Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Helmet time: Met Kaos vs Giro Xar?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Tried both, both fit nicely. Which one should I go for? Had a Met Veleno which saved my bonce after a big off, current Giro Hex has cracked..no impact? Hmmmm….

takisawa2

Another Hex.

stevied
    Free Member

Not really the answer to the question…I fancy a change from the Hex and, as it’s just cracked for no apparent reason have lost a little faith in them.

mangatank
    Free Member

POCs and TLD A1s have the same sort of fit as Giros. I tried a Khaos recently and thought it seemed cheaply manufactured compared to the likes of a Xar or the other two mentioned here, with the A1 just beating the POC for ridiculously high build quality standards.

thejesmonddingo

Catlike leaf 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wish I could recommend a Xar, but I can’t. The Roc-Loc set up is flimsy beyond belief. There are two parts, joined together and held in place by a pathetic little plastic tab that snaps off at the first opportunity.

Great helmet otherwise, but very badly let down by that.

mudsoul
    Free Member

I like the looks of the Xar, and it’s on the shortlist to replace my four year old E2, but also looking at the Bell Super.

variflex
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go for the XAR at the moment due to supply chain issues in the UK. Mine is less than a year old and the inner pads have disintegrated. No one has them in the stock (at least in UK), no one can get hold of them and GIRO US arent replying to emails. So Ive got a relatively expensive lid that is very painful to wear and no idea on when I can get it fixed.

Shame as I love GIRO helmets and have always been my first choice, shame they are in such a mess in the UK currently.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go for the XAR at the moment due to supply chain issues in the UK.

Yep, Madison are going all guns on Lazer this year. Better margins, I believe.

Also, the Xar is nothing like as good as an E2 is/was. Sadly. 🙁 Probably the best lid Giro ever made.

mangatank
    Free Member

I wondered what the Hell had happened to Giro. The Xen was/ is a fab helmet. Struggled to replace it with anything better until the A1.

stevio

i’ve a Met Kaos and a Bell Sequence (in the Yojimbo green) and swap them as my mood takes me – currently back on the Sequence and I would suggest it’s wortha look – comfy and adjusts well to my head….

iain1775
    Free Member

+1 for a Catlike Leaf, far more comfortable, lighter and better vented than both my Xen and Urge helmets
    Cheaper too

Ben_H

I had a Met Kaos UL from 2008 to 2012, then replaced it with a Giro Xar.

After a 18 months of (admittedly daily) wear, the Xar looks far worse off than the Kaos did.

My finger is hovering over the “order” button on another Kaos, which are currently selling for £60 / 50% off at Wiggle. The only thing that puts me off is the idea that Met must be planning a replacement if they’re being cleared off at that price??

Kryton57

Ben, who cares. I literally yesterday bought a blue Kaos UL from Wiggle, main cause the pads in my 3yo Kaos are shagged. Seeing as my helmet light is perfectly sorted on Kaos no1, it’s becoming my permanently ready night riding helmet.

It’s a great helmet if you have a Kaos shaped head.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had an E2, but got a Xar ridiculously cheap from Wiggle (£24!) and like the fit of it. The roc loc did break, but I didn’t lose any bits and repaired it with a drop of superglue. That was 6 months ago…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Helmet time: Met Kaos vs Giro Xar?’ is closed to new replies.