Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Helmets and UV Damage
  • Futureboy77

Morning all.

I bought a cheap and cheerful roadie helmet from a well known discounted online retailer about 8 months ago. The helmet is comfy enough but in the period that I’ve have it, the shell has bleached from UV exposure. It’s went from neon orange to a fetching pastel shade.

I know that UV degrades helmets, but I wouldn’t expect that to occur so quickly. Would the STW hive mind consider this cosmetic, or just take the hit and replace it? I’m looking at those cheap Spesh MIPS helmets as a replacement.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve seen no evidence of EPS degrading, but many tell you better safe than sorry etc.

footflaps

The shell isn’t structural, it just holds the foam in place.

Helmets last decades…

https://helmets.org/up1505a.htm

kormoran
    Free Member

ive seen this in other products, the pigment is just not colourfast in UV conditions. Or something like that. Neon colours I would imagine are quite prone to fading too. A bit like a mid 90’s red vauxhall.

Personally I would base it on the history of the helmet which only you know really.  If it’s sat on a window sill it’s whole life then i’d be less happy

mert
    Free Member

Cheap and cheerful brand/model or just massively discounted?
    Have seen the former start to degrade (colour) from normal use in 12-18 months. The latter I’ve had for years with little or no fading.
    Probably used better process/raw materials.

More worryingly is that the plastic skin on the cheapest ones tends to go all yogurt pot and split with even the slightest pressure…

jonm81

I’ve got an IXS Trail Evo in orange that has done the same in less than a year.

I should have known better as orange pigment never lasts long in the sun.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.