Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help – Buffalo NAS has failed
  • Shakey
    Free Member

My Buffalo Linkstation is no longer recognized by the network and I need the data! I have read that if I download a boootable Knoppix DVD then I can boot with this and copy the data off. Where can I download Knoppix and is this even possible or is there another way to do it?

nickjb
    Free Member

Have you tried googling ‘download knoppix’? :)… in fact…

First thing I would try would be to plug the drive into a computer without going through the hub/router. I’d try a boot disk as well, if that doesn’t work you could but a usb caddy for the drive

Shakey
    Free Member

Tried a caddy but no good. Will try USB but need an unusual cable as both ends are standard USB!

jota180
    Free Member

Does it have a utility to login to it where it searches for it?

Sounds odd but my Netgear NAS once lost it’s IP and assigned itself one in a different range to the LAN meaning I can’t see it over the normal route, but the utility could see it so I could correct the IP

Rubber_Buccaneer

Have you tried a caddy when running linux on your PC? I know very little about this but have a linkstation and think I remember something about needing to use a bootable from USB version of linux or something. I thought there was a linkstation forum or wiki somewhere with loads of info, maybe google that. If I sound vague that’s because I don’t know what I’m on about. 🙂

Shakey
    Free Member

Phew, managed to fix the drive this morning by flashing the firmware. Have copied all files off and will now bin in favour of a more reliable drive and back this up!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help – Buffalo NAS has failed’ is closed to new replies.