• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hebden Bridge or Todmorden?
  • bikelash
    Free Member

Hello! I’m new to posting on this forum but I have been reading incognito for some time.

I know that STW is based in Tod, so thought it would be a good starting point for asking my question of Todmorden or Hebden Bridge?

I’m planning on moving from Manchester as I hate cities, so I’m leaving all my mates behind to head north. I know they wont bother visit me that often, so which place is friendliest for meeting new people?

I ride xc as regularly as I can, also like cross country running, book groups, wine, eating, music of all sorts, and a dabble into politics. Are there organised bike rides suitable for a leisure paced rider? I’ve been riding for years in the Peaks but I’m not particularly strong. Anyone know if there are any leisure running groups either? By the looks of things Todmorden is cheaper. Does it have a good social scene like HB? I’m planning on buying a house in a year or two as well, so I’m evaluating how the future looks for these places too. What’s the traffic like getting to the motorways from both? I have to be on the road a couple of days a week when I’m not working from home.

Oh, and I’m a woman in my early thirties, who’s not a lesbian but certainly wouldn’t mind living in amongst that community.

Thanks very much for your help!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Oh, and I’m a woman in my early thirties, who’s not a lesbian”

Are you a witch then? Lots of witches in that area! 😯

Frodo

Did the same a few years back except I moved to New Mills, ticks all the boxes though (As long as you avoid the A6, but then the new link road is back on!)

binners

If you cut your hair short and get some dungarees, maybe put some stickers in your window about saving whales ‘n stuff, you’ll fit in fine in Hebdon 😀

The riding anywhere round there is fab, but every one starts with a gert big ****-off climb!

Have you considered the more civilised side of the border? We recently moved to Ramsbottom from Manchester and its bloody great!

headfirst
    Free Member

Oh, and I’m a woman in my early thirties, who’s not a lesbian but certainly wouldn’t mind living in amongst that community.

Hebden Bridge then.

bikelash
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies!

FunkyDunc – I do have long hair, but no broomstick, and I’m pretty sh*te at the spells. So no, no witchcraft here.

Frodo – yep, I lived out in the peaks for a bit not far from New Mills, but I fancy something a bit wilder. Might move back there in the future though.

Binners – yeah I heard Ramsbottom has some good foodie spots. It’s a bit lacking in trains though, isn’t it? I’d still like to have a train station in the village so I can go out in Manchester and have a drink once in a while. Definitely wont be cutting the hair and donning a set of dungarees though.

Headfirst – that comment of mine was meant to mean – I don’t care whether I’m surrounded by lesbians or not. Doesn’t bother me.

Duggan

There was an article in the guardian at the weekend about living in Saddleworth which might tick a few boxes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/dec/09/lets-move-to-saddleworth-greater-manchester?newsfeed=true

Though I appreciate this doesn’t actually answer your original question.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I know people who run for Tod Harriers – always seems to be a really friendly running club.

bikelash
    Free Member

Hi Duggan, yeah I saw that. Saddleworth is dead posh though, and I’m not. It’s a mix of footballers and rich old Tory folk. It is really pretty though – I’ve ridden around there a few times.

IHN

This thread is useless without pics 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Bikelash where are you originally from?

binners

Bikelash – we do have a station. But it only runs at weekends and the trains all look like this

We were on it on Saturday. Train into Bury, then jump on the Merto into Manchester 😀

hora
    Free Member

Stalyvegas for the win.

bikelash
    Free Member

Ah cool! Yeah that doesn’t sound like too much of a mission. Love steam trains.

Hora I’m originally from the middle of nowhere in Ireland. I’m not going back there – it’s a third world country these days. Are you from Stalyvegas? I quite like the pub in the train station. That’s about it though.

Tod Harriers sounds good. I’ll check them out.

hora
    Free Member

I quite like the pub in the train station

That was one of my locals.

elaineanne
    Free Member

Binners spell the name right will you for godsake its sooooo annoying !!!!!!! you cant spell it as Hebdon…… 😯 tho peole pronounce it that way but the correct spelling is Hebden ….capish matey 😉 :mrgreen:

elaineanne
    Free Member

oh rollax sorry i spelt people wrong…ya no wot i mean… 😉

Bikelash : welcome…. i say if you ahve been riding the peaks for years surely you must be strong as an ox…nope ? 😉
    Todmorden and Hebden are two totally different towns…..very wacky is Hebden but i love the area….
    Todmorden you gotta love the hills amazing…but the people here are of Alien origin.. we have many sightings and abductions from the walien species…..its true be warned… 😉

bikelash
    Free Member

Yeah I wish I was as strong as an ox Elaine Anne – but nope, too much booze and pies and work have weakened me.

Aliens? Are we talking…

or

??

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It all depends really, if you can count to twelve when you take your socks off you’ll fit in well in Todmorden… 😉

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Gimme Six! 😆

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Hi Duggan, yeah I saw that. Saddleworth is dead posh though, and I’m not. It’s a mix of footballers and rich old Tory folk. It is really pretty though – I’ve ridden around there a few times.

I live near there, its being gradually taken over by Guardian wearers, they will eventually take over and you can then kiss goodbye to any kind of “character”.

hora
    Free Member

Hebden the only place in England where I’ve been told three that ‘the person is a local and I’m not from round there’.

Eh? Where England **** off! Luckily all 3 times the people were over 50 and misplaced arrogance. Next time I’ll reply ‘your right I’m not a dolely who pretends to be an artist living a alternative lifestyle’.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hebden Bridge or Todmorden?’ is closed to new replies.