Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help choosing 29er Hardtail
  • andyhindle
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking for some buying advice if possible please … I’ve been going around in circles looking for a new 29er. I like the idea of a high spec fork and drivetrain/brakes so that I don’t have to upgrade any time soon. Hardtail is my preference but I haven’t ridden full sus for a long time, so new lockout features may bring that into play.

My main riding will be XC around South Derbyshire but also a few rougher trails and forests etc. This will be my new “one bike to do it all” so looking to future proof.
    My budget is c.£1600 and ideally through CycleScheme.

Bikes I’ve narrowed it down to so far:

Specialized Fuse Expert – £1649
    Specialized Chisel X1 – £1200
    Giant Trance or other bikes – £2000?
    Virus?
    Orbea Laufey H LTD – £1660
    Canyon AL SL 8.0 £1399 on sale
    Canyon CF SL 7.0 £1619 on sale

I like the idea of buying from a shop so that would discount Canyon, and they are included on my bike to work scheme, but their value is huge compared to others. They have a carbon full sus for £2100 on sale now as well which looks incredible.

Can anyone suggest if I’m missing out on any other obvious bikes or where to narrow down?

Thanks!

andyhindle
    Free Member

Or Focus Raven 8.6 looks pretty good for £1550.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Genesis Mantle?
    I think there is a discounted carbon Whyte xc hardtail on Paul’s Cycles site within your budget

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

currently waiting for a canyon al sl 7.0 to land here.

just wanted a good all round bike. and it looks just that.

andypaul
    Free Member

I would go for the Canyon Al SL 8 ,with the exception of the fuse its much more of an all rounder than the other HT bikes mentioned, slacker geo and a 2 x drivetrain will give more flexibilty and a fantastic fork too. (fox 34)

The Fuse would be my second choice which is along similar lines to the Canyon, more expensive though for a like for like spec.

Going against this forum advice im not going to recommend a bike i own , the Chisel. As this has a judy fork and is a little flexy for all round use. It also has traditional XC geo and is great for going fast but you will find the limits quicker too.

andyhindle
    Free Member
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help choosing 29er Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.