• This topic has 65 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by _tom_.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Help for a mate: He has £1100. He needs a bike for the alps.
  • Alex

Good mate of mine has a very tired old Spesh Enduro from about 2007. Needs new everything (transmission, wheels, brakes, dropper post, etc) and all the bushings are shot. We totalled up the cost of fixing it and it was about £1000 to do it properly.

For that money, my view is he’d be better off with a 2nd hand AM type bike. It’s for an alps trip that will have some pedalling (not just uplifts). For comparison I’m taking my Mega AM. He’s a Medium (5ft8ish) on every bike he’s had.

Very much a spesh fan but open to offers. I’m assuming there’s nothing off the shelf that’s going to come down to that budget unless anyone has seen some amazing offers. Failing that (and apologies Mods if this should be in the wanted section), anyone have anything for sale.

He’s in London, I’m in Herefordshire. Bikes near either of those places preferred.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pink Bike Classifieds is one of the places to head

weeksy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bionicon-SuperShuttle-Medium-Big-travel-Full-Suspension-All-Mountain-Enduro-Bike-/151293280435?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2339c840b3

That is an ABSOLUTE bargain… beyond all comprehension.

I used one a couple of years back in Morzine and it was superb.

I sold it for £850 and that was a bargain…. For that money… it’s a steal.

No, I’m not associated to the bloke selling it in any way at all.

eightyeight
    Free Member

What Mike said. Pinkbike, filter by location, price (put it up to £1500, people might be open to barter) and size and you’re away.

andyrm
    Free Member

As Weeksy has said – that Supershuttle is a BARGAIN!!!

Essentially think of it as a 5/Alpine160 on steroids. Adjustable geo/travel, bulletproof construction.

Roger (Bionicon UK boss man) is a top guy and on hand for full support etc.

Wish I’d kept my Supershuttle TBH.

Alex

I’ll emailed him that link. And I’ll have a look at pink bike when I get home. Ta.

johnhe

There was a bloke in the classifieds selling a Spesh Pitch for £750 (from memory) which would be ideal.

weeksy

andyrm – Member

As Weeksy has said – that Supershuttle is a BARGAIN!!!

Essentially think of it as a 5/Alpine160 on steroids. Adjustable geo/travel, bulletproof construction.

Roger (Bionicon UK boss man) is a top guy and on hand for full support etc.

Wish I’d kept my Supershuttle TBH

If I didn’t have the Commencal I’d buy this all day just for a fun/BPW bike….

almightydutch
    Free Member

Bionicon might be a bargain if it was all working 100%

Sadly that one isn’t, Pinkbike is the Answer loadsa choice

currently on there for £1300

for £950 with new 888’s?

weeksy

almightydutch – Member

Bionicon might be a bargain if it was all working 100%

£100 with Roger at Bionicon would see both shocks serviced and working. £25 on a bottom bracket….

atlaz
    Free Member

Shame, if he’d wanted a DH bike, I have a cheap one for sale and if he was down there for the PdS I could even have delivered it

Northwind

The Bionicon does give me “might need pretty much everything replaced” feels but still.

Pinkbike for me, possibly with keywords like “Patriot”.

acjim
    Free Member

Bit of a classic?

Bullit £750 (not related to seller!)

Bullit for sale

tomaso
    Free Member

I picked up a Pitch last year for £560 and it only really needed a new back wheel. They are cheap and plentiful to find and buy. Plenty solid enough for the Alps, maybe add a Lyrik fork.

PS Have you seen the medium Mega and Lyriks in the classifieds? Its cheap and you could add wheels and a Deore groupset and be sorted.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The obvious answer that’s been echoed all around here is “Specialized Pitch with Lyriks”, truly a classic bike in the making that does everything it says on the tin.

Surely a used Spesh SX trail or even an Enduro Evo will fall into that budget range?

If you’re looking to build something then I can wholly recommend a Marin Quad 140 frame, there are plenty about and they handle abuse extremely well.

hora
    Free Member

Needs new everything (transmission, wheels, brakes, dropper post, etc

Does it? For a trip to the Alps? A dropper really?

Refresh the bearings onthe frame. Get the brakes bled, I don’t see why he needs a new bike?!

OR…why not just hire one? Less hassle, no excess charges at the airport etc.

When he gets back he’ll want a totally new bike anyway as he’ll see lots out there, discussing, bitten by the bug etc so WAIT until hes back before pulling the permanent trigger.

rOcKeTdOg

Hora, that’s good advice

Did I just type that? 🙂

cookeaa

I’m with Hora, Just how humped can his Enduro be seriously?

Honestly “…£1000 to do it properly…”? or has a bit of snobbery dragged the pair of you up budget on every last detail?

Alex

Hiring one might be a good shout. No snobbery here but thanks for making the assumption. I love STW, good advice rubs along with people trolling.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a pitch in bits in the garrage, most/all of what in the photo.

Only thing that needs fixing is the reverb hose stain reliever at the post end, it’s works and doesn’t leak, but I’d not trust it on a week in the Alps.

Make me an offer.

cookeaa

No snobbery here but thanks for making the assumption. I love STW, good advice rubs along with people trolling.

Trolling? Nobody told you to top yourself..
    A couple of us were just questioning how you can burn a grand refurbishing a slightly older bike for a trip to the alps, what’s the bike’s spec, whats the state of it, what were you actually proposing to replace/repair and why?

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

Im the guy with the pitch for sale for £750 have a look at my posts it has some upgrades too like a fox dhx 5 air so perfect for the Alps!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Pitch for the money. It’s what I was looking at for that sort of price a while back.

Plenty of mediums around too, and the last year (2011 IIRC) was totally reworked for 150mm forks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Plenty of mediums around too, and the last year (2011 IIRC) was totally reworked for 150mm forks.

It wasn’t (I’ve got one), they just re-did the geometry table to say it was 0.5deg slacker, longer wheelbase, etc, the only actual changes were the fork and tyres.

tomaso
    Free Member

/\/\140 Pikes changed to 150 Sektors were the only geometry difference.

The OP says drivetrains wheels dropper & bushings are shot and the bike is 7 years old so tired too as maybe the forks. So I would sack it off and buy another bike.

I wouldn’t hire as you could buy an Alps bike and flog it for similar money upon return.
    stw mega lyriks wheels etc – not mine!

atlaz
    Free Member

So yeah, anyone want a specialized big hit? I can deliver to Morzine at the end of June 😉

crouchingpig
    Free Member

OT: Do you guys fly to the alps or drive over?

if you fly – fairly inexpensive to take your own bike on a holiday?

Alex

Thanks all. Dropped a mail to ben
    We’re driving over

Alex

Oh for info, current enduro has two cracked rims, hubs probably salvageable but need new bearings. All shock bushings/pivot bearings need changing (shop quoted £150 – Yes i know it could be done cheaper but he has no access to tools/workshop), he wants a reverb after testing a new enduro with one, needs new transmission 1×10 or 2×10 and new brakes. And again having ridden a demo, wants some longer bars. Forks and Headset are good 😉 Oh and both tyres are bald!

weeksy

crouchingpig – Member

OT: Do you guys fly to the alps or drive over?

if you fly – fairly inexpensive to take your own bike on a holiday?

2012 we drove. 2014 we’re flying. Taking your own bike is £75. By the time you put in hire costs as £200 for 3 days, then equate that to new pads, tyres, damage etc on your own bike, along with £75 flight costs, it works out better to just hire on for our 3 riding days.

firestarter
    Free Member

Full deore groupset inc brakes 250 at merlin and your well on the way 😉

HansRey

+1 for a marin frame. IIRC, somebody was selling a quake on the classifieds quite recently. It was cheap and would be ideal. 167mm suspension on the rear and ideally 170mm or more on the front.

Great bike indeed

edit
    found them

frame: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-marin-quake-frame-dh-wheels-rental-howies-ccdb-lots-more

full bike:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-marin-quake-73-2008-600

winston
    Free Member

Sunn Charger S1 in CRC? £1400 so a bit off budget but lot of bike for the money 170mm Lyriks, Formula, Hilo dropper

Sunn have gone bust so only 1 year warranty from CRC but still 1 year more than a secondhand bike

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It wasn’t (I’ve got one), they just re-did the geometry table to say it was 0.5deg slacker, longer wheelbase, etc, the only actual changes were the fork and tyres.

/\/\140 Pikes changed to 150 Sektors were the only geometry difference.

Fair enough – I was using this as a basis. Shortening the headtube and increasing standover seemed appropriate given the longer fork: http://factoryjackson.com/2010/11/28/tested-2011-specialized-pitch-pro/#.U3SJEl5arkM

hora
    Free Member

Am I missing something? How is a Pitch better than an Enduro?

Spend 700+ for what reason then?!

Refresh your current then post holiday sell the frame and transplant everything over to a new frame.

Plus its a bike you know, so no added nerves/jittery. Plus when your back you’d want something entirely different… not be left with an old Pitch.

haggis1978

What Hora said ^^^

mrhoppy

Sell a bike with a load of known, relatively easy to rectify problems to buy a 2nd hand one with unknown ones. No ta. From what you’re describing needs doing I’d think it could be covered off for about £6-700 easily but in all liklihood a fair bit cheaper.

And he might want a dropper but the Alps is one of the places I don’t think they add much.

porter_jamie

A grand? Bearings about 35 quid. Slx ice brakes from wiggle 100 a pair. New bb maybe 25. Wheels? New bearings tenner. New rim is only 45 quid. Fork seals and oil are next to nothing. New cables all round. New chain 17, cassette 25

All needs doing anyway

dragon
    Free Member

Yikes, I’m another voting with Hora. Seems dumb not to just fix what he’s got already. You aren’t racing so Deore level kit or similar will be perfect. No need to spend a fortune, it’s only messing around on bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Help for a mate: He has £1100. He needs a bike for the alps.’ is closed to new replies.