Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Helmets should be compulsory
  • ransos
    Free Member

Just be a man and accept it

If you prefer belief over physics, carry right on.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Jesus didn’t wear a helmet and they nailed him to cross.

Vishnu wears a helmet and no nails for him, oh no.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sirromj

If you prefer belief over physics, carry right on.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be more effective (if aim is to reduce head injuries) by banning cycling rather than making it compulsory to wear helmets…

nickc

A months ban for obviously trolling this tedious subject again, should definitely be compulsory

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ll take the physics any day. Impact shock transferred across the helmet. Crumple zones in cars???.

Northwind

teamslug – Member

This happened to me mid April. GPS says 29.8mph. I wouldn’t be posting this if my 661 recon hadn’t done its job.

Correct. But you might very well be posting “I fell off and hit my head really hard, which sucked. But I’m fine now” instead.

A doctor mate said to me, a good rule of thumb is that helmets only mitigate injuries. So if you sustained a near-fatal head injury, then there’s a fair chance that it legitimately saved your life. But if you walked away with a headache, it almost certainly didn’t. It may have saved you from concussion though, and that’s still worthy.

When I had my big road crash, various medical people told me the helmet I wasn’t wearing saved my life, it was a bit weird.

legolam
    Free Member

Would you have been doing 29.8mph if you hadn’t been wearing a helmet?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Can I vote for ‘perchypanther’?

I want that satisfying noise!!

themaskedavenger
    Free Member

You ran out of talent, end of.
    You risk assess your own rides and your own life and I’ll do mine.

Currently sat here nursing a broken jaw. There’s no visible damage to my helmet, so I’ve no idea if it took some of the impact, or the rock I hit missed it completely.

I’m buying a bigger helmet

Rorschach
    Free Member

Address the symptoms…..not the cause 😉

Address the symptoms…..not the cause

Smiley noted, but I no understand what you mean

Symptoms are broken jaw

Cause is falling off

Rorschach
    Free Member

Symptom is falling off….cause is (you fill in the blanks).

poah
    Free Member

Lawmanmx – Member

how did we all survive our Bmx youth without a helmet??? its all about choice and circumstances IMO. also, if helmets were all about our ‘protection’ then they wouldn’t be so bloomin Expensive!

I hit my head several times and it wasn’t pretty. my kids go out on their bikes and scooters with a helmet on. They do it on habit not because I tell them to. They, themselves don’t want to hit their heads off the pavement.

Helmets should be law for any organised event, for a place you have to pay to use or if you are under 16. Helemts are cheap to buy

Symptom is falling off….cause is (you fill in the blanks).

In that context though, the cause has so many variables. If you manage to negate every single possible cause of falling off, I’m guessing your ride would be pretty dull

Wookster

I don’t think they should be compulsory, I personally choose to always wear one, even when pottering up and down the street checking gets etc. My kids have no choice in wearing one, And I think it’s daft not to wear one.

But I genuinely don’t believe that wearing one will make you invincible, it’s occurred to me at 45mph going down hill on my road bike that a bit of polystyrene won’t help hugely if I come off!

I accept that in certain situations they may not help at all, and may even make things worse, but overall I think they are beneficial, and that people should chose to wear them.

nickjb
    Free Member

Helmets should be law for any organised event, for a place you have to pay to use or if you are under 16.

Didn’t want to get drawn into this but that is utter nonsesne. Cycling can be a very safe activity. Of course it’s possible to up the risks such as DH mountain biking but events like this are very safe and should be promoted and encouraged as such:

This has been made safe getting the cars off the streets not by forcing the participants to wear body armour.

poah
    Free Member

cars are just one aspect of road safety. If I was on that group I’d have a helmet as would my kids. Not wearing a helmet is just silly, there is no valid reason not to wear one.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not wearing a helmet is just silly, there is no valid reason not to wear one.

And I’d say wearing a helmet for an event like that is silly as there is no reason to wear one. Luckily we can both take part wearing what we like.

antigee

changing driver behaviour – prevention

kids wearing helmets – mitigation

what do we want?

phiiiiil

In every single area of HSE I can think of prevention is always done before mitigation; PPE is used only as a last resort, for example.

Except on roads, where it’s the other way round, even though it’s far more dangerous than pretty much anywhere else…

aracer
    Free Member

Ooh, ooh, there’s my cue:

What is your valid reason for not wearing a helmet when walking or driving?

tonyja
    Free Member

Helmets should be made compulsory
    Seeing as majority of serious head injuries occur while in a car we should start there.
    Legislate immediately.
    Regards
    Tony
    Bikesy co uk

poah
    Free Member

Ooh, ooh, there’s my cue:

What is your valid reason for not wearing a helmet when walking or driving?

driving – you are protected by being inside.

walking no significant risk of hitting your head unless you have issues. Have you never seen a disabled person wear a helmet?

if seat belts were not law would you still wear one?

aracer
    Free Member

Have you not seen the stats for head injuries for drivers and pedestrians then?

You haven’t provided a valid reason not to wear one whilst doing those activities.

seatbelts – whataboutery

5thElefant
    Free Member

if seat belts were not law would you still wear one?

No. Not that it would have made any odds.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No they shouldn’t.

DONE

v8ninety

changing driver behaviour – prevention
    kids wearing helmets – mitigation
    what do we want?

As a parent of a couple of youngsters who are somewhat frighteningly (for me, they LOVE it) exploring their newly aquired skills at the moment, of course I want prevention. Unfortunately, the only tool in my armory is mitigation. So for the moment, sturdy helmets that are built to take a few knocks.

rickmeister

Is it a digital proposition based on yes or no ?

Or an analogue one based on sometimes I will, then again, knowing what I’m doing and where I’m going, I won’t?

I.e., fort William dh track vs a spin out on the beach …

No, they shouldn’t be compulsory!

If I go on a ride proper, I’ll wear a helmet through choice – if I go for a pootle to the shops, or the pub, I reserve my right to not wear a lid

ff29

Compulsory for Car Drivers because the evidence points to them having the biggest problem with head injuries. You can tell by their erratic driving and attempts to kill us on a regular basis ……

Who knows it might get more of them out of the car and on to the road.

What ever for cycling. Up to the rider. Wear mine most of the time. Possibly due to me being a motor cyclist. Helmet has definitely saved my life on motorcycle crashes. In all my crashes on the bicycle never trashed a helmet yet. Fingers crossed.

kerley
    Free Member

Helmet has definitely saved my life on motorcycle crashes.

Yep, and a LOT more likely to be the case than when the same claims are made of a cycle helmet. If cycle helmets were proved to be as effective as motorcycle helmets then the debate would solely be around personal choice but as they are not (mainly because a cyclist wouldn’t want to wear a motorbike helmet!) then the debate gets more difficult as helmet effectiveness is not a given.

mashiehood
    Free Member

My helmet saved me yesterday, hit a low hanging tree branch whilst hurtling downhill – I’m fine, the helmet ain’t.
    Yes they should be compulsory

cookeaa

I stubbed my toe the other day, therefore steel toecaped footwear should be compulsory under all circumstances…

Non-compulsion should also be compulsory in my opinion…

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

For those with a higher IQ the brain is a valuable asset, hence worth keeping protected

BruceWee

My helmet saved me yesterday, hit a low hanging tree branch whilst hurtling downhill – I’m fine, the helmet ain’t.
    Yes they should be compulsory

Maybe if you hadn’t been wearing the helmet you would have seen the branch and ducked. Or just riding slower.

kerley
    Free Member

For those with a higher IQ the brain is a valuable asset, hence worth keeping protected

What is the IQ limit you set for those where the brain is not worth protecting? Should those people also not need to bother wearing seatbelts in cars?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bring back the cycle proficiency test.Those who do not possess the prerequisite amount of co-ordination and spatial awareness are deemed to be a danger to themselves and required to wear full body armour/full face helmet and T-shirt saying “look out,I’m a bit crap at this lark”.
    (full disclosure…I’ve never fallen off because I am awesome)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Helmets should be compulsory’ is closed to new replies.