Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Help buying a used road bike
  • stumpymark

Hi, buying a road bike to use with a Wahoo Kickr. Never owned a road bike before only mtb. The two bikes I’ve owned in adulthood we’re both new so I’ve no idea what to look out for when buying a used bike or buying a road bike.

I’ve researched and know the make, model and size of bike I want. I have the option to buy new or save a big chunk (£400) buying second hand.

The seller has provided lots of images and there’s no scratches on rear mech, brake levers or handle bars. The seller tells me there’s no damage, apart from a chip on the top tube, and it’s only been used 5 times. Pictures seem to confirm this. The chip isn’t down to metal. It’s a 5mm (across) chunk of paint missing on the top tube. Should I be concerned about it? The frame is aluminium.

I’ll have a quick ride to see if it makes any horrible noises, the brakes work, gears change and spin the wheels to see if they’re buckled. Apart from that I’m not sure what else to check. Any thoughts/advice gratefully received as always. TIA

sillysilly
    Free Member

Just budget for cables / pads if it’s been sitting in a garage unused for a long time. Check for any damage / cracks to forks and wheels if carbon.

Other than that not much to go wrong with a barely used Alu / steel road frame that won’t be pretty obvious at first glance.

stumpymark

@sillysilly Thanks. It does have a carbon fork so I’ll check closely but I guess I won’t know if it’s cracked inside the head tube.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sillysilly
    Free Member

Often see damage running tyres that are too big that you will see.

tthew

If you’re going to use it solely indoors, just buy an old nail with a 52 or greater chainring and a reasonably light rear wheel. Doesn’t even have to fit particularly well, just put a long or short stem on it to make it as comfortable as necessary. It’s not even like anyone can see you’re riding an untrendy machine.

If there’s a good change you may graduate to outdoor riding, then this advice does not apply.

stumpymark

I do feel it may graduate to outdoor riding so not wanting a total nail. A few rides in the summer months on the country roads might be nice.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is the £400 saving from £1,000 or £4,000?

If it’s not too posh, I’d get the used bike. Road bikes have an easy life really.

nickc

Road bikes have an easy life really.

This. I’ve a roadie from 2014 that to be fair is mostly used inside, but does see the light of day in the summer, and that’s still on original everything from cables to brake pads to chain and jockey wheels, and everything has plenty of life in it yet.

Do your normal M checks when you pick the bike up, it sounds like a bargain.

tonyd

The paint chip sounds like nothing to worry about – alu frame so even if the paint was chipped by an impact of some kind you’d expect to see a dent in the frame if there was any damage. Even then, I’ve ridden alu framed MTBs with massive dents and never had any problems.

If it’s only been ridden 5 times then as long as the condition of the bike confirms that you should be good. I’d probably check that all parts are original (why change anything if you’ve only ridden it 5 times?) and nothing is worn. 5 rides in I’d expect to see the little spindly bits on the tyres still. Depending how old it is the tyres might be vulcanised and need replacing, as well as cables etc as suggested by sillysilly.

It might seem too good to be true, but sometimes things are! My wife bought a brand new road bike just before falling pregnant with our eldest, she rode it 3 times before deciding to put it away so it’s done a total of about 15 miles. It’s been in the loft for the last 13 years waiting to be let out again 🙁

tthew

I do feel it may graduate to outdoor riding so not wanting a total nail.

Sounds like a bargain then, an aluminium bike is presumably going to be closer to £1000 RRP that £4000 so £400 a decent discount. One paint chip wouldn’t worry me, especially on a metal frame. MTB’s get a lot worse, though admittedly they’ll be built a bit tougher.

Pictures when you get it yeah?

tonyd

Also agree – I built my road bike in 2008 and it’s still going strong. Been through a few chains, sets of tyres, and cables but otherwise nothing. Sprockets and cassette are a little worn but still original and I’ve put 10s of 1000s of miles on it (Campag Chorus 10 speed gruppo).

razorrazoo

My current gravel / winter road bike has been wearing a sticker over a dent in the top tube filled with JB Weld for the last 5 years. Some clumsy idiot had dropped it onto a large planter.

dc1988

It’s mostly about checking the drivetrain, the sti’s (shifters) are probably the most expensive part so make sure they’re working. Everything else should be in good condition if it’s fairly new. I’d echo the above comments that generally road bikes don’t get much abuse, mine is from 2012 and still on the original brake pads, chainrings and cassette.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Hi, buying a road bike to use with a Wahoo Kickr.

Literally anything with enough gears will do.

jkomo

The only thing you need that is any good is the saddle and the size. I’d be looking at a Ali bottom of the range.

timmys

I’ll have a quick ride to see if it makes any horrible noises, the brakes work, gears change

Don’t be like me and look like a total idiot when you realise you actually have no idea how road shifters work when you do your quick ride! In my defense they were SRAM which are a bit weird if you’ve never used them before.

tthew

Literally anything with enough gears will do.

The only thing you need that is any good is the saddle and the size.

Yeah, we covered this, but it’ll likely see some proper cycling too so may as well buy the right thing for that too.

Superficial
    Free Member

Unless it’s an extremely common model, I think OP is being a bit strict with his second-hand search criteria. If you want the exact make/model/size (/colour) then you have to get very lucky with the second hand market. Better to keep an open mind and see what comes up?

EDIT: Obviously that doesn’t apply to the one he’s already found.

GHill

Have a look for wear on the tyres, that can give you a good indication of how much it has been ridden. Check if there’s anything embedded in them (small stones, bits of glass etc). New tyres are shockingly expensive!

If it’s a rim brake model take a look at the rims, do they have plenty of braking surface left? There should be a wear indicator – if that’s almost smooth with the rest of the rim then it’s ready for the bin.

Make sure the headset is smooth too.

ampthill

I thing with used stuff is “did this so make sense”

So far looking good. Loads of people buy a bike and hardly ride it. It will be obvious when you see it if that’s true. It’s hard to imagine anything other than cables or tyres needing attention

If I was buying it to ride on the road I’d be looking at the range bike of gears on offer and the clearance for tyres

I’d want space for 28mm tyres and a bottom gear of around 34 front 32 rear. Other people will have their own views.

stumpymark

@chakaping £350 saving over a new £1,000 bike that’s on sale for £650 i.e. £300 for the bike I’m buying.

@tonyd
    No bits changed. All original. Only 2 years old so shouldn’t need anything replacing.

@tthew
    Hopefully have it by the beginning of next week so will certainly post up some images.

@razorrazoo
    Will look for a nice sticker to slap on it.

@dc1988
    Watched a vid on sti shifters so I can now tests these fully, thanks.

@jkomo
    Yeah, this is pretty much bottom of the range.

@timmys
    Yep, never ridden a roadie so this would’ve caught me out for sure.

@Superficial
    Common as much mate, but if I get this bike and the frame/forks aren’t damaged beyond repair then I’ll consider myself a very lucky boy.

@GHill
    Images I have seem to show the tyre pimples but they are dirty so hard to see. I only need one good tyre but that’s not the point. It has rim brakes. Never new about the rim indicator. That’s a great bit of info, thanks. Will check this for sure and also headset.

@ampthill
    Need a road bike as running out of gears on mtb. Not sure what the gears are but it will be much better than mtb I’m sure??? Also, prefer not to use my mtb on the trainer and quite excited about having my first road bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stop posting on here and buy it now then.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most 2nd hand bikes you see fall into this category.

The ones that get ridden tend to get ridden a lot, then replaced and demoted to 2nd, 3rd, winter, indoor bike. These are the small fraction of road bikes you see for sale and are actually used.

Both my road and CX bikes came to me like that. Bought by someone who didn’t get into it so was selling it practically as new. Both are now thoroughly worse for wear!

stumpymark

@chakaping I’m not able to collect until the weekend… I am worried somebody else will swoop in although seller assured me he’s knocking back other interested parties. He does seem like a thoroughly descent guy but he could also be an axe murderer and these might be my final forum posts?!?!

jkomo

Ah! If it’s going on the road at some time, buy some decent tyres and if the opportunity arises, wheels as well. My road bikes always had superstar wheels bought in the sales, made a big difference for less than £200 a pair.

stumpymark

@jkomo yeah, I’ll look out for wheels in sales and if I’m riding it outside then maybe I should. If I really get into it I should probably treat myself to a Specialized Tarmac, right?

stumpymark

Picked the bike up today. Given it a quick clean and removed the bell and all reflectors. Need to clean the drivetrain, re-oil and adjust brakes. Apart from paint chip on top tube, I can’t see any damage or wear. The tyres even have all the ‘hairs’ on. All receipts, manuals, etc. present. I think I’ve got this for a descent price but really have no clue with road bikes. Hopefully there’s no major issue with it that I’m yet to discover.

IMG_0198

Just gone to add air to the tyres. Tyres states 100-120 psi… is that right? I’ve pumped to 80 psi but scared to add more as my MTB tyres are about 20-25 psi. Have I misunderstood something?

BadlyWiredDog

A lot of sold school, diehard roadies run 100psi plus, but unless you’re proper heavy, you shouldn’t need anything like that and the bike will be faster and more comfortable with less, 80psi’s probably a good start point, but they’ll take more no problem if you need to. For reference I’m around 75kg and run 75 front, 80 rear in 25s on my road bike.

Specialized Allez? Looks nice – have fun 🙂

stumpymark

@BadlyWiredDog Okay, thanks. I’ll keep at 80 psi. It’s going to be used on a Kickr but I do want a quick ride before I attach it, I’ve never ridden a road bike before, and want it to be ready if I go for a ride with friends in the future. What did you mean by “in 25s”?

BadlyWiredDog

Tyre size. 700c 25mm. Most road bikes these days tend to use 25mm or 28mm tyres, old school was more 23mm.

stumpymark

@BadlyWiredDog Didn’t know that. Learning as I go. Thanks.

sixtoes

Looks brand new.

stumpymark

@sixtoes Yeah, the previous owner bought it in May ’20. Said he rode it 5 times and, from the looks of things, he wasn’t lying. Paid £350 for it which I think was a good deal.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Help buying a used road bike’ is closed to new replies.