• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by reeksy.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Helmets
  • mrpaul
    Free Member

I’m looking for an open face helmet and for the money I’m planning on spending there’s a few options (some older models discounted) so interested in feedback from people who own any of the ones I’m thinking of. I have a very average size and shape head so not looking for a particular fit. I also won’t be able to try these on as the shops near me don’t carry much in the way of stock. I’m in Aus so it gets pretty hot, so good ventilation is important. My shortlist is:

Fox Speedframe MIPS

Oakley DRT5 MIPS

POC Tectal

Kask Caipi

Thanks!

cheekyget
    Free Member

I had a fox speedframe mips…had it 6months and it saved my life, when the front wheel slipped while I was standing on the pedals going down a rocky flint bend…smashed my head on a rock right on the temple…fair sized dent in the helmet…bit of concussion, but I lived to tell the tale…really nice helmet too…I had the camo Pro version…would definitely recommend it

diggery
    Free Member

I also rate my FOX Speedframe Pro after a pedal clip to superman onto a fireroad from 6 feet up. Helmet was a write off but did the job. It’s light, much cooler than my TLD A1, fits me well and I love the Fidlock buckle. Just disappointed they don’t offer any kind of crash replacement like lots of other brands. I bought another though, as the fit is best for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrpaul
    Free Member

Thanks @cheekyget and @diggery. Looks like you both have the more expensive pro version, apart from the fidlock buckle do you know what other differences there are over the standard version? It’s not clear from the Fox website.

reeksy

G’day @mrpaul – i’m in QLD and have a Fox Speedframe Pro.

Nothing is particularly cool to wear in this weather, but it’s the best i’ve come across. I also had a TLD A1 before, which frankly was rubbish compared to the Fox, in fit and flow.

@diggery I just got a replacement for 50% off rrp from Fox Australia after diving headfirst into a boulder. It really was like hitting a pillow. Helmet was actually in great shape, but didn’t want to risk it.

AFAIK it’s just fidlock buckle (great) and graphics (meh) that make the Pro different.

mrpaul
    Free Member

Thanks @reeksy – I’m in NSW so not quite as warm but good to hear your feedback. Looks like about $100 price difference for the fidlock buckle. I’ve never had one on a helmet so won’t know what I’m missing if I go for the cheaper version!

reeksy

Yeah, it’s not a massive deal. I think i chose it because i found it on offer at the same price as the normal ones… probably because the graphics were the old ones or something like that.

fazzini

Some deals on Fox lids and others on sportpursuit at the moment of that’s any use:

Fox Racing

Have a Speedframe Pro, Dropframe Pro and Bell Super DH

The Speedframe is great, but the padding is very thin. Loving the Dropframe for the bit of extra protection atm rather than taking the Bell out – broken jaw led me to wearing more coverage

jimmy748

I’ve a normal Speed Frame (retro fitted with a Fidlock buckle) and a Drt5.

The Drt is very comfortable, and the sunglasses holder is amazing in summer, it’s significantly hotter to wear than the Speedframe though, the ridged brow strip is great for keeping sweat out my eyes, but does have a tendency to channel it into my ears instead.

diggery
    Free Member

I just got a replacement for 50% off rrp from Fox Australia

Well that’s good! Unfortunately I had several back and forth emails with both FOX (UK) and the retailler (Tredz) where I was told there was no discount. I said that was disappointing especially as it was well under a year old but they stuck to their policy and no discount was offered. I did still find it £40 less than RRP so it wasn’t too bad.

Forgot to mention but there is no easy way to store glasses with is a shame. My A1 took them either on the front, inverted, or on the back, really securely. Nothing fits in my FOX.

intheborders
    Free Member

Having used and bought helmets for +40 years (motorcycling before cycling) I find that there’s only one way to buy a helmet, and that’s to try it on.

My latest is the Fox Dropframe. I tried both the medium and large on and because they come with thin & thick padding options the shop changed the padding on both helmets so I could find the best fit. Ended up with the large and thicker padding.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Fox Speedframe Pro here too – really please with the fit and ventilation. I bought it because of a web group review which marked it as the best vented helmet. I think it’s the vent under the peak which does the job, not many helmets have that.
    (I doubt they do, but if SportPursuit ship to Oz, worth looking on there cos they have them discounted again.)

My latest is the Fox Dropframe. I tried both the medium and large on and because they come with thin & thick padding options the shop changed the padding on both helmets so I could find the best fit. Ended up with the large and thicker padding

The Dropframe sizing is weird. I’m a definite (not borderline) medium in the Speedframe (and most other helmets), but the medium Dropframe was way too small. Ended up with a large and even then found it much comfier with the thin pads

mrpaul
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, lots of great info.

Think the Oakley is off the list given it runs hotter than the Fox.

Clearly lots of love for the Fox Speedframe and it’s likely what I’ll go for given the comments on ventilation, but I’m still keen to hear from anyone who has a POC Tectal or Kask Caipi.

Sport Pursuit do ship to Aus but it looks like only selected items, and helmets understandably aren’t included. I’d prefer to buy from somewhere a bit closer anyway.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a speedframe pro. Its ok. A bit close on the sides of my head and a couple of hotspots. Not a cool as I was expecting given all the vents. Can’t handle my prodigious sweating.

I also have an Oakly DRT, which I much prefer for fit, ventilation and sweat management. Despite it looking like it doesn’t have as many vents, its clear in use they’ve been properly designed and engineered for function. MIPS against the main interior shell does make a bit of noise though.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Another vote for the speedframe pro here.

But as is often said, trying one on and getting the right level of comfort and fit is very important. I’ve bought quite a few on line and then had to return as they didnt sit well on my head. And yes, i have a regular shaped head 🙂

sofaboy73
    Free Member

been using the POC tectal for a fair few years now and on my 3rd. best fitting and most comfortable helmet i’ve ever tried (for my head shape), good coverage and very well ventilated (all be it only coping with UK temps). for me, i’ll keep buying them until they stop making them

joebristol

I’ve got a POC Tectal that replaced a Giro Chronicle. For me I think the chronicle was a touch comfier, but equally it was heavier and ran hotter.

The Tectal seems really nicely made and has decent adjustment in it – if it fits well I don’t think you can go wrong.

With helmets it always comes down to fit and is it the right shape for your head.

reeksy

Worth making sure you buy in Oz, as if it doesn’t have the Aus standards sticker on then it’s the kind of thing an insurance company would use against you in a claim. At some races they actually check apparently.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.