Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Help fix my heating – 2 out of 7 radiators stone cold, other 5 piping hot
  • Bear
    Free Member

Have you all got a copy?

Tiboy

Bear, I’d appreciate a copy, this thread has only just come to my attention and I need to sort out our rads! email is msol644 AT hotmail DOT com Thanks

Any recommendations for a wireless stat btw, we’ve currently got a drayton wired jobbie but the previous owner put it in the conservatory which makes for some random tempertures in the rest of the house?!? 😕

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I haven’t seen these notes but the problem I’ve had in the past is finding “the radiator that heats up first”.
    Is there a way of finding out that is better than the guesswork of running round house and feeling the rads?

Maybe I need to run faster?

Aristotle
    Free Member

Simple Wireless one

Programmable Wireless One

I’ve had one of the simple ones for a couple of years and it’s been great. Friends and family have bought them since and have also been happy with them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have the salus programmable one linked above

Does the job fine here

Aristotle
    Free Member

I haven’t seen these notes but the problem I’ve had in the past is finding “the radiator that heats up first”.
    Is there a way of finding out that is better than the guesswork of running round house and feeling the rads?

Maybe your system is already well-balanced??

The next step is to measure the flow and return temperatures when the system has warmed-up and adjust the lock-stops to achieve the desired temp drops.

verses

Hooray, the rad in the hall that’s never worked is now nice and warm!

Thanks for the notes/tips.

dooosuk also passed on this vid which was very handy.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWbxccVDpc[/video]

dooosuk
    Free Member

Glad someone else has had success 🙂

crofts2007
    Free Member

Thanks for the info on balancing, have just picked up some cheap thermometers off ebay to do the temperature balancing.
    If you can get them for a good price I would recommend the Danfoss TP5000 Si-RF, they are quite versatile, can be used as a standalone stat or programmable timer/stat. Paid £60 for one off ebay.

trail_rat
    Free Member

are the notes anything else other than setting an 11-12 degree temp drop over your inlet and outlet pipes ?

I guess im curious – as i have mine set up as above just wondering you know.

how ever i did do it in the order of closest to boiler – to furthest then checked them all again the next day

sam_underhill

Could I please have a copy of the document?

I balanced mine by running around the house making sure everything warmed up roughly at the same time, but it sounds like I could make things more efficient.

sam AT gettome DOT com

thanks.

dooosuk
    Free Member

are the notes anything else other than setting an 11-12 degree temp drop over your inlet and outlet pipes

That’s pretty much what’s in the notes…however I didn’t set mine this way. I just backed them off closed 1/4 turn as in the video and as the radiators fired up just left it at that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh ok , i just wondered as bears the expert im just a multi dicipline engineer 😉 ( jack of all master of none)

Bear
    Free Member

Trail – nope simple as that 11 deg unless modern condensing boiler then 20 deg.

I got fed up with explaining the process every time I wrote a report fro the NHBC about why the latest heating system wasn’t working so came up with an explanation of how and why etc.

meeeee
    Free Member

sorry to ressurrect an old thread but can anyone who has a copy of the legendary balancing notes please send them to me? Thanks

martindmail-singletrack AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk

meeeee
    Free Member

got this now, thanks dooosuk

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Help fix my heating – 2 out of 7 radiators stone cold, other 5 piping hot’ is closed to new replies.