Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Helmet on a plane?
  • randomjeremy
    Free Member

Hey guys I’m a terrible flyer and usually drive everywhere but this year it looks like I have been roped in to flying for our summer Euro trip.

So, the bike will go in a bike bag, but what do STWers do with their fullface helmets? In the bike bag? Hold luggage? Carry it on board? It’s a critical piece of kit after all, and seeing as I have a massive swell head, if my helmet gets damaged on the ‘plane, I might not be able to find another one at short notice once we land.

Flying with British Airways if that makes a difference

cheers

Keith

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i took mine on a few years ago.

i would ask the BA!

thomthumb
    Free Member

carried mine on last time. you are allowed handluggage + handbag. i put my purse and lipstick in mine and they asked no questions 😆

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Wear it?

andrewh
    Free Member

I took 2 helmets with me when I went, one in the handluggage and one on my head. Also had a pair of tyres in hand luggage, no problems at all.
    Don’t know about a wearing a full-face though, may have to take it off at passport control.
    Actually, I was quite short of luggage space. As well as my helmet I was wearing 2 pairs of trousers, 3 T-shirts, 2 jumpers and a coat. Took it all off again as soon as I had passed through check-in, silly rule, but it doesn’t count to the weight if you are wearing it. It was fine at Birmingham, someone less cofortable when i had to put it all back on to change planes in Dubai…

SST
    Free Member

Actually, I was quite short of luggage space. As well as my helmet I was wearing 2 pairs of trousers, 3 T-shirts, 2 jumpers and a coat. Took it all off again as soon as I had passed through check-in, silly rule, but it doesn’t count to the weight if you are wearing it. It was fine at Birmingham, someone less cofortable when i had to put it all back on to change planes in Dubai…

lololol I’ve never gone to that length, but did wear 2 jackets getting onto a plane once for the same reason.

bentudder

If you’ve got a fear of flying, have you considered wearing it on you head for the duration of the flight?

I used to carry it on as carry-on luggage. You may not get away with that now. I’ve since flown with XC lids and it’s not an issue – but they’re a lot smaller.

flatfish
    Free Member

Saw a couple of people getting on our easy jet plane a couple of weeks ago for skiing. Not full face but a helmet never the less.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses – I have spoken to the BA callcentre and all they can tell me is that it “probably will be ok, it will be at the discretion of the boarding staff” which is useless of course.

pullfaces
    Free Member

If I have to fly with a bike I try to only use BA. They’re good like that, but pay up front for an extra bag in Manage My Booking option. Depending on where you’re going it’s £34 in europe and £77 worldwide. This gives you an extra 23kg to play with.
    If there’s a family or a couple of you and just one bike you may be ok.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Helmet on a plane?’ is closed to new replies.