Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help! Cycling cape wanted. Does anyone know who makes / supplies them?
  • alibongo001

As per title really one of my uncles is keen to get a breathable cycling cape to help him train for a LEJOG ride next year.

I have discussed modern cycling jackets with taped seams etc but his heart is set on a cape, with breathable fabric to protect him from the rain but allow sweat to escape.

I couldn’t think of anywhere to look except here!

All help appreciated, I hope I am still cycling when I am his age!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Get the carradice one! Best dressed lejogger ever!

yorlin
    Free Member

They might even do you a deal with a pipe and some tweed plus fours!

project
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycle-Pro-Cyclepro-Cape-Yellow/dp/B001F0QEHM

They dont half hold the wind, but very cool to ride in, havent used one since the seventies.

acehtn
    Free Member

Only one i have seen is by Brooks, not cheap, more traditonal waxed cotton. They may have others.
    Rapha ?

Maybe wildcat or alpkit would make one to order. Material should be fairly easy to get, and basicly a tarp with a head hole and taped edges. Should be easy enough for someone with access to a sewing machine to do one.

Non cycling, walkers still use poncho’s or cape’s, mostly cheap, might be some breatheable ones. Think Trekmates might do one, haven’t seen a posh gore/event fabric version.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Tell you what though cape plus no muddies…. unpleasant. Ask me how I know.

alibongo001

Excellent, thanks all.

3 options within 5 mins of posting!

Now can anyone help with the correct lottery numbers for saturday? 😆

alibongo001

joshvegas – how do you know?

jekkyl
    PiknMix
    Free Member

Water off a ducks back do a classy one.

acehtn
    Free Member

Quick google-fu

“Water off a ducks back” brand, found an unpriced out of stock listing on Evans, breathable and machine washable.

Trekmate’s are £20-30 for walking poncho.

Cape and no muddies = all the spray whooshs up underneath your cape 🙂

EDIT beaten to ducks 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

libongo001 – Member
    joshvegas – how do you know?

It involves dog poo and the fact you have to lift a cape over your head.

Deveron53
    Free Member

This company: Hilltrek do some traditional all-weather cycling clothing and also some made to measure in ventile. I was there on Saturday and the nice owner showed me a red cycling jacket that looked like something from the 1950s. He assured me all the long distance cyclists loved it. I can’t see it on the website but send him an email I’m sure he will sort you out.

bellefied
    Free Member

probably a silly question, but what happens when its wet and windy? Do you turn into a kite or does the cape just blow up and over your face like an umbrella turning inside out?

sangobegger
    Free Member

I thought only continentals used capes

alibongo001

Did I mention that is is a continental?

(Not really)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

They’re not the most aero option

acehtn
    Free Member

Joshvegas….. thats proper nasty with the poo 🙂

Extra speed with a tail wind though Mcmoonter

JohnnyPanic

No Capes !
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNUbPRj9TGM[/video]

OCB
    Free Member

Maybe not quite what you have in mind but …

I use / carry a ripstop ‘army poncho’ (about ~£15.00 from lots of military supply places). It’s not ideal for riding in, (actually it’s kinda rubbish for riding in 😉 ) but you can at least tie / tuck it up a bit to make it more manageable on the bike, (and a bit more protective off it).

Where they are genuinely useful tho’ is sitting out brief, grotty spells of weather if there isn’t much [other] shelter around and you get caught out. Definitely saves you getting too chilled and wet waiting for stuff to blow over, plus it’s something to sit on. No arms tho’.

I’ve always got one in my bag for my winter expeditions (an’ I also carry bothy bag now too, but that’d be impossible to ride in! 😯 ).

That ^ was about 30 seconds before a particularly vicious hailstorm pinned me in against that embankment, but I was still 100x more comfortable in it than I would have been without it.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

G-g-g-g-g-ghost cyclist!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help! Cycling cape wanted. Does anyone know who makes / supplies them?’ is closed to new replies.