Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Heavy rain on your day(s) off. What do you do?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Going to tidy the garage and wash the bikes.

Fettle and add mudguards.

Kick the turbo trainer.

Get ready for tomorrow’s freezing ride in the dry I hope!

ton

get wrapped up and go for a ride, because maybe one day, you wont be in good enough health to do so.
    and you will sit a cry to yourself thinking about missed opportunities.

and then go to the pub. 😀

RoterStern
    Free Member

Get out on the bike. It’s only water. ?

weeksy

Setting zwift up for a mate

Putting new tyre on my boys islabike

Zwifting for 90 min

New bar tape on turbo bike

Burgers and beer!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Race Cyclocross……. thread done

cloudnine
    Free Member

Make peace with the weather. MTFU. Just go out in it..

mattbee

Walk dog, farmers market with the Mrs then decide whether to have lunch in the Greyhound or the Bankes Arms in Corfe. Prob finish up snoozing in caravan for rest of afternoon.
    Luckily yesterday’s weather was ace so we got a great ride in.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Eat. Watch Tv & get in some mastication.
    I wont be leaving the house today.

mccett
    Free Member

Between shifts and child care I get one day off in 8 to do everything whether that’s gardening or fixing bikes, i ride whatever the weather now.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Do something else. Bikes are good but so are many other things.

yossarian
    Free Member

Taking the youngest to the BMX track for training this morning. His attitude to rain/cold is one of contempt.

Then drying out/defrosting on the sofa for the rest of the day

olly2097
    Free Member

Diy. So much to do.

Play with the boy.

lucky7500

Do anything that I enjoy really, but with a coat on.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

ton – Member
    get wrapped up and go for a ride, because maybe one day, you wont be in good enough health to do so.
    and you will sit a cry to yourself thinking about missed opportunities.
    and then go to the pub.

That’s deep. And yes you opened my eyes Ton.

And the MTFU comments.

Will service and test the bikes. Now the rain stopped. No excuses.

I f love this forum!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Back to bed 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The forecast was 40mm with a severe weather warning, so I had a few beers last night, didn’t set an alarm and kicked back. No rain, and no bike put together… bit of a wasted day really.
    Though as always it could have been worse
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-12/australia-south-africa-second-test-day-one/8020502
    This was going on across the river, possibly a few others who wished it had rained…

MoreCashThanDash

Run kids go and from music.

Some shopping in between.

Take Jnr to Decathlon as he’s grown out of his warm cycling kit. And he wants to ride at Hicks Lodge tomorrow.

Check bikes for tomorrow.

Cook roast dinner for when wife and daughter get back from a Guide thing this afternoon.

Avoid X Strictly Come Factor Dancing sorting out stuff for Scouts.

Sleep.

jekkyl

dinner out with the family at the pub!
    TV. Computer games.
    on the way back from Aldi I saw 2 roadies in full wet gear going on. Thought of:

Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

jam-bo

Go kayaking.

zippykona

I work Saturdays which is good.
    There won’t be many customers which is bad.
    Luckily yesterday was crazy busy.

garage-dweller

Today I am sitting home with a cold and bad chest that is sadly eclipsed by the one my seven year old has. Sat on the sofa with him.

Normally with him…up to “quite rubbish” means do what we were going to do anyway but wearing waterproofs.

Normally really awful would be model trains, Lego or a trip to an aeroplane /flying museum (3 within an hour) or aquarium.

BadlyWiredDog

Run. Off road. Over the tops. For a coupe of hours or so. Drink coffee. Eat cake. Enjoy not cleaning a grit-encrusted bike. Feel smug.

yunki
    Free Member

get out on the bike, it’s the only time my bikes get a wash

belugabob
    Free Member

Start a new bike build…

windyg
    Free Member

Was supposed to be working, had a lie in, swapped wheels over on one of the MTB’s, cleaned out the workshop, lit the incinerator.
    Going to fix the fork mount in the van and will get ready for tomorrows ride.

Battlefield 1 on PS4 for the rest of the day.

Metasequoia

ride

mattjg
    Free Member

Zwift.

Starting a ride in the rain is horrible and nowadays I wear glasses so riding in the rain’s not really viable anyway.

Let it go, there will be other days.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Something indoors!

My approach to this situation, on work days and days off, changed somewhat almost three years ago. I ignored the weather warnings and ended up with a 10-day holiday in Southampton General over Xmas, two separate operations and niggles to deal with most days since.

PJay
    Free Member

I do ride in the rain (and all sorts of weathers) but I do give it a miss if it’s really heavy. In the end I cycle predominately for pleasure so draw the line when the weather would make me miserable. I can usually find something else to do.

On a related issue, I much prefer setting of in the dry knowing that it’s going to rain later (and carrying on through the rain) than I do setting off in the rain in the first place..

dannyh
    Free Member

Don waterproofs and get out and ride. This slippery and wet stuff has only just started, so the novelty hasn’t worn off yet.

I went out on my usual ride this morning in the pissing rain. Cut a couple of sloppy rutted turns really nicely and was chuffed for a bit. Then settled into “at least I’m not vegged in front of Saturday kitchen” and reveling in being one of the few people out and about. Then had a comedy crash dicking about doing skids on a grassy bit. Then had a hot shower, a pint of tea and a big bowl of soup. All before midday.

The grind loses its novelty for me in about late Feb. Up until Christmas it is usually still quite ‘new’. After Christmas it is about getting out there and undoing the excess. The no mans land of late Feb and March is when I get a bit bored of mud, but with any luck we’ll have a proper winter this year and I’ll get to ride in some snow or iron hard frosty trails with crunchy puddles.

Embrace it, we live in a great place for riding mountain bikes, even in the midlands(!)

senorj

We are staying in all day today. Sod it.
    Busy week,housework done ,so now sofa surfing ,playing with toys and bubbleguppys on Netflix .
    If I wasn’t daddy day care ,I would of course ,be bad ass!

theotherjonv

I’ve just ended up taking my daughter iceskating.

I love doing stuff with my daughter. But I **** hate iceskating.

mcnultycop

I bought a new (to me) singleseed rigid 29er but the pedals I ordered haven’t arrived so I’ve not tried it yet.

I then fixed last weeks puncture on the fatty (pulled thorn out at home at the end of the ride), I then swapped the Tektros for my old XT brakes and pulled about 0.5kg of gunk out of the jockey wheels. I then gave it a clean and lube and got back to talking about bikes on the internet.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I love doing stuff with my daughter. But I **** hate iceskating.

That only means one thing.
    You can’t skate. 😉

fergal
    Free Member

Unless the rain is biblical, take a teaspoon of cement and harden the **** up.

fergal
    Free Member

PS. Housework! grow a pair.

MoreCashThanDash

I spent half an hour in the rain this morning entertaining the neighbours trying to catch a friend’s escaped rabbit. More intense exercise than I’d have got riding.

blooddonor
    Free Member

Waterproofs on, go digging,simples!

maxtorque

Stay in bed and day dream about Rachel Riley….. 😆

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Heavy rain on your day off?

Write a new verse for Alannis’ Ironic…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Heavy rain on your day(s) off. What do you do?’ is closed to new replies.