Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help, boiler controller has packed in, options…?
  • D0NK

Our boiler does start up and work (mostly) but the timer/controller is kaput, the timer is either really really slow or it’s just cutting out every now and then, got up this morning no heating and timer said 1am. it’s the old mechanical type, very much like this, like I said click the little wheel round or manually turn the timer and everything fires up.
    The thermostat also seems a little hit and miss so will probably change that at the same time. What are my options? Hoping to move out in the not too distant so I don’t want to spend a fortune plus I’m not very practical so much rewiring is out of my comfort zone. Do I just get a direct replacement or can I get something a bit “cleverer”? (not control from a phone or anything like that, but a weekly rather than daily timer would be nice) I had a quick google on digital controllers but the ones I saw seemed to plug directly into the boiler, ours is an old one so doubt anything like that will fit.
    Any ideas?

molgrips
    Free Member

Go down to local plumbing suppliers, order new control unit, plug in.

That’s what we did. Also wall mounted thermostats are a cinch to change. Turn whole house power off though not just the boiler. We got a mobile wireless thermostat so we can adjust its position to get the best effect.

Don’t get mixed up between timer and thermostat. We have both, but the heating is set to be on 24/7 and the timer knocks it down to 14 degrees overnight so it’s effectively off. Timer still controls the hot water.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am not a plumber mind.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpy01

We had one of those & swapped it out for a Honeywell controller with wireless thermostat.
    But, if you are looking to move soon I wouldn’t be spending that much on one.

Can’t you just replace like with like? or do you want more functionality than you currently have?

nickjb
    Free Member

You should be able to set your boiler to ‘on’ then do all the controlling with a smart thermostat. Does sound like you want anything posh but a Nest or Hive would do the job nicely but is maybe overkill, cheaper versions are available

molgrips
    Free Member

Our wireless jobbie was something like £25, from Screwfix I think.

stumpy01

D0NK – Member
    Hoping to move out in the not too distant so I don’t want to spend a fortune plus I’m not very practical so much rewiring is out of my comfort zone. Do I just get a direct replacement or can I get something a bit “cleverer”? (not control from a phone or anything like that, but a weekly rather than daily timer would be nice) I had a quick google on digital controllers but the ones I saw seemed to plug directly into the boiler, ours is an old one so doubt anything like that will fit.
    Any ideas?

I should have provided a bit more info, really.
    As I said above, we had one of those clockwork timers that we replaced with a Honeywell controller with wireless ‘stat.
    As far as I know, one of these controllers ‘tells’ the boiler to fire in the same way that your clockwork timer would do. So the wiring should be the same or very similar.

We had ours fitted for us though; I didn’t feel confident fiddling around with it.

Something like this should give you more functionality.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hortsmann-centaurplus-c27-programmer-with-li-ion-battery-back-up/68934

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The easiest thing to do is to replace your unit like for like. I did this recently and it was easy and I even got an upgraded version which gave me 5+2 day timer unit instead of a 7 day timer, so I can set weekends independently from weekdays. The unit had a plug on the back that connected to the wires, so was literally a case of plug and play. If you get a completely different unit then you’re into transferring the wires then need to map the wires so you connect them all properly – not a hard job, just need to be meticulous.

You don’t need to be a plumber – it’s nothing to do with plumbing.

D0NK

Cheers for the replies.
    guy from work has recommended this, reckons it’d work with our system.
    forgot to mention it’s the old style boiler and tank, thingy, not a snazzy new combi.

Will have a look at that one aswell stumpy.

Need to get the unit off the wall and double check the wiring before I purchase I guess.

MrSparkle

You have, er, text. ;0)

footflaps

I wired in a manual over ride switch (in a cupboard) so that if the controller dies, I can just switch the CH on and off manually until I install a new controller..

JackHammer

What a coincidence I think mine has too. It looks like this

It’s a new to me boiler in a flat i moved into. So when i want to set the time I turn it so that the current time lines up with the outwardly point arrow, yeah?

Then it should clockwork or something round with the time so at 2pm it should read 2pm on the arrow?

mine just stays where it is set and the bezel is stiff to twist, and a bit notchy in places…

Any ideas,

Jack

stumpy01

Jack – you set the current time by rotating the outer dial until the time lines up with the arrow on the inner section.

It should then go round and round using the mains.

The white fingers around the edge are what you use for setting the on/off timings.
    You flick them one way or another to turn the heating ‘on’. That bit will depend on your individual unit.

The switch in the middle:
    0 – off
    clock symbol – on with timed option
    I – on all the time.

The notchiness you mention when rotating – does this co-incide with the areas where the edge fingers are flicked one way or another?

If the timer doesn’t keep pace with actual time once you have set it to the correct position, then either it’s buggered & needs replacing or it isn’t turned on……..We’ve got a similar timer in our airing cupboard that runs the immersion heater if we require it (we have that just as a backup source of hot water). Next to it, there is a switch to turn it off, so that it doesn’t run. Do you have something similar nearby; some kind of isolator?

JackHammer

You’re much better at conveying what you mean than I am haha.

Mine doesn’t follow the time. The switches on the outer bezel are all in the off position at the moment, when you flick them on over the “current time” arrow the boiler fires up. The notchiness of the bezel doesn’t appear related to anything I can see from the outside.

The timer itself is directly attached to the boiler control panel and I haven’t seen any switches, but I’ll double check tonight. Don’t know if it’s a good idea/I’m allowed to start fiddling with it as it’s attached to the boiler.

BadlyWiredDog

I had a very similar thing a few years back and depending on which timer it is, you may be able simply buy an electronic replacement which clips onto the same wallplate making it a five-minute job.

This sort of thing

It obviously depends on what your original unit is, but if it fits, it’s super simple to replace, you just remove one face plate unit and stick the new one on instead.

twisty

when the mechanical timer stopped working on my boiler i just bought a digital one and some 4 core flex from screwfix and installed that next to the boiler it just a case of disconnecting the old timer from the boilers connection panel and wiring in the new one. You no doubt are supposed to be qualified to do the task as it is fed with mains voltageso you need to make sure you isolate etc but it isn’t much more difficult than wiring a plug

totalshell

isnt more difficult than wiring a plug… bit like the customer last week who had swapped parts on her boiler after watching youtube.. she d done ok except for missing three screws a blanking plug not using a flue seal and then telling me it was easy and she is well competent..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help, boiler controller has packed in, options…?’ is closed to new replies.