Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Hebrides, Islands on the Edge…
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Awesome or what?

scotroutes

Yes, yes they are.

matt_outandabout

Loving it. (again)

epicyclo

scotroutes
    nedrapier

yup. not me, not mine, but I’ve spent a great 2 weeks doing something similar.

weare138
    Free Member

That beach near the end looked beautiful, name? The big house near a beach looked fantastic!

nedrapier

again, not me, not mine, but spent some of the same 2 weeks doing this:

oldest exposed rock in the world, is yer Lewisian Gneiss

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

just come back from Islay & am really looking forward to South Uist next year!

athgray
    Free Member

Never been to the Outer Hebrides. Mull is great and the Black Cuillin on Skye is one of the most awe inspiring sights anywhere in the country. Not the Hebrides, but Orkney is a terrific place. Such a rich history and Scapa Flow has such an otherworldly feel about it. Itching to get back and try some diving there!

peterfile
    Free Member

we tend to head that direction every few weeks (off up next weekend for 5 days). never loses its magic. in fact, every time i come back i want to return even more than the last time!

geoffj

The cinematography is excellent, but the narration is shocking. Random sentences and Ewen McGregor seems to have lost all but one emotion.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Just come back from a week on Lewis/Harris. OK the beaches are nice but then again there are good beaches on the mainland. Overall I found the island disappointing with nothing there that can’t be found on the mainland- and this is from a Scotsman who loves the Highlands. Skye however is a different matter entirely.

I’d be interested to know what the public spending is per head of population in Lewis/Harris. New schools everywhere, good roads, a hospital and amazingly low subsidised ferry prices compared to say crossing the channel.

Did see a great gig by Van Morrison while I was there- how random is that?

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought how cool it would be to have a duathlon there. Run, swim, run, swim your way across al those pools and inlets.

scotroutes

There’s still time to enter!

St Mary’s Standard Triathlon & Aquabike

theblackmount
    Free Member

>OK the beaches are nice but then again there are good beaches on the mainland. <

Each to his own I guess.

Can’t think of any beaches on the mainland to rival Luskintyre and Huisinis. And when the sun comes out there is something about the light / seascape that is simply untouchable. Some rather good mtb and road riding too. Lewis I wouldn’t disagree with you on. Mixed views on Skye – fantastic mountains obviously but crap beaches (mostly)and some very depressing wee villages.

Aye, MacGregors dulcit tones were really getting on my t1ts second time around and they went a bit overboard on the Seabirds.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Best holiday ever on North Uist last June (while the rest of Britain got a soaking)

molgrips
    Free Member

That adventure race looks fantastic.. bit short notice tho.

back2basics
    Free Member

just come back from 2.5 weeks there.

loved everywhere except Lewis and Stornoway,
    although sick for 2 weeks of the holiday, walks in the wildflower meadows were superb and the beaches were great. plenty of history to visit too, and walking on harris.

In the 2nd week though (Harris) the place was heaving with Motorhomes, and they took up the campsites and the wild camping places too. hard to find anywhere without crowds of motorhomes.
    most places were full and to be honest was not impressed with the Harris campsites which could not seem to cope.

Barra/Uist/Benbec. were all lovelly and campsites were 12quid for a wee camper with brand new shower/toilet blocks/fridge/kettles…

i’d certainly go back as a cycle tourist but miss out lewis.

Pyro

You’ll be fine Molgrips. Give it a whirl!

(PS – glad you like the look of it, those are my photos on The Heb site… )

BikePawl
    Free Member

The Great Arch on Pabbay

For an idea of scale it’s a 100m abseil down the left hand side to climb Prophecy of Drowning

theblackmount
    Free Member

>In the 2nd week though (Harris) the place was heaving with Motorhomes, and they took up the campsites and the wild camping places too. hard to find anywhere without crowds of motorhomes.
    most places were full and to be honest was not impressed with the Harris campsites which could not seem to cope.<

Interesting when I was last there c 15 years ago I cant recollect seeing any. This became a bit of an issue on Tiree. Place became besieged by Campers turning up loaded to the gunwhales with fuel and food / driving all over the machair to wild camping spots / basically contributing very little to the local economy. Far more controlled now, they have to register and pay on arrival and the camp spots are controlled.

back2basics
    Free Member

…oh and this has the best coffee on all of the islands.
    they even list the single-origin coffee’s each day that they use!

morven

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ll be fine Molgrips. Give it a whirl!

They focus less on the running, so I’d not worry about fitness, more vacation time and money!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I thought McGregors voice fits in nicely with the (help needed with a word!) ‘seriousness’ of the programme, Pufflins being eaten by Skuas, Red Throated Divers threatened by cousins, seal pups (almost) drowning, storms etc etc. It’s well titled that’s for sure. Everything that lives out there is ‘living on the edge’
    I might not go back Islay though, the malts are just tooo tempting & cost me a bloody fortune last month!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Hebrides, Islands on the Edge…’ is closed to new replies.