Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Helicoiled cranks
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

My helicoiled cranks arrived today, accompanied by a sticker that states ‘tighte’n pedal every 5 minutes on the first 20 rides or warrenty is invalid.

WTF? I’ll probably use the bike only 20 times in the next 12 months…. 🙁

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Would thread-locking them negate the need to do this? Might be worth asking.

cynic-al
    Free Member

thread locking…when you undo the pedals the coil might come out.

nickjb
    Free Member

Do 20 rides round the block

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure how helicoils work but surely they must be glued in already, or as Al says they’d fall out when you unscrew the pedals?

Nick..I considered that ! Its all a bit vague isn’t it!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Wear the pedal spanner around your neck like a crazy medallion.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

My understanding is that helicoils are held into the repair by the tension of the coil (spring) alone, so cynic-al makes a good point.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I thought it was simply a thread inside a thread kind of arrangement?..didn’t realise there was anything as complicated as tensions to consider?

cynic-al
    Free Member

once the pedal is screwed in I don’t think any tension is relevant, but the helicoil must be a bit bigger than the thread it screw into I guess, otherwise it’d fall out.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Yes and yes. Just a coil that fits into the new tapped hole, but the coil is bigger than the hole, and gets compressed when you screw it in. So it’s hugging the insides of the new thread.

tpbiker
    Free Member

ummm…I’m not sure I understand that but will take your word for it!!

So do I threadlock or not?

And is it easy enough to remove pedals in the conventional fashion?

ta

Frankers
    Free Member

I would have used threadlock in the helicoil, I wouldn’t use threadlock on the bolt

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Helicoiled cranks’ is closed to new replies.