Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help a numpty with podcasts
  • theotherjonv

I want to listen to some of the many podcasts out there, saving them on my phone which i can then bluetooth to the car for long journeys or listen to on trains and planes.

What’s the best way to do that….. from the Beeb I can usually download as an MP3 onto my PC, copy to my phone as if it was a music file, and then delete when listened but these ‘new’ subscription ones seem to want me to do something else.

I have a spotify account, but then I can’t copy to my phone (or can I?) I have to stream it which requires data and stuff.

How do i do it?

Any good ones i should listen to?

flyingmonkeycorps

Install Podcast Republic on your phone (assuming Android, dunno if there’s an iOS version).

You can subscribe to casts and it’ll automatically download new episodes to your phone. Much easier than faffing with copying from PC.

My favourite at the moment is “I only listen to the Mountain Goats”.

jimjam
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps – Member

Install Podcast Republic

Can you set that to only download when the phone is on wifi? I wouldn’t want to lose my last 100mb on a new podcast when I could have downloaded it at home.

timmys

What phone?

On iOS I use Overcast which will do what you want, as will pretty much many any podcast app.

Regarding wifi only download, on iOS you just set the app to not use Mobile Data within the phone Settings. I would assume you could do similar on Android.

Recommendations; http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/podcasts-youre-a-fan-of

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m using castbox on my android phone. I still use an MP3 player and iTunes for most of my listening so haven’t subscribed to anything on castbox yet but it’s easy to use.

eltonerino
    Free Member

I use player fm.

It can be set to only download on WiFi (mine is), but you can manually override if you want. If you set up an account, it can sync your podcasts with multiple devices.

The best part about a podcast app is not having to delete them after you have listened.

theotherjonv

Can you set that to only download when the phone is on wifi? I wouldn’t want to lose my last 100mb on a new podcast when I could have downloaded it at home.

Installed it and even i can find the toggle to wifi only. Which for me to find means it is ‘glaringly obvious’ level of ease.

flyingmonkeycorps

What he said!

allfankledup

I download my podcasts via spotify….saves another app/source

timmys

So on Android you really can’t set a preference for whether each individual app uses mobile data or not via the operating system? 😯

allfankledup

yes – you can….you can block the use of mobile data for particular apps

timmys

yes – you can….you can block the use of mobile data for particular apps

Glad to hear it!

Oi, Android people, turn it off in the general phone settings rather than scrambling around in the individual app settings!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help a numpty with podcasts’ is closed to new replies.