Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help – 25min off road climb needed in the Chilterns
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a nice long 25min climb I can do reps on in the Chilterns ? Im doing some training and just cant stomach another road ride. So in the interests of saving me from the Dark Side, can anyone recommend a long climb ?

Ive been looking myself and can find some nice 8 mins ones, like Blackmoor Wood Climb, or Longhanging Wood to Christmass Common which I could probably do in 8 or 9 mins. But I need something twice as long.

Im not sure a 25 min off road climb in the Chilterns exists. I may have to go to Wales, or the FoD perhaps. But was hoping not to travel too far.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pretty sure those must be amongst the longest? It’s almost the highest point at the top.

Even Henley-Pishill on the road is quite a bit less than 25min and that’s a moderate sized hill and a long drag up to the bottom. Compromise and use the drag strip out of Henley to Stonor as a warmup?

If you just want to hurt yourself for 25 minutes, head South of the Thames where it’s flatter. I’ve got a ~25 mile gravel route around Three Mile Cross and Silchester which hurts precisely because it hasn’t got any serious hills (which makes the odd sharp one all the worse because you’ve not had a rest!).

stevied
    Free Member

If you can get to Malvern, there’s some decent off-road climbs

anagallis_arvensis

Streatly up to Ridgeway is only about 10 so I reckon there isnt one.

yossarian
    Free Member

Chinnor Hill? Up Donkey Lane from the village and then the long route up to the Hillfort?

petec
    Free Member

Streatly up to Ridgeway

Ahem. Streatley 🙂

That Ridgeway climb is the longest around here. Obviously you can go down the other side, and then turn round and do it again. The beauty of the North Wessex Downs hills (and Chilterns) is they’re short and sharp, rather than long and slow…
    But the alternative is to just do reps of the hill – the ridgeway is about 7 mins up, and 3 mins down. People do.

The Henley to Pishill bit is – apparently – the longest continual uphill in England. Albeit not very uphill at the bottom… https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/

Or if you really want a 25 min climb, just do it slowly

Dickyboy

Chilterns covers a long area, where are you based? Difficult to think of any more than a mile long 🤔

Dickyboy

I lied – try Hollandridge Lane from just north of Stonor park to Christmas Common, big wide dual track but 2.6 miles long and 140m ascent?

anagallis_arvensis

Ahem. Streatley

Indeed

senorj

The descent I used to do ,into the estate with the cricket ground ,rich family, name escapes me right now. Do that ,as a climb ,twice.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Henley to Pishill bit is – apparently – the longest continual uphill in England. Albeit not very uphill at the bottom…

That can’t be true surely? I suppose it has an advantage of being barely uphill for the main road bit but is it really longer than something like Snakes Pass?

nickc

,into the estate with the cricket ground ,rich family, name escapes me right now. Do that ,as a climb ,twice.

Wormsley? 10 mins climb at best, surely? and mostly flat at the top nr the M40

The Henley to Pishill bit is – apparently – the longest continual uphill in England. Albeit not very uphill at the bottom…

Nah Cragg Vale, Henley to Pishill is 2nd

senorj

Wormsley, that’s the one ta.
    I did say do it twice.

anagallis_arvensis

The descent I used to do ,into the estate with the cricket ground ,rich family, name escapes me right now

I was going to say Getty Estate and then googled to find it was the same thing!!! Rich is a massive underestimate!!!!

whitestone
    Free Member

Why 25 minutes? It’s a very specific duration.

jameso

The trail just N of Stonor Park NW through Longhanging and Fire Woods is the longest I can think of between the Wendover end of the Chilterns and across to the other end of the Ridgeway. It’s 5km / 135m+. Longer with more gain than the Streatley RW climb, still a pretty easy climb though and it has a gate in the middle.

retrobri
    Free Member

I tend to beast the hills around Ipsden, not 25mins mind, but still a good work out. Up Garsons lane (road/off road) down Berins Lane and then up Urguhart Lane is a good un

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Urguhart Lane

Theres two with the same name and a third trail going the same way so at least it’s an easy place to do reps!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help – 25min off road climb needed in the Chilterns’ is closed to new replies.