Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Helmet cams
  • Woody
    Free Member

Can’t quite justify the cost of a full GoPro set-up but quite like the look of THIS ONE (and the price) and wondered if anyone had experience or recommendations.

Will be used for skiing and bike stuff.

Cheers in advance

spikester
    Free Member

I’d save yourself some money and don’t buy it.
    I have that camera and would say it’s only any good for smooth stuff like road biking – I paid less then that – about £40 and got a hd one and it’s just not worth it. Now saving for a go pro
    Hope that helps

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

We run a drift hd camera on our inshore lifeboat and a contour as a head cam for call outs.

the drift is amazing and good usability, but dont know how it compares to the new go pro 2 ?

Woody
    Free Member

Just found This thread where quality control is an issue.

Will have a search for the Drift and Contour.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I have a Drift Stealth HD. Paid about £130 on ebay afew months ago. Comes with the mounts and its video quality is really really good. Image stabilisation is great. 60fps at 720p 30fps at 1080p. Nice little remote for the wrist. Make sure you get an additional battery (or the extra cappacity one) though if you plan on using all day. I use a 16gb card. The old contour HD are meant to be good and are going for a good price now too.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

A bit wary of buying used but there have been a couple of GoPro’s in the classifieds recently. Not HD though. Is the difference worth the extra?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Woody definately! HD is the way to go now.

Cheap Drifts here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DRIFT-HD170-STEALTH-HELMET-ACTION-CAMERA-FULL-1080P-FULL-HD-FULL-WARRANTY-/110786958666?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item19cb6ad54a

The goggle mounts are included too in the standard box.

Nice CX vid below to show the stabilisation. A really good test of the cam as most full susser bikes soak it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=javYUbDwgA4&feature=plcp&context=C33ddb67UDOEgsToPDskL1lawgLO__pOlNRcswmpPB

Woody
    Free Member

Cheers rumble – bit more than I wanted to spend but looking at it rationally, there is no point in getting a cheap unit if it doesn’t record decent footage or breaks!

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

action cameras . com ….

colournoise

Got a Drift X170 (non HD) and it’s rugged and easy to use but suffers from exposure adjustment issues. Anyone know if the newer HD ones have solved that?

There’s also the new Veho Muvi HD models but haven’t seen much footage from them yet.

slainte ❓ rob

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I had the X170 before the Stealth. Wooded areas where light went quickly were a problem, as the camera just could not handle it. It happens with the new one to a degree (as im sure with most action cameras) but not enough to spoil the video and seems way better than my old X170. Also there is a night mode and exposure adjustment which helps.

jimc101
    Free Member

Tempted by the Drift, currently cheaper on Amazon

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

thats a good price!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Helmet cams’ is closed to new replies.