Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Heli-Tape is it worth it?
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

getting a new bike in couple of weeks of course I want it to look as good as new for as long as possible.

So my question is should I invest in some heli-tape type stuff?

If so where should I apply it?

Downtube/chainstay/headtube potential rub points????

rj
    Free Member

Yes, and yes.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Err……yes and yes 🙂

Follow the instructions using hairdrier etc. You can plaster lots of the bike and you will barely see the tape.

I also made an "invisible" chainstay protector by sandwiching a slip of innertube between two layers of HT on the underside of my chainstay.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Give all surfaces a good clean and de-grease first. Warm the tape and frame to at least room temp first helps application.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I bought some from JRA and to be honest it was a right faff to stick on and it wasn't much better than a bit of electrical tape. And after a while it goes nicotine yellow. So I went beck to electrical tape.

carbon337
    Free Member

Anyone fitted to a White bike? Will it go really yellow?

poppa
    Free Member

Stick it on the chainstay, to protect it when the chain hits it. I also stick it anywhere that the gear cables/brake hoses are likely to rub the frame, e.g. the sides of the headtube. Just have a look when you have the bike built and see where you think this might happen.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

I have fitted a load to my white winter training road bike, if applied well its hardly noticable, mine has not gone yellow.

poppa
    Free Member

Do some forum searches to see where you can get it the cheapest though. Just be sure to use the advanced search and set the results to 'anytime'.

toys19
    Free Member

Only use 3m helicopter tape, not had any yellowing here, its excellent stuff.

Driller
    Free Member

The old stuff used to go yellow, all the stuff from JRA is non-yellowing UV resistant now. The new stuff is easier to apply too and not as prone to finger marks etc in my experience.

If you want to protect your bike it's a must.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you want to protect your bike it's a must.

It's OK for large areas, but in other places there are often better solutions…

🙂

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

PP stick up your guide on that again please

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohh, don't think I ever had one… 🙂

Basically

1) Remove cables from mechs or hoses from brake levers
    2) Slide 10-15mm of rubber hose over cable/hose
    3) Refit cable/hose
    4) Thread cable tie round headtube and through rubber hoses
    5) Pull tight, leaving cable tie end where you can't see it, and trim

It has to be said it doesn't work on all bikes. That's my Yeti 575 in the pic and I've done it on MrsPPs Kona Kikapu too. It just depends where the cables are routed.

😀

valleydaddy
    Free Member

thanks for all the advice, like PP's idea.

jsut don't want to make new bike look skanky by having sellotape all over it 😥

Think I will have a go though appreciate the tips and keep them coming 😆

mtbfix

MTBs are for taking out in the real world and getting mucky and beat up. What are you guys like?!

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have got mine from bike tart and its over a year old on my FS (which is baby blue) and you still can't see it unless you are close. it does do a good job of protecting the frame from bangs and accidental bashes into things.

cynic-al
    Free Member

PP won't the cable-tie ultimately scratch the paint beneath it?

You need helicopter tape after all ROFLCOPTER111

Alex

I use some on the top tube where gritty shorts rub the paint off. A bit on the chainstays as I'm very heels in, and around the cable rub points. And then I assume everything else is fair wear and tear.

nockmeister
    Free Member

I use some small split rubber tubes, can't remember the make…far better than helitape or PP solution as they can be removed for cleaning,allow cables to move, don't really wear out

nuke

MTBs are for taking out in the real world and getting mucky and beat up. What are you guys like?!

To me cable rub is inevitable without some protection so 10 mins spent putting some on makes good sense to me. If the frame gets bashed/scratched from riding then so be it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you want a pristine bike do all of the frame. have seen 5yr old bikes – ised and abused look brand new when sold due to lovingly being taped.

won't go yellow if you buy the good stuff. http://www.biketape.co.uk/

hillsplease

Yes. It's top stuff, an the new kit doesn't yellow, unlike the old kit – my Heckler looks like it's getting over smoking – such is the number of patches all over the place.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP won't the cable-tie ultimately scratch the paint beneath it?

Only if it moves and your paint is crap. And if it does, you can't see it anyway! And of course there's nowhere near as much movemnet as a cable rubbing all the time, none at all if you do it up tight enough.
    My Yeti had no mark at all under the cable tie when I checked. 🙂

glenncampbell

Always worth it to look after your bike – you can always take it off again if you don't like it – and your frame will look loads better for it! I didn't do it on my ball burnished Kona and regret it now . . .

ButtonMoon

A word of warning from experience.

Take care when/if removing it as it pulled the laquar off my frame, it is that sticky. I had to apply heat to get the stuff off.

Other than that it's good and yellow.

FOG

I applied some from new to a bike bought in March and to be honest it looks a real mess. I followed all the instructions, hair drier, degreasing,etc. but it looks like it's been on 80 Parkies* a day for 20 years. I am hoping that when I take it off everything will be pristine underneath but there seem to be areas where water has got under the tape.

*Historical note.-Parkies -a vile strong untipped cigarette available in my youth which my dad used to redecorate our white ceiling to a fetching brown

Andituk
    Free Member

I put some on my white Giant and pulled it straight back off, thought it looked ****. That was the JRA stuff back in September.

seanodav
    Free Member

I used this from wiggle, little bit more expensive but very easy to apply and you cant see it.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sports_Cover_Bike_Shield_Frame_Protector_Set/5300003844/

stumpy01

I just use the Lizard Skin clear frame protector squares to stop cable rub.
    They go on best if you use a hair dryer to warm them & the frame up first & once in place really stay put.

I was gonna get some helitape for the new bike, but the downtube (where i was intending to put it) has the gear cables & rear brake hose running down it, so is fairly well protected from dinks.

100thmonkey
    Free Member

I pop to my local Vehicle graphics place and buy the stuff they use to apply graphics to vehicles, that way I get a small cut of the exact colour of the frame and apply where required

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Heli-Tape is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.