Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Helmet cam. Should I?
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Been thinking for a while about getting a cam, but in a dilema as "A" I think its slightly odd thing to do and "B" it may be a total waste of money. Apart from that im good with it. Someone recomended a Tachyon camera and i missed one on Ebay for £60 (about £170) new. This is about my budget, so can anyone recomend one for that sort of money or is it the knid of thing that ends up lying in a drawer unused?

donsimon
    Free Member

Mine's lying in the drawer. I guess it depends on the riding you do and who with.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The camera never lies.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

never really that impressed with helmet cam footage, you need good riders and fast smooth trails to get the benefit really (yes, I have one in the drawer too) A robust little camcorder will generally provide better footage, steadier, properly composed shots, more flattering angles (even big jumps look flat on helmet cam), but then you need to be the kind of person who will set this kind of thing up…

Northwind

They can be good fun, but I like making the videos, I'm not thinking "I'll be a youtube sensation", it's just another bit of the wider riding hobby so to speak. Probably not for everyone though.

If you're going to do it, either do it right or do it dirt cheap, don't do it a little bit cheap.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I've thought about documenting all my local trails with one and then hyperlinking from google maps or sommat. Feels a bit like stamp collecting tho. I was thinking about the gopro HD with chest mount.

jam-bo

I thought about it and then realised it'd be one more set of crap videos online.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Great idea, but you'll be bored of in after a couple of weeks and it'll be in the drawer like everyone else.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I got a Go Pro Hd a while back,Its the first one thats been practical for me,no wires or faffing. 8)

Heres some footage from Tuesdays Keswick night ride chasin a "parked tiger" and a sheep down a local trail.

_tom_
    Free Member

I like footage when its attached to the frame/fork but headcam looks crap to me – slows everything down and makes things look tiny.

335.geek
    Free Member

I never bother watching helmetcam footage, not even my own.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi Gavgas footage is of fine quality trail looks even finer, where is it?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I watch quite a lot of bulletcam stuff – lol at the sheep @1:16

rockhopper70

I used a £12 md80 camera mounted on the bars. Almost thruway at that price. Plenty of examples of footage on YouTube. Used mine in morzine a couple of weeks ago and for the 8 in our group it was a great silver…..souver…. Momentous.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Cant say NCB as its a bit cheeky!..I have disgused the trail a bit too, as I dont want it to be discovered,and I trust the people riding with me on the night are going to keep shtum on here..ta.

Great bit of gear though and just wanted to illustrate that,It works great in low light, and is fully waterproof 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Helmet cam. Should I?’ is closed to new replies.