Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Helmet cam recommendations for commuting
  • jeffl

So after a mini bout of road rage on the commute today, with someone threatening to run me off the road for riding in the primary position, I’m thinking about getting a helmet cam. It only needs to run for a couple of hours and audio would be nice. I’ve seen a few bullet style cameras about the size of a battery which can just velcro to the helmet, these seem ideal. Oh and also cheaper is better, so if anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

Ta,
    Jeff

jeffl

Bump for the lunchtime crowd.

lorax

I have the second generation Roadhawk Ride R. It fits nicely in an Exposure lights helmet mount, does a continuous recording loop on a micro-SD, the battery lasts an hour or so, and the quality is good enough for catharsis. It also buzzes when you switch it on or off which is very helpful – you can feel it through the helmet so you know when it’s on. I had the basic ‘Bullet’ version before and it was rubbish, but this one’s pretty good. I wish it had better battery life but as long as I charge it overnight it’s fine.

bails

Cycliq do front and rear lights with integrated cameras.

Otherwise the cheap little cams are, IME, cheap for a reason. The SJ4000 (GoPro lookalike) is meant to be good. Might be a bit too big and square for helmet attachment though.

jimdubleyou

I have the Cycliq Fly 6 (the rear one) – it’s pretty good for identifying who was trying to kill you if the lights ok. Not that great in the dark, but you can usually get a number plate.

Quite fancy getting a Fly12 too, but they added a lot of features which I’m not sure I need.

mrchrispy

Fly6 is ace, well worth the money.
    The odd ‘discussion’ I’ve had always fizzles out when I point out the camera (its also help keep me well behaved).

disco_stu
    Free Member

After someone failed to give way to me on a roundabout yesterday I’m starting to think I should get one of these.

TiRed

Fly12 (front) and a Fly6 (rear).

The 12 is bigger than you might expect for a Joystick with a camera, but it is a nice piece of kit. The 6 is an excellent rear light in its own right.

iain1775
    Free Member

SJCam 4000 series
    Not bullet size, more GoPro but it has an auto record and overwrite function so can also be used as a dashcam in your car, or good enough quality for recording your trail centre gnarfest

And do you really want a small discrete thing, I would think an obvious camera would be more of a deterrent against someone ‘raging’ on you

jeffl

Ideally wanted something that wouldn’t interfere with the function of my helmet if it ended up doing the job it was meant to. Was thinking of something like this power lead PC6 although reviews seem mixed https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0157QMR48/

project
    Free Member

iON WIFI camera 45 QUIDS IN STAPLES at present time, works well and is a tube camera

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ive been using my DRIFT camera on my commuting helmet after a run in with a cretin who took offence at Primary Position & ‘looking at him at the junction’.
    TBH I haven’t had it charged for a couple of months, but it does seem that the very sight of it makes people think twice.

I have fun filtering alongside a queue of cars with phone fiddling drivers & saying “smile for the camera!”

duncdan
    Free Member

Look at the mobius. £60

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Helmet cam recommendations for commuting’ is closed to new replies.