Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Helmet recommendations £100 or under.
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

My Bell Stoker has seen better days so needs replacing. I could just get another as its comfortable and fits really well, but just thought I would check other options!

The Bell Super looks good, but heavy (and a fraction over budget):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bell-super-3-mips-helmet-2017/rp-prod154837

Recon 661 Evo:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-evo-am-helmet-2017/rp-prod153125

Or MIPS version:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-evo-am-mips-helmet-2017/rp-prod122601

Troy Lee A1:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-a1-mips-helmet-classic-black-blue-2017/rp-prod157436

mindmap3
    Free Member

The A1 is a really good helmet – comfy but bloody hot. I really like mine and it was cheap from CRC.

I had a Bell Super beforehand which was good – not quite as warm but isnt as comfy (it’s still in service as the night riding helmet).

Can’t really comment on the 661 lids having never had one.

lunge

Not on your list but I really like the Carnac and On-One helmets. Cheap, fit well and will do the job.

dirkpitt74

7iDP, I have the M2 – fairly light and really comfortable.

jayx2a
    Free Member

The Bell Stoker is a good fit, so thinking the Super is the same fit.

I get quite hot head so maybe the A1 isnt the best option!

RustySpanner

I found Bell to be quite a specific fit, bit too round for me.
    Cateye and Kask slightly narrower.
    Everything else a bit tight on the sides, tbh.

DezB
    Free Member

Personally, I wouldn’t pay the extra for MIPS. I’m sure (and don’t care if they do!) that people (who have paid out for it) will disagree, but, to me it’s just another bit of marketing to make people spend more and/or replace their lids. None of the crashes I’ve had would’ve benefited from it… Helmet saved me anyway.

Anyway, I got a Kask Rex after it was recommended on a previous thread. Really comfortable and well made. (And not MIPS 😆 )

leegee

Try them on. I bought a Kali Interceptor online as I liked the way they were so open about their R&D. I found it really uncomfortable and returned it, my mistake for not trying it on first.

Tried POC Tectal & Trabec, Giro Chronicle, Smith Forefront, Bell super 3, Fox Metah and a Specialized lid. I’m waiting for a Lazer Revolution to come in before making a decision but so far the Tectal is the most comfy.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I think I have a more roundish head – the Bell is comfortable but wanted something a bit more lairy colour wise!!!

M2 looks good – maybe I should just order a selection to try on!

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Troy Lee A2 is available for £100ish. My A1 is the best fitting and most comfortable helmet I’ve ever had, BUT..it leaves much to be desired when it comes to ventilation. The A2 supposedly fixes this. So that’s where my £100 would be going.

Leku
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ixs-trail-rs-evo-helmet-2017/rp-prod154019?gs=1&pgrid=35187402885)&ptaid=pla-103436480716&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Product+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|s3rGK2lrI_dc|pcrid|161854965110|pkw||pmt||prd|562474UK

IXS Trail. Just about to replace mine after 2 1/2 years and a couple of recent headplants. Good protection and comfortable. Previously had Giro Feature (bit too hot) & POC (lovely but only because it was discounted).

jayx2a
    Free Member

So whats the general opinion on MIPS? Is it worth it?

rocketman
    Free Member

I have a Trabec Race MIPS because at the time it was cheaper than the non-MIPS version

Basically the lining/cradle is attached to a layer of plastic that in turn is attached to the EPS. The plastic layer allows the lining and cradle to move approx 5mm in certain directions in relation to the EPS. The chin straps are attached to the EPS so they aren’t influenced by the MIPS. The EPS kind of shudders when riding over root and ruts. It’s quite noticeable during ride #1 but you soon get used to it.

I imagine there is a specific type of crash scenario where the MIPS layer might actually do something but in my experience crashes tend to be quite chaotic and involve combinations of impacts/rolling/slides. Personally I wouldn’t pay a premium for a MIPS lid

nwmlarge
    Free Member

had a stoker got a carnac its more comfy and lighter and half the price

joebristol

I had this decision before Christmas and bought a Giro Chronicle. Got it for just over £60 and it came with mips – no option to have it without so no decision to make on that feature!

Really light and comfortable – felt much lighter than both the Bell super and Troy Lee A1. Available in loads of colours so if you want lairy you should find something to suit.

Runs a bit warmer than my ‘normal’ (non enduro) helmets – which are Uvex (road) and Decathlon (mtb) – but would say its cooler than the TL A1.

If you want more features (GoPro mount) then there the Girl Montaro as well, but it’s more expensive and I couldn’t find one to try on for size.

fatoldgit

Sale on at lazersport.co.uk

Not sure if any fit the bill but worth a look

velocipede
    Free Member

I second the comments above about Planet X/Carnac – the helmets are great prices and I find the fit great – really no need to spend more in my opinion!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Helmet recommendations £100 or under.’ is closed to new replies.