Heckler,Tracer or 5 spot or ??

Home Forum Bike Forum Heckler,Tracer or 5 spot or ??

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Heckler,Tracer or 5 spot or ??
  • beerbelly

Blur LT had one for 2 yrs fantastic bike

Ive had a BLT for over two years and apart from the bearings not lasting to long and the rear shock being replaced twice its been good.But want somethng more reliable oh and nicer looking.

0pt1cal

I preferred the handling & climbing ability of the Tracer VP over the Blur LT and the Heckler is not in the same league. I would like more time on a Turner 5 Spot, but had a shot one one today and was impressed…plus it looks great…..I ride my Tracer VP in Scottish Highlands, Trail Centres and love it.

cynic-al

not ridden the other two but have recently bought another Heckler, which I think climbs as well if not better than my Nomad which will be up for sale soon.

heihei

Got one of the new DW 5-Spots and love it. Climbs beautifully even with a set of Fox 36 Floats, in part due to the suspension design being very “taught” under pedalling.

I’m wanting a good tough (but not lardy) full susser and been thinking of either a Santa Cruz Heckler, Intense Tracer or Turner 5 spot.Most of my riding is in the Peak District so it needs to be a good climber too.So does anyone have any thoughts? also any photos of the abover bikes and builds would be great.
    Cheers.

I’m thinking that the Heckler is the most reliable when it comes down to bearing life. Whats the tyre clearance like on the Tracer? will it cope with 2.35 Kendas? The older Blur lt isnt too good with big tyres imo.

0pt1cal

I’m running 2.35 minions..but could probably use 2.5’s…I would argue that if you use the bike you will replace bearings at similar intervals (my experience when running a Heckler and Blur 4X)…the advantage of the new VPP2 and Turners is the have grease ports which should prolong life.

heihei

Turners use grease ports and bushings rather than bearings. They last forever, even in UK winter conditions.

johnners

Turners use grease ports and bushings rather than bearings. They last forever, even in UK winter conditions

I think you’re exaggerating. I’ve replaced bushes on a Turner so “forever” seems a bit hyperbolic. They do last quite well though.

daveh

I’d say a 06 Heckler with coil DHX5, black paint, in large, from my garage in Sheffield, at a reasonable price….!

rep341

What about the l;apierres?
    I have a zesty which is a great pedal, even better on the downs when it gets a bit “interesting”!

#
    daveh – Member

I’d say a 06 Heckler with coil DHX5, black paint, in large, from my garage in Sheffield, at a reasonable price….!
    Posted 37 minutes ago # Report-Post

And I’d say “please tell me more…” (I’m possibly in the market for an older Heckler at the moment, especially at a good price…)

mildred
    shiny

Had all three..
    Heckler heavy and not very good suspension IMO
    Tracer – nice bike but paint finish is utter sh**e
    New DW Turner – awesome, climbs very well, downhill is superb but expensive initial outlay…
    Have also rcently had a yeti 575 – worst bike I have owned in last 8 years…
    Test ride all and then decide
    cheers
    shiny

Premier Icon pedalhead
    Subscriber

Coming up for 4 years here on original Turner bushings/zerks & there’s no play whatsoever. I do look after them with regular grease injections, but that takes all of about 30 seconds before a ride. The adjustable geometry on the Tracer VP looks interesting though, and I understand VPP2 is meant to pedal a lot better in the granny than the first gen. With SC now fitting zerks as well, it’s definitely worth a ride I reckon.

daveh

And I’d say “please tell me more…” (I’m possibly in the market for an older Heckler at the moment, especially at a good price…)

What would you like to know? I’ve a Marin Rocky Ridge, the Heckler and recently have got into road biking = too many bikes! The Heckler is too much bike for what I ride really and the components on the Marin are getting quite tired. I thought I’d stip the nice stuff from the Heckler to refresh the Marin, then sell the Heckler frame as it wouldn’t be of much use! Were you after a bike or frame?

I guess its all down to money really,seams that most Tracers are fitted with Fox 36’s so the frame fork n headset your looking at almost three grand !!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

A mate of mine has a heckler, very nice it is, one common comment is that the swingarm is quite broad so some people catch their heels on it… So one to check for in a test ride ideally.

Premier Icon giantjason
    Subscriber

have you given any thought to a Ellsworth Epiphany or Moment?

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

Is the Turner as ‘burly’ as the Heckler? I’ve been tempted by one but get the impression they’re not as tough. Would they take anything the Heckler would? Not that I huck of 20ft drops or anything…

bomberman

I’ve got a mk2 heckler and it’s a lot of fun and a great climber, although it dosen’t excell in this particular area. it’s better at twisty turny singletrack and descents. a real trail rider’s bike. i managed to get mine down to 28.2 pounds and there’s room to drop another 2 lb if i had the money and wanted to sacrifice a bit of strength on lightweigh gear.

Test-rode a lapierre zesty however and it climbed like a mountain goat in comparison and (probably due to updated suspension) descended a lot better too. and this was at stainburn on the descent-line trail. It seems to squat back into its travel on the climbs and pins the rear wheel to the trail. I can’t speak for the new heckler because i haven’t tried one but the zesty is a seriously good bike and well worth a test-ride

scruff

eh up daisy. Ive been riding my heckler now for a while and its not broke, suspension is great but its still got single pivot limitations, only changed bearings once. Buy one just to see how strong they really are.

bomberman

They are a lot of fun. I’d be interested to know what the limitations of a single pivot are, exactly.

LabMonkey

I have a Tracer VP – an absolutely fanatstic ride!

I thought I wouldn’t really use the adjustable travel (from 5.5 to 6″) option at all, BUT each setting gives the bike a very different ride. The 5.5″ setting is very taught and climbs well, stable in the corners and descends as well as most mid level DH bikes I have ridden. The 6″ setting is something else, the whole back end feels more active, the bike sits back more as the angles slacken, it climbs OK but man, does it rip round corners, endless grip and downhill, well – WOW!

juiced

i have a heckler and love it. old shape matched it with pikes.

juiced

i’ve ridden mine at cwmcran downhill and chicksands and have never felt single pivot limitations.

robidoo

Quote daveh – Member
    I’d say a 06 Heckler with coil DHX5, black paint, in large, from my garage in Sheffield, at a reasonable price….

How much were you thinking for the Heckler frame Dave?
    If you don’t want to say on here I could give you my e-mail addy.

What would you like to know? I’ve a Marin Rocky Ridge, the Heckler and recently have got into road biking = too many bikes! The Heckler is too much bike for what I ride really and the components on the Marin are getting quite tired. I thought I’d stip the nice stuff from the Heckler to refresh the Marin, then sell the Heckler frame as it wouldn’t be of much use! Were you after a bike or frame?

Just after frame and possibly forks, depending on price and forks – I’m probably gonna stick my Revs on it for the time being, and upgrade to Pikes / new wheels in a month or so. How are the bearings? Has the shock being serviced recently? And most importantly, what are you after for it? I’m only in Hull so I could pop over to Sheffield and have a lookie some time.

willslater[at]gmail[dot]com if you want to avoid the thread hijack 🙂

daveh

I’m a bit out of touch with prices, I’m sure I saw a couple go for £450 recently on Ebay but can’t find them anymore. Frame was purchased new from Stif in March 07 (I’ve still got the receipt). Functionally great, no dings, rubs or damage, pivot serviced over winter (a couple of rides ago lol!) but as its a Santa Cruz its covered in light scuffs. Crane Creek S8 headset.

daveh

Fair point about thread hijack, switching to mail, I’ll take some piccys tomorrow and send them to you both. Can’t see your e-mail btw Robidoo.

Cool cheers, will look forward to pics 🙂

robidoo

Dave feel free to mail me pics and a ball park price to robidoo1@hotmail.co.uk
    I have to sell one of my bikes first so let me know if flyingmonkeycorps doesn’t buy it.
    Cheers Rob.

dickie

I’d recommend a Heckler with Pikes, love mine. Rides light, loads of mud clearance even with a 2.35 rear tyre, single pivot simple. Just a simple good to ride up or down bike, my favourite bike to date.

Do you get much bob when climbing on the Heckler? I’m a big lad and was wondering if a coil shock is better than the air can?

Scruff hows things? not bumped into you in the Peak for a while..

dickie

I’m 5’11” on a large Heckler with RP23 – don’t use it with Propedal. If you get a Heckler with RP23, get a shock with a standard air can rather than the large can as it blows through its travel too quickly.

Premier Icon johnikgriff
    Subscriber

I was looking for something similar 5 months ago and went for the new Titus El Guapo. Very pleased with mine. Built her up with full XTR, mavic SX wheels and Lyrik coil and DHX5 as coils work better for my weight(I’m over 14.5 stone). Great up hill and fantastic down. I had an Ellsworth Moment before, which is an awsome bike, but after swapping the RP23 for the pushed DHX5, I’d say this was better everywhere. Also has a very tough finish and is (IMO) a sexy frame (unlike the ugly DW 5 spot, IMO). This isn’t mine by the way.

Coasting

Another bike worth consideration is the new Hemlock.Ive just bought a frame and at this stage im very impressed.

Might have missed the boat, and i might get flamed for posting the frame again but how about something different?

Chumba VF2, 5″ travel, carbon rear end and very stiff laterally. And the frames are £1299 at the moment 🙂

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3414/3575862769_3c42fa5f9d.jpg[/img]

Olly

a vote for a trance X here.

ive got a trance, pedals like a dream, and floats down.
    i bought mine for moving to the peaks 🙂

neowm

cynic-al

**** me that Titus is gopping.

May surprise you si but I like the Chumba

that Titus is indeed horrific – worse than the new DW turners.

But Form Follows function I guess!

ive got an 08 5spot and ride in the peaks never ridden the others but for me its the perfect bike. not the quickest up the hills but more than makes up for it going down, plus nylon bushes are far better for the grit

cynic-al

scienceofficer-no function at all in those hideous bent tubes

Of course there is.

They’re there to make other bikes looks really good!
    :mrgreen:

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Heckler,Tracer or 5 spot or ??’ is closed to new replies.