Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hedge height
  • jedi

How high can hedge be. Hedge at front of garden is 6ft but the garden slopes down to the side of house between neighbour and us. They say too high. Where do we stand?

Inbred456
    Free Member

I don’t think anybody has a right to light regarding hedges and boundaries. Put yourself in your neighbors shoes and agree a reasonable height to keep good neighbourly relations. Not worth the hassle falling out over a hedge.

z1ppy

Oh yes they do
    (Have right to light)
    Seemingly old document but still on theGov site, there’s a Section in the document specifically about slopes & hedges. Can’t believe my old neighbor didnt complain about the leylandi trees, already there, when I bought the house (I chopped them all down)

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s quite a lot on the .gov website if you want to go through it. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/high-hedges . That said no need to get all legal if you can be a good neighbour

jedi

They have always been trimmed to the same height

kayak23

They say too high. Where do we stand?

Behind the hedge so they can’t see you.

stevextc
    Free Member

They say too high. Where do we stand?

It’s not going to get any better by itself…… quite the opposite.

The longer you leave it the harder it will be for most hedges… and its no longer new growth after a winter but becomes gnarly .. then cutting back just exposes the woody part

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Check your house deeds, ours has a covenant about border hedges/fences not being higher than 5ft (though by casual agreement our neighbours have built the Berlin Wall at 6ft).

jedi

its my girlfriends barn. the garden dips about 3ft near the barn so sould they be cut 6ft to follow the terrain ? its never been an issue before

jam-bo

agree a reasonable height to keep good neighbourly relations. Not worth the hassle falling out over a hedge.

This.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Realistically anything over 6′ is fairly pointless unless you’re blocking out a particular view (either in or out).

Higher it is = harder to maintain.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    Where do we stand?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hedge height’ is closed to new replies.