Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Helicoil insert – Aberdeen?
  • aroyalnit
    Free Member

Anyone know a good place around Aberdeen to get a helicoil insert put into the lower IS mount hole on my fork? I’ve managed to strip the thread somehow…

LBS in Banchory can do it, but booked up for nearly a Month 🙁

(I’m not comfortable using a slightly longer screw, or doing the job myself!)

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Very straight forward to do with a kit, as you get the drill bit and tap and parts. They should be an M6 kit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

try dan and the guys at ballater bike station if you dont want to do it your self , perhaps christian at bike therapy in stoney will have a kit.

how ever most bike shops in aberdeen are busy as hell.

oliwb
    Free Member

Rich & James at Cycle Higlands in Ballater are worth a go too….

scruff
    Free Member

I did an old set of forks no problem with a machine mart kit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

we dont even have a machine mart up here … its the third world.

gibbs or cromwells and you’ll pay an arm and leg.

autosave do timeserts – but only in a whole kit of sizes.

dai21t
    Free Member

Any engineering workshop will fit an insert. Only takes a couple of minutes.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Dunno how happy I’d be with that – wouldn’t have thought an IS tab was thick enough to support a helicoil 😕

chrisdw
    Free Member

Do you mean IS??
    They are normally non-threaded holes and the thread is in the adaptor?

Ive done a PM one before with a kit I bought from eBay. Took about 5 mins. Very very easy. Just like THIS ONE

aroyalnit
    Free Member

Ooops – yes, I did mean PM!

Cheers for the responses. I’m starting to think I might MTFU and do it myself…I’ll order the kit (£7.99 is worth a punt), and run to a shop if I wuss out 🙂

shredder
    Free Member

Daves bike shed Fife can do it for you.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I bought a kit for about a fiver off eBay. Dead easy. Literally 5 minutes. My repair was to a HT2 pinch bolt that had stripped. I was apprehensive, but it was no issue at all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

good to know that after a squint at his site dave will drive all the way from fife to aberdeen to do the repair shreader.

shredder
    Free Member

@ trail rat – He will ? didn’t know he would do that just thought it might help. I remember speaking to him once and couldn’t have been more helpful.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

Well, I did it!

Slight delay as I got the thread insert kit, then realised I needed a tap handle that didn’t come with the kit – but took my drill to my forks last night and ended up with a nice new thread and solidly attached brake caliper. All ready for exploring around Inverness this weekend.

Thanks for your help, all 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Helicoil insert – Aberdeen?’ is closed to new replies.