closed to new replies.