Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Heli Coiling Fox Fork Lowers??
  • Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

I have a set of Fox Float 32 140 RL with 15mm axle – post mount

The thread is mashed in one on the bosses – Can this be heli-coiled?

I have mailed Mojo who say they wont/cant do it – Has anyone got experieince of this of know of anywhere I can get this done? Or is it simply not possible and should I just go for new lowers at £132.00

Thanks

wwaswas

have you tried running a tap into it and then usign a longer bolt – ther emay be useable thread below the damaged bit?

RustyMac

Try what wwaswas said, but a local engineering/machining firm should be able to do it or atleast professionally asses wether there is enough material for a successful outcome.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

helicoil is easy to do and does not remove much material

scruff
    Free Member

What about tapping a size up? Are the original M6 bolts?

khani
    Free Member

My fox f29’s have a helicoil fitted and are fine, 😀

neninja
    Free Member

There’s plenty of thickness on the post mounts to have them done. I had the exact same fork heli coiled when I found they were threaded from new. The person on the assembly line had threaded one of them.

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

neninja – Who did it for you?

coatesy
    Free Member

Done a few of these without any problems, shouldn’t be an issue for anybody reasonably competent.

GRAEMEJONES

I did mine no trouble. As said above, there is plenty of metal in there anyway, mine are still holding good after 4 years or so and being on 3 or 4 different bikes. ( f140’s btw )

mk1fan
    Free Member

I’m not suprised Mojo won’t do it but it should be fine. Easy for a competent DIY mechanic to do.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Heli Coiling Fox Fork Lowers??’ is closed to new replies.