Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • helmet torches. no cables but floody. what are my options?
  • VanHalen

I have a decent light with a remote battery and a couple of ebay cheapo specials. I use the good light as a head torch for proper night rides and the torches for the commute.

What I want is a good floody torch to go on my bonce to allow me to go fast offroad for those times I get a cheeky extended commute.

I don’t want to use my good floody light on the bars as I like to see where I’m going.

What are my options? Cheap preferred but not essential. Run time doesn’t have to be massive.

Cheers mark

VanHalen

bump for the day crowd.

Northwind

My old P7 torch was pretty floody- not massively powerful mind, but more effective offroad than these brighter XML numbers which are usually much tighter.

sefton
    Free Member

£50 and its yours!

woody2000

Exposure Diablo is pretty floody IMO. I borrowed my mates when my light broke, and it was more than enough by itself

Aidy
    Free Member

Have my eye on an Xtar BK10, largely as it’s spec’ed with sane runtimes for biking.

Not tried one though, and can’t seem to find a review. Not massively expensive, so I expect I’ll take a punt on one at some stage.

slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve just taken delivery of one of these (I was finding the remote battery pack on my other ebay cheapo a pain). It only took six days to arrive (although it was actually posted in Germany and not Hong Kong as stated in the ebay details)

I’m using it for my commute home this evening so will report back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-1600Lum-Rechargeable-Zoomable-Headlamp-Headlight-18650-Bl-/400375672442?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item5d383fee7a

Vinnyc
    Free Member

Glow-worm

Aidy
    Free Member

Did everybody miss the “no cables” bit?

woody2000

Nope!

nigew
    Free Member

I’ve being using one of these for the very reasons you mention.
    It worked fine either on the bars or on my helmet,
    I stupidly put it on the wrong part of my camelback on a day ride and lost it 😳

slugwash
    Free Member

Did everybody miss the “no cables” bit?

I presumed that the OP was refereing to cables to remote battery packs.

I’ve also got one like nigew’s but it’s a bit of a faff to mount if you’ve got several helmets or want to use the torch for helmetless activities like running, kayaking or putting the recycling bin out at the end of the drive last thing at night on a Thursday 🙂

VanHalen

slugwash – how does that work with a peaked xc helmet? i could see it maybe working with a pisspot if some judicious use of gaffer tape was employed.

Exposure prices – holy moley!

i think the trustfire ebay special is a winner. i can buy at least 6 for the price of one exposure. that must generate more light!

Mounting torches is easy – i just use blutac and elastic bands through the vents.

cheers all!

slugwash
    Free Member

Cheap Cree Head Torch on Helmet by Slugwash, on Flickr

…definately the best Cree torch I’ve mounted on a helmet ‘cos it’s easily adjustable in the vertical plane to suit changes in gradient (uphill, downhill) without craning your neck. Good wide flood, but no so brilliant when focus is adjusted to spot. Worked well with a cree torch on spot mode mounted on the bars. HTH.

Northwind

I’m liking that… Might pick one up for off-the-bike use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘helmet torches. no cables but floody. what are my options?’ is closed to new replies.