Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Heinz Beanz Fridge Pack
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

only discovered it yesterday – has there been a better invention this century?

z1ppy

Eh? What revolutionary about it?
    Non recyclable plastic container (shredding and then using it for balast in boat is not recycling) vs a tin which can be full recycled. Get a tin can cap

carbon337
    Free Member

cold bean sarnies yum

wwaswas

I thought keeping stuff in opened tins was a real no-no as they get contaminated where the lid was cut/pulled off?

TooTall
    Free Member

Or just eat them all?

RustySpanner

People leave beans?

Are they human?
    Do they HAVE a pulse? Oh, hang on……..

GrahamS

I recently discovered milk in bags.

Also genius and a bit greener.

Jamie
    Free Member

Do they HAVE a pulse? Oh, hang on……..

*chortle*

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

LOL @ Rusty

Just not seen them in an easily sealable plastic container before & there are more in there than a tin too

As a plus the container is just the right size to keep workshop based items in once it has been cleaned

spooky_b329

The fridge packs are more expensive, or are when I last looked.

Those milk bags, I gave them a go, thought I was being a numpty when I had a couple where the bags leaked/dribbled. Persisted, then gave up when I found I only had a 50:50 chance of getting a leaky jug or milk spraying out of the cap when piercing the bag. This was using Sainsburys Jugits, are other jugs better? Plus, main design flaw for me is you can’t do the ‘sniff test’ when you can’t remember how long the milks been in the fridge!

Jamie
    Free Member

You pay for the privilege though, as a random look on Jamie Oliver’s favourite supermarket shows:

Heinz Baked Beans Fridge Pack 1kg = £1.93/kg

Heinz Baked Beans In Tomato Sauce 4x415g = £1.50/kg (£1/kg as they are on offer for 2x for £3.50)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why not just buy normal beans and put what you don’t use in a reusable tub?
    Or eat the whole bloody can! Who eats half a can of beans anyway?
    🙂

has there been a better invention this century?

When I first saw it I thought it was the most pointless thing I;d ever seen, to be fair….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Those milk bags, I gave them a go, thought I was being a numpty when I had a couple where the bags leaked/dribbled. Persisted, then gave up when I found I only had a 50:50 chance of getting a leaky jug or milk spraying out of the cap when piercing the bag. This was using Sainsburys Jugits, are other jugs better? Plus, main design flaw for me is you can’t do the ‘sniff test’ when you can’t remember how long the milks been in the fridge!

Yep, me too, no matter how careful you are it’s a lottery if it leaks or not. We’ve given up on them and…..

Also genius and a bit greener.

…..gone back to bottles which are THE original green solution!!!!! 🙂

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

lol when i lived my parents farm id be sent up the road with a jug to get some milk from the storage tank, we lived on a steep hill, more than once, me bike and milk, ended up on the road.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Didn’t know on the price, the misses came home with them.

We are odd in our house, the kids don’t like baked beans so I did find there were a few left lest night and brought them in to work today. Very happy with the result too 🙂

GrahamS

Have to admit we didn’t buy a Jugit thing – we just open the bag and pour it into a normal juice jug thing that fits in our fridge door. 😀

gone back to bottles which are THE original green solution!

Yep – if you live somewhere that has them.

imp999
    Free Member

Branston Beans are the the best!
    They are like Heinz used to taste.
    They NEVER make it into the fridge.

Genuinely salavating right now. Mmmmmmm.

IGMC.

kayak23

only discovered it yesterday – has there been a better invention this century?

Yes, Tupperware…
    People possessed with initiative have been putting their excess beans in them for decades…. 😉

camo16
    Free Member

Yes, Tupperware…
    People possessed with initiative have been putting their excess beans in them for decades….

You have? Dagnabit! 😡

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The best addition to a Heinz bean tin was the ring pull – I’ve been inconvenienced by a lesser brand that requires a tin opener many a time.

emsz
    Free Member

Who eats half a can of beans anyway?

*puts hand up nervously*

tried the milk in a bag thingys, more useless than men 😉

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Hasn’t milk always come in bags?

Jamie
    Free Member

Hasn’t milk always come in bags?

Pull the udder one.

5lab

when I was in Guatemala\Belize, a lot of the water came like this

small bags, holding maybe 250ml of water, you just bit through the corner and drank. Total waste is tiny compared to a plastic water bottle, and you could fit far more in a given container as there is no room wasted by air.

Cougar

I recently discovered milk in bags.

So did I. Then I discovered shortly afterwards that, jugs aside, it’s more expensive to buy a bag of milk than a carton. For that reason, I’m oot.

spooky_b329

Someone mentioned the milkman. They came knocking recently, they were charging something like a £1 a pint. Plus the delivery driver thinks its OK to drive the wrong way down one way streets, you don’t see the post/courier vans doing that!

GrahamS

I discovered shortly afterwards that, jugs aside, it’s more expensive to buy a bag of milk than a carton

Depend what quantities you buy in.

At 2 pints the bag is cheaper:

Sainsbury’s 2 Pint bag of semi-skimmed = 85p
    Sainsbury’s 2 Pint carton of semi-skimmed = 89p

But if you step up to 4 pints then carton is cheaper:

2 x 2 pint bags = £1.70
    4 pint carton = £1.49

rootes1

…..gone back to bottles which are THE original green solution!!!!!

not these days. The bottle now are so thin compared to old that they only undertake 1/2 the wash/refills that milk bottle of old did. Thye are just not as durable.

they have been thinned to save weight (transport, materials and ease of use) to compete with cartons and plastic bottles..

z1ppy

wwaswas – Member
    I thought keeping stuff in opened tins was a real no-no as they get contaminated where the lid was cut/pulled off?

How is it touching part the lid than isn’t coated with sealing laquer, and now long are you thinking of leaving it in the tin? They still gunna go mouldy once the seal has been broken (plastic container or not).
    TBH there more worries about the long term use of tin as storage but we’ve lived the past 100 years using them and not seeing these long term effects, so (I) don’t worry about it (neither do the tin manufacturers..).

As for milk in a bag, I saw an article on it the other day, it suggested there a 2p saving per carton/bag (I forget the size) and you still had to buy the £4-5 jug, and you can’t check the milk freshness easily (without pouring some out). I’ve never seen any in the milk isle @ our local supermarket either.. I’ll look closer next time I’m there, interesting idea though.

wwaswas

Quick Google reveals;

No when you open a tin a chemical reaction begins with air and the food is then contaminated by the oxidisation from the inside of the can and it stats with in 2 hours. Keeping food in a tin in the fridge is a serious misdemeanour in a professional kitchen when the Environmental Health Officers check and visit

z1ppy

cause we all have professional kitchens, TBH never heard of that before and it ain’t gunna stop me using the ‘tin caps’ for the day or 2 you keep a can open for.
    It also doesn’t really explain how oxidization can occur on a laquered can either (which they all are).
    I would ask a professionals opinion, but I got outsourced from the company..

wwaswas
    z1ppy

Opps in 2 years I’ve had memory lapse, or just decided the risk was overstated and I happy to ignore it. Though as per my reply it ain’t cut and shut..

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/open-tin-cans-in-the-fridge#post-349007

andyl
    Free Member

Tins are one of those ‘old’ inventions that is better than the modern alternatives. Just like nice fresh milk in a glass bottle every day with a recyclable foil cap. Can you recycle the cap on plastic bottles?

Oh and for a beanie bargain try Costco – 24 normal size cans for £8.99 and no VAT 😀

GrahamS

I’ve never seen any in the milk isle @ our local supermarket either

Sainsburys only AFAIK.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Heinz Beanz Fridge Pack’ is closed to new replies.