Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help! – Bike rental dilemma
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Off to Scotland for 6 days in Torridon, Isle of Skye, Apple Cross and Loch Nevis

Had put my name down for a rental where options included a orange 5 / yeti. Now been told only option is a SC Tallboy LT 29er.

Last time I rode a 29’er was an Ellsworth Epiphany (whistler) and whilst the climbs were great I felt rather unsettled on the descents.

The other option is to take the good BFe but will need to change a lot on the set up as it’s currently set to 1×10 to start with and also unsure whether 6 days of hard riding on a HT is prudent?

Any advice or comments? Also read about a lot people not getting along
    with the VPP suspension?

Thanks

trail_rat
    Free Member

so the fact you rode an entirely different bike to the one your hiring put you off ?

ill bet it was more the fact that it was not your bike and you were not used to its geometry putting you off more than the wheel size.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

TR – no I normally ride a 26er – just feel uncomfortable on the descents on the one 29er which I rode. Have no idea what the SC 29er is going to be like and given it’s 6 days of riding and am a bit concerned if I don’t get on with the bike it might put a black mark on the trip.

Yeah it could be a combination of things geometry, wheelsize etc. Might try and see if I can test ride a SC Tallboy somewhere and go from there

sandwicheater

You’ll have a blast, Tallboy is an ace ride. Just try and get a good day in under your belt and you’ll be best of friends.

trail_rat
    Free Member

equally you have no idea if your going to get on with any other 26er FS with different bars stem , position , forks to the one you have ….

by the end of 6 days youll be in tune with what ever bike you ride.

hora
    Free Member

Why cant you take yours?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

TR – yeah I have experienced that as well, I figure yeah by the 2nd day I should get used to the ride

sandwicheater – thanks, assume you have ridden one?

Hora – I was advised against bringing a HT for the trip based on terrain and long days in the saddle and length of the entire trip ..fatigue etc etc. Also much needs to be changed on my current setup on the Bfe (currently weighs in at 33lbs, 1×10, downhill specific etc) but am considering the option.

hora
    Free Member

Ok how much is the hire in total inc any damage cost?

I can’t see a weeks hire of such a bike being cheap. Why not put that money into your own bike.

Previously I’ve bought a secondhand full sus frame purely for a Alps trip then sold it afterwards for hoe much it cost me.

A Tallboy would be a nice bike but its someone elses and how can you fettle it to your tastes? Buy a longer/shorter stem mid-ride etc?

Yeah by day six you’ll be used to it….. 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

I was advised against takin a hardtail to france……

I didnt die or hold anyone up.

Nearly ran a few folk down though

glupton1976
    Free Member

BFe in DH spec sounds perfect for battering round, o’er, through and doon the highlands.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Hora – 175 for the 7 days, going to work out the costs to change the set up and transportation but yeah I see your point

TR – thanks… I’ll do my best to keep up or overtake the pack.. but knowing my climbing skills I’m more likely to be sweating blood and hurling abuse 🙂

hora
    Free Member

175 buys you (not any real weight saving but gives you an idea of what could be yours permanently):

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/bars-stems/handlebars-riser/easton-haven-carbon-riser-bar.html

+

Change to lighter tyres, heck why not change the tyres and make them tubeless? I actually had a figure of £100 max in my head on this for your hire 😯

You’ve still got 60 quid in your pocket.

I wouldn’t pay £175 to hire a bike that I didn’t order/ask for.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I have Bfe and would not use for that length of riding on that terrain – I am not fit enough. If I were to go 29er, Tallboy is my first choice. You will adapt pretty quick. Do it because a FS will simply make the 6 days much more enjoyable, its a holiday not an endurance test.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help! – Bike rental dilemma’ is closed to new replies.