Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Helmetcams ? Video evidence of bad driving?
  • doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Right I’m fed up of being repeatedly nearly killed by impatient or dangerous drivers whilst out on the road. near miss with a bus and a 4wd with a large trailer- simply passing when innapropriate then cutting into early forcing me into the ditch.

This sort of thing could easily be recorded on a helmet cam then handed to the police as evidence with numberplates and times. I don’t know if this has been discussed before and how the police would respond to such evidence- gotta be driving without due care and attention. how long do helmet cams record for? Any legal opinions would be welcomed.

project
    Free Member

I got a veho muvi as a present last year, absolutely great, record for about 1.5 hours , and charges from a usb port, so small you dont notice it, also 7dayshop do a cheaper version for 15 quid or there abouts, had 2 and both broke, though excellent service they where both replaced free.

Ive fitted mine to the rear skull strap of my helmet,and points backwards, it lets you see the various hand gestures, and how close some idiots come to you, never had a problem with buses though.

Buy an extra mini sd card as well for a spare, to record going home as well, they record sound, so if a car does cut you up, talk a description of the car, reg and driver and it will be recorded on the card, i also say at the begining, that its what ever time it is along with the date.

SST
    Free Member

project – how good is the picture from yours? I’d love to get one and they don’t look too dear, but I want something that gives me a half decent picture at the end? For keeping as reminders of riding rather than safety.

project
    Free Member

On bright sunny days excellent picture, dull days not so good, will try and put some footage on Youtube.

SST
    Free Member

that would be useful. Cheers.

brooess
    Free Member

if we all did this. As in ALL cyclists, you can bet we’d see a change in attitude from police and drivers.
    People only behave badly when they think they can get away with it IMO

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

i’m going to look into this, see what the ctc say about it and start recording my road rides…

I think it’s something worth doing en-masse

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Riding to work the other day, had a car pull out of a driveway right in front of me – the driver obviously hadn’t realised there was also a police van behind me. He got stopped a little further up the road by the nice policeman 😀

TheBrick
    Free Member

There was a case of a Barrister in London who tired this, even he had trouble to get the police to take any action, I don’t know the final results but I know he was battling to get the police to take note. Fully story will be on his blog, cyclingsilk I think it was called.

samuri
    Free Member

I record all my commutes on my go pro. It’s bizarre, there’s this one junction where I was almost dying every single day and yet as soon as I mount the camera on my bars, they all stop doing it. Not that I’m complaining. If I have an incident of any description nowadays, I’ll store that clip. Hopefully I’ll get a good video’s worth of them at some point. I rate them 1 to 10 with 1 being vaguely annoying and 10 being actual impact. Since I’ve started recording I’ve not rated anything higher than a 5, although my commute is mostly offroad nowadays.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Helmetcams ? Video evidence of bad driving?’ is closed to new replies.