Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 615 total)
  • Helmet on road?
  • aracer
    Free Member

That’s just because the US legal system is rubbish though – he will lose his claim, but it costs him nothing to bring it.

GrahamS

costs him nothing to bring it.

But sadly it costs the family money to defend it! What a crap system.

DezB
    Free Member

I doubt if the money is their main complaint.

Last bloke who tried something similar dropped the case:

Hundreds of protesters gathered outside the courthouse and the pending lynch mob convinced Delgado and his lawyer that continued litigation would be a bad idea.

Here’s hoping.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Sadly this man has killed TWO cyclists.

Helmeted or not and the real debate is how we get pricks like this off the road for good.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some shocking decisions on this and I do agree with this comment

“He says that Mrs Fyfe not wearing a helmet contributed to her death. That’s a bit like saying if I am shot while not wearing a bullet-proof vest then it’s my fault.

You may as well arguing owning a bike and going on the road contributed
    However she would have been fine had she not been hit

Can car drivers payouts be reduced if they chose to drive a car without airbags or a poor safety rating?

Euro
    Free Member

Been happening for years…….

Notice how she is protecting her head by holding it away from the ground? That’s something we learn as young children. The more you do it, the more instinctive it becomes. Those banging their heads all the time were wrapped in cotton wool as kids and didn’t get the chance to hone their self preservation skills. Probably best they wear a lid every time they ‘re on a bike.

Junkyard
    Free Member

obvious troll is obvious not to mention incredibly slow off the mark

Euro
    Free Member

If that ^^ is aimed at me then please clarify.

So you’re saying we don’t learn to protect our head from damage in fall when young?

You’re also saying practice doesn’t make perfect, and someone who has never done something before will be just as adept as another who has repeatedly rehearsed?

I throw your troll accusation back in your face! (and apologize for not spending my life on here being so slow)

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’re also saying practice doesn’t make perfect,

So you are saying the unhelmeted have practicised crashing till they are perfect at it and your non trolling argument is they crash more so they get injured less

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

Ok, this is my first time contributing to the helmet debate, but I couldn’t resist.

I always wear a hemet when riding on and off road, but I have given this issue a lot of thought. My reasoning is:

1. Helmets are designed to reduce head injuries in certain types of scenario

2. As far as I can understand, these scenarios correspond to impacts at “cycling speed” with hard surfaces

3. Whilst helmets are not *designed* to reduce head injuries with motor vehicles travelling at “motor vehicle speed”, they may well provide some marginal benefit over not wearing a helmet in such a scenario

4. Real world crashes of type 2 above are a definite possibility. I have experience of such crashes on and off road (thankfully none involving motor vehicles). In most of the crashes, my legs, arms or shoulders took the brunt of the impact. In a minority, I also banged my head. One of the crashes resulted in me having slight concussion, another just in a very stiff neck the next day. I cannot say whether I would have sustained more severe head injuries had I not been wearing a helmet, just that I believe that the impacts experienced were within the design basis for the helmets.

5. Whilst an argument could be made for not wearing helmets because they are not designed to protect the wearer in crashes of type 3 above, this would not reduce the likelihood of the wearer being involved in a crash of type 2 above.

6. I do not personally experience any disbenefit with helmet use, so the risk/benefit trade off is a simple one. I can cope with being sweaty, and have very short hair.

That’s just my reasoning. I’m happy with wearing a helmet.

Interestingly, there is a similar debate in the yachting community with respect tot the wearing of life jackets on yachts (racing vs cruising etc). The RNLI have a “Useless unless worn” campaign.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Anyone that chooses not to wear a helmet is stupid.

GrahamS

Anyone that chooses not to wear a helmet is stupid.

Anyone who makes blanket statements without considering the issue properly is likewise afflicted.

Or are just trying to re-ignite a thread that has run its course.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

There’s no issues, Helmets protect your head more than not wearing one so therefore your stupid not too. It isn’t rocket science.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Shuttup fool just because you dont care about your wife and kids and who you leave behind …yadda yadda hyperbole, poor example, it saved my life etc

I am praying for a religious thread – we have had Gypsies

Graham – really leave it they can either read the thread or spout ignorance but I salute your indefatigability if you try 😉
    Here I started them off for you

Helmets protect your head more than not wearing one

[quote]
    Is this a rule for everything you do or just the activity of cycling?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Oh dear so I’m ignorant for not reading the whole thread and because I think people who don’t take precautions to protect themselves are stupid. You can’t cover every scenario that could happen to you whilst riding a bicycle but wearing helmets defiantly reduce the risk of hurting your head if you come off and hit your head. But argue to the contrary I will just ignore you.

GrahamS

Oh dear so I’m ignorant for not reading the whole thread

Yup. If you want to consider some of the arguments with an open-mind then go back and read the thread.

Funnily enough one of the main topics was the patronising hypocritical insults that the Hats feel obliged to dole out to the Non-Hats. 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

As a hat he is not wrong on that point – there was abit from the noin hats as well but it seemed to be largely humour, stupidity or frustration;[ a minority of] the hats seemed to mean it

Oh dear so I’m ignorant for not reading the whole thread …… But argue to the contrary I will just ignore you.

Exactly why have you joined in then?
    You dont want to rea dyou dont want to listen
    Politely many /most of the issues have been covered and by far more erudite contributors

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Oh dear hot under the collar aren’t we, just hope you don’t hit your heads and leave it at that 🙄

irc

but wearing helmets defiantly reduce the risk of hurting your head if you come off and hit your head.

How exactly would I wear a helmet defiantly? No straps? A jaunty angle? Or with a rebellious expression on my face?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh dear hot under the collar aren’t we,

No, not even some more straw men and ad homs will provoke a reaction.

I fail to understand why anyone would enter a debate, refuse to read the topic, refuse to listen, then accuse others of being “emotional or angry” 😕

Its a strange place on here sometimes

Euro
    Free Member

Here’s a sweeping generalisation:

Those who insist on wearing a helmet on every ride are fairly new to riding a bike. They maybe rode as a child (without a lid no doubt) and have discovered mtb (or road) now they have matured and are all grown up. It’s part of the biker uniform and being of a certain age, are sensible enough not to ride without a helmet. The fact that they are only really getting to grips with how to ride a bike suggests that it’s a prudent decision. Sadly, some of these fine folk think that everyone should safety up as they do, hence the insults directed at those who wear a lid only when they think they might need one. Obviously there’ll be the odd exception to this.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

back in from page 8, anything new? Anyone care to summarise?

GrahamS

Anyone care to summarise?

Some general agreement, or at least acceptance of alternative positions, followed by a light-hearted interlude, then more recently new folk showing up on the thread to repeat the pro-hat lines from the first two pages. 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

be fair a non hat also turned up to call hats scared noobs who like the “uniform” so the insults /caricatures have been in both directiosn

Euro
    Free Member

It is part of the uniform though Junkyard. Gloves and lid are the basics a shop will sell a new rider. Most of us would recommend the same, so it’s not just a shop thing. And where you getting the ‘scared noob’ thing from? Someone new to an activity simply won’t the experience of someone who has been doing it a while longer. I don’t think that’s an insult.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

So your assuming I might read something earlier on in the thread that may change my understanding/reasoning behind not wearing a helmet. Also why is it that seasoned bike riders think they are superior and so highly skilled that their bike handling prowess will save their skull. More stupid insults coming my way I expect.

GrahamS

So your assuming I might read something earlier on in the thread that may change my understanding/reasoning behind not wearing a helmet.

Given that the current limit of your understanding/reasoning appears to be “your stupid not too” then yes.

You don’t have to agree of course, but you should at least consider that other people’s viewpoints may be based on something more than stupidity.

Do you wear a high viz vest and helmet cover? Got mirrors fitted to your bike? Wear a neck brace and spine protector?

Your [sic] stupid not too 😀

aracer
    Free Member

More stupid insults comments coming my way from flippinheckler I expect.

I thought it was a troll, but it seems he really can’t be bothered to read the thread to see how his “arguments” have already been addressed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is part of the uniform though Junkyard.

I am not aware of a uniform for cyclist and i see them in all sorts of gear

And where you getting the ‘scared noob’ thing from?

the bit where you said it mainly

Someone new to an activity simply won’t the experience of someone who has been doing it a while longer. I don’t think that’s an insult.

Indeed that is not but suggesting that this is the only argument for and the only reason for suggesting helmet use is a straw man and an ad hom

More stupid insults coming my way I expect.

Another interesting internet meme where folk insult folk then act like they are the ones getting the insults

flippinheckler
    Free Member

All I’ve said was its stupid not to wear a helmet for obvious reasons. No matter how science based the argument for and against are I would rather wear a helmet than take risk. I don’t need to read a load of waffle to reach that conclusion.

Euro
    Free Member

I am not aware of a uniform for cyclist

Seriously? You’ve never seen bike specific clothing? Helmets, gloves, pads, shirts, shorts and shoes designed specifically for cycling in. The tour was on last week and all the participants wore the road uniform. Not only do i find that hard to believe, but i’d bet some monies that you yourself have a uniform or two.

Still don’t see where i said ‘scared noob’ but this little exchange has showed me how you may have come to that conclusion. You just make stuff up ’cause you’re bored 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

can you lot agree on the [naughty words] summary!

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’ve never seen bike specific clothing?

yes I have but iirc no one has to wear it and it is perfectly ok for me to ride without dressing like I am professional sponsored rider competing in the TdF – I think i would look more of a tit if i did dress in team Sky kit but each to their own. their is no unifrom though certain clothing is more suited to cycling than other types

Still don’t see where i said ‘scared noob’ but this little exchange has showed me how you may have come to that conclusion. You just make stuff up ’cause you’re bored

yes I do like to jump to conclusions about the motives and reasons for why others choose to wear helmets and suggest others do …good point well made 🙄

The fact that they are only really getting to grips with how to ride a bike suggests that it’s a prudent decision. Sadly, some of these fine folk think that everyone should safety up as they do

I guess you could [ and will] deny that is a scared noob that I fantasised from boredom
    Anyway i did about 7 pages of juvenile insults earlier so you can read the arguments for and against if you wish and there are some good points on both sides of the debate as well as lots too much of this type of “debate”

GrahamS

All I’ve said was its stupid not to wear a helmet for obvious reasons.

Ah the irony of being accused of ignorance by someone who can’t be bothered to read the arguments. 😀

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Why do I have to read the arguments?

Junkyard
    Free Member

To stop you being ignorant of the debate you have just entered 💡

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’m not ignorant just understand the merits of wearing a helmet rather than not, just because people have been lucky enough get away without being injured from not wearing a helmet doesn’t mean they will be impervious to getting that knock on the head that could prematurely end their cycling days.

GrahamS

So if you’re not ignorant then what are some of the arguments put forward against wearing a helmet?

Do you really think the best way to convince someone is to insult them and to refuse listen to anything they say?

Other people have managed fairly considered arguments on both sides – maybe you should read them?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

maybe you should read them?

No thanks, I understand what a helmet is for thats why I wear one!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes clearly you do understand everything about this debate who could think that – is it anyone who has read the thread –
    This simplistic argument has been debated near the start of the thread but dont let the facts get in the way

It is not as clear cut as a helmet will save my life and there is also the issue of risk compensation.
    They have been extensively debated in the thread

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Helmet on road?’ is closed to new replies.