• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Helmets – is low profile and light a thing any more?
  • martinhutch

Finally knackered my Scott Arx helmet, and am looking for a replacement for the mildish XC stuff I usually ride. I have got a Met Roam in the cupboard, but it feels absolutely massive and the visor is humungous – a lot of modern helmets seem to take this approach.

I just need something a bit less substantial, still with a little visor – anyone got any recommendations?

Kahurangi

Look at more roadie orientated helmets? Or Gravel? (sorry)

XC and mild off-road helmets have been encroaching round the ears and the back more and more, I guess back in the day people only used to hit the top of their heads 😜

donslow
    Free Member

From my experience, coming from someone with a bit of a peanut head, I was looking for a similar solution last year and settled on a giro montaro, comfortable, light, not too bulbous looking on a tiny head and MIPS protection (if that’s your thing)

Quite happy with mine

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

Or Gravel? (sorry)

I live in the Dales, there’s no use pretending that 95% of it isn’t gravel.

It’s just that, because of my massive brain, I’m enough of a conehead without the helmet exaggerating it even more.

Plus I could actually feel the visor acting like a sail when I was riding into a very light headwind yesterday. 🙂

Kahurangi

Have you considered going for a full face helmet to avoid the mushroom head looks? 😀

FWIW I use a Bell Sequence on the road/tour/CX bike and I think I cut a very fine figure indeed, but then my head is ok in Giro, Met and Bell. Doesn’t look too dissimilar form the Scott Arx, TBH.

fasthaggis

I was looking around for a new lid and thought the Smiths(Convoy+Forefront)looked not bad.
    Using an old Kask roadie one for now with a cap #CXracer 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Just bought one of these, didnt want a full on Enduro/Gnarr Lid
    https://www.wolfcycles.co.uk/product/lupo-mountain-bike-helmet-for-cross-country-and-e-mtb/

fasthaggis

didnt want a full on Enduro/Gnarr Lid

Yeah,but I wouldn’t fancy a built in speed limiter? 😉 🤣🙃

DezB
    Free Member

I found a bargain Uvex helmet (think it was Alpinetrek.co.uk) XC stylee with a small peak and oh man the vents work better than any helmet I’ve had before. Not a brand I’ve even considered in the past, but it don’t half keep me ‘ead cool.

DezB
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

They have flesh coloured helmets – bit weird https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/republic-bike-helmet-r410-bike-helmet/ 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Helmets – is low profile and light a thing any more?’ is closed to new replies.