Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hellvellyn advice
  • fieldy
    Free Member

A few of our gang are fancying a go at hellvellyn but which is the preferred route?

I need detailed advice… Where to start, where to finish, what to look out for, nearest camp sites etc

ir_bandito
    Free Member

You want to go long or short?

From Glenridding/Patterdale:

Short, push up Keppel Cove, ride back down from Sticks Pass.

Long, one I want to try is up Keppel Cove, over the top to Nethernmost Pike, along the valley to Town Head, up Great Tongue and down Grisedale. Could start that from Grasmere for an easier first up-and-over.

fieldy
    Free Member

Need to get back to where we start from, so not sure which is best?

Pook

Don’t go up from Dockray, but do go down Raise and Sticks. These people wanted to kill me for the grassy bit.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/22479604[/video]

Don’t go down Dollywaggon.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/24536018[/video]

Dollywaggon is dull.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Both of my suggestions are circular routes. The longer one goes down the other side and back over. The short one is up, along and back down.

Another one that will avoid the crowds is starting from Glenridding, north along the r=lakeside road, then up the A509 to Dockray. Up to High Row, then follow the Old Coach Road all the way to the Threlkeld Mines at St John in the Vale. Cross the valley up to the church, then head south to Sosgill Bridge.South down B5322 to Legburnthwaite, then carry your bike up to Sticks Pass. Then enjoy the descent all the way to Glenridding.

fieldy
    Free Member

The decent looks sweet!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

mbr has an article on it this month which may be worth a look?

Pook

Fieldy – yep, Sticks Pass is awesome. One of the best IMHO.

Garry_Lager

I think up from the Old Coach Rd to the Dodds (Pook’s link above) is great if it’s dry enough. Nice slow winch up and then you’ve got the whole ridge in front of you. It is (apparently) awful in the wet and to be avoided.

hilton83
    Free Member

I’m doing hellvelyn next week, and I can’t bloody wait, a week in the lakes with my bike,…. Perfection 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dollywaggon if you have the skills otherwise if will be a long walk down.

Though unless it’s mid week it will be crawling with people and probably no fun anywhere

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ridden over the Dodds in both directions several times when it was bone dry. It was a grassy slog going up and wasn’t much better going down. I’d dread to to think what it would be like when wet. It does make for an epic ridge ride though, doing the full length.

Pook

dollywaggon is bobbins compared to sticks. first 100yards are fun but then its just…..

kdunk kdunk kdunk kdunk kdunk

I’ve ridden down more fun staircases.

Bandito – we did the wet Dodds <shudder>

mikewsmith
    Free Member

dollywaggon is bobbins compared to sticks. first 100yards are fun but then its just…..

kdunk kdunk kdunk kdunk kdunk

I’ve ridden down more fun staircases.

One of the best stair cases I have ridden! The run out from the Tarn back to Glenridding is awesome too

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The run out from the Tarn back to Glenridding is awesome too

Only ridden up it, and walked down it, but that’s why I’ve included it in my loop above.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Definitely avoid the coach road up to, and over, the Dodds – we’ve had way too much rain recently and it’d be a depressing wet bog / slog.
    Up Keppel Cove, Lower Man, then turn around, down and over Raise, down Sticks back to Glenridding – that would get my vote.

Fix the fells turned a couple of sections of Sticks into a BMX track last year but they’re still fun.

grum
    Free Member

Dollywaggon is dull.

The stepped bit isn’t amazing but it’s well worth it for the bit after IMO.

fieldy
    Free Member

Some decent suggestions so far. What about local camping or bunkhouses?

Spin
    Free Member

Dollywaggon is dull.

The stepped bit isn’t amazing but it’s well worth it for the bit after IMO.

+1

fieldy
    Free Member

Looking at next Saturday, anyone else going?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Parked Tigers advice above is spot on for the current ground conditions, I was up The big H last weekend and I have never seen it so wet 😥

jekkyl

Sykeside campsite is good and has bunk rooms where you can share with your mates, pretty cheap. They have 2 bars on site as well that botyh serve food. http://www.sykeside.co.uk/
    it’s also right at the bottom of helvellyn so would be a good bet.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hellvellyn advice’ is closed to new replies.