Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • help. broadband issues
  • burko73

hi

I’m with JL fibre and am having issues with my internet connection.

Basically a very frequent drop out of service and either pages load super quick or the blue bar (in safari) freezes on about 20%

sometimes its fine, it seems to be worse in the evening. its been going on a week.

I’ve changed the router to another zyxel one I had spare (unused), changed cable, changed filter, unplugged everything, turned off wifi and connected direct to ethernet etc. tried direct to bt master socket, still same issues.

I had an open reach engineer round who told me I had a bridge tap. he told me the filter was plugged in in the wrong sequence into my extension. (I told him the same issue occurred direct to master socket but he didn’t take that on board). He tested the line with his machine after changing the filter and putting it in the right place and the line tested fine with 40mg download and 2mg upload. he said its fixed.

after he left (5 mins) the same thing happened again. frozen page loading at 20% again. I managed to get him back in to see it and he tested the line again which was perfect. he said it could be the modem as they are cheap as chips.

I logged all this with jl (plusnet) and last night the internet was not available at all.

they called me back today to say that they need a couple of days for the line to “sort itself out” after the engineer fixed it. she said last night my line was fine and there were no internet issues or drop outs – basically calling me a bullshitter.

she said id uploaded loads of data and that would have the effect of stopping pages loading? I’ve not had this in the entire time I’ve had broadband even before I had fibre.

I’ve unplugged/ disconnected anything else today and have my (new) iMac plugged in with an ethernet cable and things still don’t work. just now its connected by wifi (within 5m of router) and its dropped out but just worked again when I tried bbc website. its either super quick or just hangs.

the only thing different recently is that I’ve bought a new iMac which I’ve connected to my router instead of my old Sony laptop. the issue prevails on my iPad, wife iPad, iPhones etc. not just iMac

HELP – this is driving me mad.

oldnpastit

All sorts could be wrong.

I would try disconnecting everything bar your iMac and try pinging the usual IP addresses – your router, DNS servers, and 8.8.8.8 (Google’s public DNS).

burko73

I can connect to my router fine.

How do I ping a dns server?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldnpastit

Your router has an internal IP and an external IP. Make sure you can ping both.

Probably your router has an administration web page – go to that and it will probably tell you the DNS addresses (and also the external IP address).

burko73

So I pinged 8.8.8.8 and got 10 timeouts and 100 % packet loss.

2nd time 90%packet loss.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Is there any noise or crackling on the phone line?
    What’s your connection like if you use a network cable instead of wireless?
    Tried factory resetting the router?
    Have you tried connecting a different device and testing say, a phone or tablet instead of your computer?

Is 40/2 the best speed they offer for fibre? Is it fibre to the home all the way or is the last bit (cab to prem) coax or copper?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Tried turning the router off for a few minutes?

oldnpastit

Traceroute might help.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you can access the router admin, are there logs telling you what’s going on? Dropped connection etc.

The hanging is odd, although maybe that’s an Apple thing. If connection drops usually the browser will dump straight into an unavailable page.

Can you try Chrome?

Have you had internal wiring checked? (though decent ISP would have ruled this out first and probably would charge you if your internal wiring is the fault).

Are you connecting router direct to the master socket or via extensions. Any other devices next to the router or cable to the socket, or power adapters / cables next to the cable?

I know it’s not Christmas, but Christmas tree lights are known for knocking broadband connections out. Anything similar perhaps?

the only thing different recently is that I’ve bought a new iMac which I’ve connected to my router instead of my old Sony laptop. the issue prevails on my iPad, wife iPad, iPhones etc. not just iMac

Try something non-Apple? 😉

aphex_2k – Member 
    Is it fibre to the home all the way or is the last bit (cab to prem) coax or copper?

Very unlikely to be fibre to home. Would be huge speeds, can’t get noise problems on the copper, and you’d be paying a lot.

Coax is generally used by cable companies. Anything via a BT line that’s FTTC will be copper from the cabinet.

burko73

right, this seems to be a common Mac problem. a programme called nsurlsessiond is using up all the bandwidth uploading lots of data/ packets. you can see it in the activity monitor.

nsurlsessiond 110.7 MB 97 KB 80,808 102 575 richb 4.2 MB 0 bytes 8 137 0.2 – No 0 bytes No 0 bytes 64 bit 0.2 1.66 1 9.2 MB 3.5 MB 7.7 MB No No 44.3 0 bytes Yes

its something to do with sending info/ data to apple apparently. when my iMac is disconnected and off the network the internet service I get is fine.

it sounds like its the iCloud syncing or something. lots of other have issues online.

anyone heard of this and got any way of dealing with it. reason I bought a Mac was to sync my families iPads/ iPhones and photos etc so if I can’t do that seems pointless

is there any way of getting an isp with more bandwidth?

deadkenny
    Free Member

burko73 – Member 
    is there any way of getting an isp with more bandwidth?

It’s mostly defined by your physical connection. Distance from the cabinet in the case of fibre to cabinet.

burko73

I’m connected to the exchange direct. 600m away or something.

burko73

when I force quit the nsurlsessiond programme (daemon) my Internet is fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘help. broadband issues’ is closed to new replies.