Helmet cams

Home Forum Bike Forum Helmet cams

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Helmet cams
  • mattbibbings

Contour roam. Simply outstanding for the money. Super simple to use too.

Rickos

Thanks, Matt.

So, helmet or chest mount? Is it only GoPro that can do chest mount?

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Go pro + ipad camera adaptor + iMovie.

Simples.

iPhone app is great for setting up and framing shots.

Not had a chance to do much with mine yet

[video]http://vimeo.com/63009967[/video]

Rickos

Now we’re talking. Being able to edit on the iPad is a winner. I do like the look of that Contour though.

Jim – any thoughts on chest v. helmet mounting? I suppose with chest you get a more ‘in the cockpit’ type view which is nice.

Rickos

I feel the need to purchase one after following my boy down a couple of our local trails. So, which is best? The least faff in editing and downloading would be nice.

OK, go!

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Only done chest so far. Barely notice it on.

Surfboard mount is next on the list.

Candodavid

Get a rear facing seat mount and ride in front of everyone else!

hammyuk

Get the HD Max Extreme – same architecture as the Gopro but with a rotatable lens, upgraded firmware, inbuilt screen, etc.
    A lot less money too…

Rickos

HD Max Extreme is £275 and GoPro 3 White is £200. Am I looking at the right one?

To be honest the chest cam view on play back is enough to sway me to a camera that can do chest recording. Is that GoPro (& HD Max Extreme) only?

hammyuk

Add a remote, backpack screen and the rest and its a lot more money

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Don’t need any of those with new gopro. iPhone app does all that.

_tom_

Gopro 2 with latest firmware and pro tune on seems to get great results if the light is good 🙂 gopro vids can get boring though so make sure you edit it up to keep it interesting!

Deveron53

Sony HDR-AS15. Just got one. I’d say equivalent of the GoPro Hero3 Silver but without the risk of DOA. PLUS GoPro have been throwing their weight about recently slapping DCMA on reviewer here.
    At £185 on Ebay it’s a bargain!

Rickos

Deveron – I definitely want chest cam now and that Sony doesn’t do that. Also that DCMA link is such a non-story.

Hammy – I agree with jam bo. Why do I need remote, etc?

So, £200 on the GoPro 3 White seems to be winning at the moment. Any other chest mounted cams out there?

Deveron53

I have adapted a GoPro-ish (Dealextreme special for a tenner!) chest harness for the Sony, I hope to have some footage taken on it later today. I’m waiting to take some decent stuff rather than upload the first crappy video I take! I have a lot of test videos but won’t inflict them on the world!
    Yes, the Sony sticks out a bit from your chest like a Dalek’s eye but the mounting is very stable. The GoPro hinge flexes a bit for my liking.
    The Sony has very good electronic image stabilisation. That’s the main feature that elevates it above Hero3 Silver. Also the low light capability is superior.
    I watched just about every comparison between Sony and GoPro and only the Hero3 Black exceeded the Sony but the cost and the QA of the GoPro eliminated it.
    The Sony has excellent wifi connectivity and battery life. I helmet-cammed an entire 70 minute ride in one take with wifi on all the time and still had a full battery indicator at the end.

The Sony’s bad points are:
    1. Loose LCD screen causing ‘knock’ on audio – Most users (me included), open it up and apply a bit of tape or glue to the back of the screen – easy 15 minute job.
    2. Flare from the waterproof case’s domed door-lens – I took my glass off and have made an adapter for a proper 37mm screw-on filter so I can use high quality flat multicoated filters.
    3. Poor sound when used inside waterproof housing – I have made the housing into a ‘skeleton housing’ by drilling holes (and then filling them with foam) for the stereo mic and ‘bleep on/off’ speaker.
    4. Camera can only be woken from sleep when in the waterproof housing by using the ‘start filming’ button – I have also hacked an old 7dayshop waterproof housing and used the buttons from it to adapt the Sony case to allow full camera control from the outside of the waterproof housing.

The mods I’ve made destroy the ‘waterproof to 60 metres’ feature but make the camera a whole lot more usable for biking. It’s water ‘resistant’ now. If I decide to take up diving, I’ll buy another factory-fresh housing with the new flat dive-door!

I think the main thing holding back the Sony is the lack of mounting options and case accessories. For now, keen users can make their own mods and wait for the official Sony stuff to come out. I can’t fault the video quality which, to be honest is the main reason I bought it. No rolling shutter AT ALL!

I’ll have photos of all my home made mods when tweaking is completed. Should be end of this week.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Go Pro for me
    Edited in Adobe Premiere
    Whatever cam it is it gets better if you can hold it still too
    [video]http://vimeo.com/63068559[/video]
    a more regular mounted vid
    [video]http://vimeo.com/64793356[/video]

Prem Pro CS6 is on free trial on the cloud for a month currently – fully functional version too.

Where’s that tassie trail?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Both is tassie not sure if I can name the second one. You in Tassie

monogramman

Veho Muvi hd. Chest mountable with built in screen and very well priced compared to other cams.

I’ve just bought one brand new for £100, It comes with loads of mounts and a 4gb card with a tiny bit of internal memory

I have not used it much but it is as good as my contour hd the only thing I do need to look at though is the sound as it is a bit buzzy at times. I usually put music over the top though

mrbotticelli

Deveron, looking forward to seeing some footage, especially since John Lewis have the Sony for £199 with 2 years warranty.

Be interested to see how it looks chest mounted as well.

Rickos

That Veho Muvi looks good value, although I quite like being able to listen to the sounds of a ride, so if it’s a bit buzzy that may get annoying.

stumpy01

We’ve just come back from a weekend riding in Wales and one of the blokes brought along his Go Pro. It was very good and has got me lookiby.
    The one I like the look of the most is the Drift Ghost hd. Comes with screen, remote, is waterproof without a casing and has a rotating lens so you don’t have to mount it perfectly square.also has an app which lets you control it from a phone.

Monogrammam, how good are the standard mounts on the Muvi HD. I’ve got one of their little, non HD cameras and the mounts are all rubbish. Although saying that the camera isn’t really up to videoing fastmountain bike stuff anyway. The Muvi HD does look very good value for money.

jam bo, that lab has a death wish at 47 seconds! 😯

Nice vid though, thanks for that!

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

stanley? he’s a bit of a nutter and Dartmoor cycles resident idiot.

monogramman

The mounts for the muvi are good as standard, there is a holder with a very strong clip, (I’ve used that to chest mount on my camelbak straps), helmet straps, and tripod style mounts, bits of velcro and sticky mounts. The tripod style ones do need tightening securely at the joints tho.

I have just bought a veho chest harness for £20 new, but I have read they can possibly work on a go pro harness/mount.

One thing I have discovered, If used upside down the camera will not auto correct and the video will need rotating in editing.

If you want to see the quality of any particular camera just type its make in to youtube, may sound obvious but many people don’t think about it.

Duane…

The least faff in editing and downloading would be nice.

I’m sure that 90% of helmet camera owners have bucket loads of footage that they have recorded, have copied onto their PC, maybe watched once, and then done nothing else. In my opnion and experience, you have to be willing to put some effort into editing the footage for it to be worth having one.

Having said that, short crappy edit I made the other day, shot on a GoPro HD2 with chest cam. Really want to get a GoPro3 Black, but they’re not cheap…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un3jyZiKRGg[/video]

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

SportPursuit have an offer on the Ion AirPro WiFi at the moment – £180. No chest mount for it though.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I’m sure that 90% of helmet camera owners have bucket loads of footage that they have recorded, have copied onto their PC, maybe watched once, and then done nothing else. In my opnion and experience, you have to be willing to put some effort into editing the footage for it to be worth having one.

Biggest thing to do, it took me 12 months to edit and upload 10 days worth of video from a summer trip, I try and do it during the week I come back not, but I do work from home now and only part time….

My current ratio of film/publish is around 1hr/5mins

Other top tips are vary the angles, put the camera down and think about it. If you record what you are doing it will be average, if you want to make a film it will end up better but take much longer.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

also make sure if it’s on chest mount or others make sure it’s angled up right. Otherwise viewing it will result in trying to look up…..

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

[video]http://vimeo.com/65216108[/video]

another chest cam from last night. Not sure I’ve quite got the conversion settings right.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

look sabout right, tilt back a little though. What did you convert as? Vimeo is happy with 720 rather than 1080.

Deveron53

I’ve shot some sample footage on the Sony and was about to assemble a post but then discovered the firmware update from 1.3 to 2.0 is out so had to go and try it tonight.
    60fps* in 1080 with stabilisation is the main extra feature. Also has underwater white balance and beep silencing. Also found out about loads of mounts and alternative cases coming out in June along with updated app.
    I’m still glad I bought the Sony!

*showed up the crap IT equipment in my house! PC was juddery, Smart TV refused to play via SD card/media player, in the end, had to play the 60fps clips straight from the camera with a HDMI lead! Managed to catch me falling off during filming.

Deveron53

Here’s some sample videos with varying degrees of bumpiness.
    All shot at 120 degrees, Steadyshot, 30fps
    I only have a fully rigid OneOne Inbred 29er with Hans Dampf on front and Purgatory on rear so no magic carpet ride!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AFbnpO07K0[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD7Nw0SyxDc[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2HbAKLVVEA[/video]

The final one is over huge roots that tests the limit of 29er rollability!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze1-ki_zU2w[/video]

I was controlling the camera from my phone mounted on the handlebars. You can’t see me starting and stopping the video because I edited the clips!

The lighting was very low and contrasty and Youtube conversion has degraded the quality quite a bit – it looked superb on a direct HDMI feed from the output…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Helmet cams’ is closed to new replies.