Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Help add humour to my speech (joke about cycle commuting content)
  • yoshimi

First off, I’m no stand up comedian and am terrified of the prospect of doing this speech, so do not expect much! I’m best man next week for a friend……he’s a weird roadie type so won’t see this, he commutes by bike and got struck pretty badly by a car last year, so:

Andy and XXX have recently moved into their first home together. Now as we all know, moving into your first house and furnishing it comes at great expense and although Andy had his own bachelor pad before, a TV, a chair and a huge selection of DVDs isn’t furniture.

So they decided that a few short-term cut backs were needed, for instance, they only needed one car…I remember both of them saying ”WE, only need one car”

PAUSE

Andy now cycles 20 miles to work and back each day. Oh XXX, by the way, how’s your brand new Golf working out?

However, on a serious note, we all know that bicycle commuting can be very dangerous…we’ve all seen it during rush hour, people not indicating where they’re going, not paying attention to their surroundings, not adhering to road signs, an accident waiting to happen…It can also be dangerous for the cyclist as Andy found out.

STOREY ABOUT CRASH

FOLLOWED BY GIVING HIM A PERSONALISED HI-VIS VEST ANd STABILISERS AS PRESENT

glupton1976
    Free Member

Why are you having a pop at his wife?

samuri
    Free Member

You could include some of the rules of roadies.
    http://www.velominati.com/

Although non-roadies may not get them.

Also some stuff about racing other commuters maybe?

jekkyl

@glu
    coz he’s a male friend of the groom, she’s taking him away from the lads, it’s standard.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Nah – standard operating procedure for a best man’s speech is to rip the piss out of the groom without comeback.

yoshimi

Its not really having a pop at her is it?? 😕

brakes
    Free Member

just make sure the vast majority of your humour is accessible to the whole audience. went to a wedding the other week and all the jokes were in-jokes about the groom’s place of work. alienated 19 of the 20 tables at the wedding who before long started to add some humour themselves, at the expense of the best man…

woody2000

Sounds like a shit speech.

Get pissed (properly pissed), attempt speech & fail, make a pass at his wife then throw up everywhere whilst shouting “Andy, Andy, why don’t you love me anymore”.

😉

yoshimi

Whats above is just one part of the speech….also a couple of parts about him being a teacher and his ultra-competitive nature – I’m pretty sure it accessible to everyone – I really wanted to mention his crash was Strava related but cut that as I’m sure I’d get a lot of blank faces.

yoshimi

Whats above is just one part of the speech….also a couple of parts about him being a teacher and his ultra-competitive nature – I’m pretty sure it accessible to everyone – I really wanted to mention his crash was Strava related but cut that as I’m sure I’d get a lot of blank faces.

jekkyl

or you could give a brief explanation of what strava is.

yoshimi

woody – thats why I’ve decided to at last write something down – although its become apparant I should have started weeks ago 😯

yoshimi

<heads off to read the rules>

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Needs more nob gags.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Andy and XXX have recently moved into their first home together. Now as we all know, moving into your first house and furnishing it comes at great expense and although Andy had his own bachelor pad before, a TV, a chair and a huge selection of DVDs isn’t furniture.

Would reference to his huge pron stash here be inappropriate?

Andy now cycles 20 miles to work and back each day.

And as a result will likely be too tired to consumate his marriage tonight?

jekkyl

has he ever embarrassed himself in public? while drinking perhaps?

Gotama
    Free Member

Drop the para about bike commuting, it’s a proper groan joke in my opinion even though you’re then going into the full story.

Brief description of strava instead and incorporate that into the story. Gives you room to exaggerate the facts as any best man should.

yoshimi

has he ever embarrassed himself in public? while drinking perhaps?

nope, thats my thing!

I’m more trying to just get this one bit to sound like I’m talking about bad car drivers but I switch it at the end to mean cyclist……hilarious I know, but like I said, I’m no stand up comedian

binners

Needs more coke and hookers stories.

If you haven’t got any of these, whens the stag do?

yoshimi

[iWould reference to his huge pron stash here be inappropriate?[/i]

I think maybe as theres going to be loads of bloody kids there

ell_tell
    Free Member

theres going to be loads of bloody kids there

Don’t do as a freind of mine witnessed at a wedding then. And that was for the best man to proclaim he and the groom had been though a lot together over the past years. Namely the majority of the girls on the table at the back.

LenHankie

jekkyl – Member
    or you could give a brief explanation of what strava is.

Don’t do this. Jokes that have to be explained aren’t funny.

ell_tell – Member

Would reference to his huge pron stash here be inappropriate?

yoshimi – Member
    [iWould reference to his huge pron stash here be inappropriate?[/i]

I think maybe as theres going to be loads of bloody kids there

I’d just say:

” …furnishing it comes at great expense and although Andy had his own bachelor pad before, a TV, a chair and a huge selection of DVDs isn’t furniture. PAUSE …at least, not the type of DVDs Andy had…”

Leave the rest to everyone’s imagination, that makes it funnier.

yoshimi

LenHanke- thank you, that’s a perfect addition 🙂

jfletch
    Free Member

Do not include the sarky remark about the wife’s new car. It won’t go down well as it comes across as a snipe at her rather than taking the piss out of him which is your job.

Maybe instead turn it around to make out that you mate is so under the thumb he agreed to a 20 mile bike commute.

unklehomered
    Free Member

..furnishing it comes at great expense and although Andy had his own bachelor pad before, a TV, a chair and a huge selection of DVDs isn’t furniture. PAUSE …at least, not the type of DVDs Andy had… And yes, it turns out 5 girls, 2 cups, 3 horses and a melon is a real thing… that I never wanted to see…

little bit more?

iolo
    Free Member

He commutes everyday then has enough energy for the local bike?

njee20
    Free Member

Agree on the bride comments, no one’s allowed to take the piss out of her.

That said, only you know them and what sort of people they are. Just say something you mean, it’ll be fine.

theotherjonv

I think the joke’s OK, but I’d phrase it slightly differently, leave it hanging a bit rather than spelling it out:

‘So after discussion, x and y decided that one area they could cut back in was by sharing a car. And may I be the first to say how slim and fit x is looking now he travels everywhere by bike’. Maybe with a thumb on forehead visual behind the groom’s back if you know she isn’t going to take offence….

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Help add humour to my speech (joke about cycle commuting content)’ is closed to new replies.