• This topic has 40 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Heavy lads that ride small FS bikes ? Frame blowing through travel
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Is there anyone one else thats on the large size (weight wise ) that rides a small framed FS frame ??
    Reason for asking is .. im 15 stone with all my ridng gear on .. camelbac etc , but need a small frame .. as im short !
    Just bought myself a new frame and its blowing through the travel way too easy and thats with over 250+ lb in the rear shock ..
    Have posted on another frame specific forum and some say that due to the leverage ratios and shock length combined with my weight and a small frame its a no go !, and its just something that i`ll have to put up with !
    anyone else ?

LoCo
    Free Member

what's the frame and shock ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Frame size wouldn't really have anything to do with it, but if the stroke length is short relative to the travel then you'll have challenges getting enough pressure in an air can to support your weight, prevent it blowing through the travel and not feel like you're riding a hard tail.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

[list]Frames a Titus Motolite 09 model … 5" travel
    shocks a fox rp23
    small ML uses a 6.5 X 1.5 shock and and 3.33:1 leverage ratio
    Starting to look like i`ll have a small motolite for sale very shortly !

soobalias
    Free Member

that is quite a leverage ratio.
    what pressure is the shock rated to, is the sag set correctly.

nowt to do with the frame size really.

jedi

frame size dont matter.
    call tftuned for set up adivce

mildred

On my Helius I have to put vastly different air pressures in the Float shock, depending on which travel setting it is set. The longer the travel setting the higher the pressure. However, regardless of how much air is in it (about 250psi for the 200mm setting), if I set the sag correctly then the suspension works correctly.

Be aware that some frame/suspension designs don't work that well with high volume shocks – the Fox Dhx 5 having a particularly bad reputation for blowing through the midstroke.

As said above, the frame size has nothing to do with it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You can improve matters a lot by putting a coil shock on to replace the air can, assuming you can get one in that config.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Shox rated to 300lb .. and it takes all that and still get more sag than id like !

soobalias
    Free Member

dont want this to sound a silly question, but how much sag would you like?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    frame size dont matter.
    call tftuned for set up adivce

already have
    Got a email back from them today , to say its something i`ll have to put up with !! .. even if the shock was pushd , it wouldnt help matters they said !

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

[/quote]
    SOOBalias – Member
    dont want this to sound a silly question, but how much sag would you like?

isnt it something like 25 % … was still getting more than that at full pressure

richc
    Free Member

the leverage ratio means that you are buggered on that frame, it was designed to have a high leverage ratio to optimise it for smaller/lighter riders.

LoCo
    Free Member

what's the frame and shock? out of interest must have a pretty high leverage ratio to not allow the shock to deal with a 15 stone rider.

LoCo
    Free Member

damn sorry computer playing silly beggars 😳

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

richc – Member
    the leverage ratio means that you are buggered on that frame, it was designed to have a high leverage ratio to optimise it for smaller/lighter riders.

Thats my thoughts …. looks like my dream frame will be in the classifieds by the weekend then !! … Total waste of money

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Could always lose loads of weight !!! .. but wheres the fun in that ??
    Would rather sell the frame to be honest 😀

vinnyeh

can't you run it in 4" travel setting- that'll lower the ratio to 2.66 to 1

geetee1972
    Free Member

I am guessing then that the frame has a different stroke length than larger sizes, which would mean that the comments (mine included) about the frame size not being relevant, are wrong.

If you need something small, with adjustable travel, horst link and quality, then Nicolai would be the way to go.

LoCo
    Free Member

or a five! 😯

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member
    can't you run it in 4" travel setting- that'll lower the ratio to 2.66 to 1

Ill try it in 4" , but thats not what i bought it for

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    I am guessing then that the frame has a different stroke length than larger sizes, which would mean that the comments (mine included) about the frame size not being relevant, are wrong.

If you need something small, with adjustable travel, horst link and quality, then Nicolai would be the way to go.

Yeah , the small and xtra small run shorter stroke shocks .. hence the higher ratio !
    looks like im totally buggered

brant
    Free Member

You can improve matters a lot by putting a coil shock on to replace the air can, assuming you can get one in that config.

Not really going to help much. An air shock tends to help bikes that dive through the travel, as a smaller volume air can (not a high volume one) ramps up at the end which would be a benefit here.

The titus motolite 05 I can see on linkage is a bit odd in that it's falling rate to start with (sags a long way), then gets progressive towards the end of the travel. Looks like good candidate for an air shock.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Like I'm going to disagree with Brant Richards.

richc
    Free Member

early Titus'es had 2 shock mount holes one for coil shocks and one for air, to allow the linkage to be tuned for the shock being used.

vinnyeh

early Titus'es had 2 shock mount holes one for coil shocks and one for air, to allow the linkage to be tuned for the shock being used.

Never heard of this before, and not sure why it would be necessary- surely you'd just tune the shock appropriately? I thought the two holes were to change the travel (they were on the motolite I had).

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Maybe a manitou 4 way air rear shock. got one for sale

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

This is a bit extreme, but you could get the front shock mounting moved forward to get a longer shock in. Or maybe a new second mounting on the downtube?

I don't know anything about the bike or Titus, are they a friendly company who might be willing to do this (at a cost) for a customer? For resale purposes it would be much better if this was done by the manufacturer.

Nonsense
    Free Member

If the frame is no good for you then sell it and buy one that is suitable! No point trying to bodge it and end up spending even more cash on it. I'm over 14 stone with all my kit but I'm 6ft1 which makes it much easier in terms of bike choice.

stumpy01

Are you sure that the shock is working correctly and doesn't have a fault of some kind?

Just something to consider…..

njee20
    Free Member

You could lose some weight? That would be free, and bring other advantages…

The-Badger
    Free Member

Hmm with your weight and that leverage ratio you are going to struggle to get the bike to feel how you like. I am close to 17stone in all my riding kit and struggle sometimes with bikes with a lot less leverage ratio that that.
    you have a few options
    1. run the bike in the 4" travel option – less travel but better suspension.
    2. sell the frame
    3. run the shock with max pressure (or a bit over), wait for shock to blow or wear out fast. repair and repeat.
    4. get the shock tuned with more compression damping (will spoil small bump response, and make the suspension feel more harsh)
    5. talk to Titus Uk importers – they may have some suggestions http://www.titus-bikes.co.uk/

I am with Brant – a coil shock will tend to blow through its travel more, and the spring will need to be a big heavy lump.

Good luck from another heavy lad.

geetee1972
    Free Member

OK i've been thinking about this and I have a few questions:

Air springs are not linear; I think in terms of the equations that govern the actual spring rate as they move through their cycle they are exponential or something. Which is why they are progressive in terms of spring rate, i.e. the spring rate the air damper sees at the start of the stroke is lower than that it sees at the end of the stroke because of the way that air pressure increases faster than volume decreases.

So that means that the heavier you are, the more pronounced the effect of this progressiveness will be.

Which means that a heavier person, relative to a significantly lighter person, will feel that their air can will either be:

a)Too soft in the middle part of the stroke in order for the end stroke to feel about right
    or
    b) Too harsh at the end of the stroke in order for the middle part of the stroke to feel right.
    or even worse
    c)In order to get the bike sagging at the right amount (25%-30%) they have so much air in the can that anything from about the first third of the stroke onwards feels very harsh and over sprung.

I am heavy and feel as though this has been a problem in the past that a coil spring has not presented me with, but i am perfectly happy to be re-educated on the physics behind this thinking.

Obviously things will be effected considerably by the leverage curves of the bike and these can be matched to compensate for the way an air spring behaves.

Brant et al, how much of this is correct and if it is, how does running a coil mean that, assuming you have the correct spring rate, the shock 'blows through its travel'?

njee20
    Free Member

you have a few options
    1. run the bike in the 4" travel option – less travel but better suspension.
    2. sell the frame
    3. run the shock with max pressure (or a bit over), wait for shock to blow or wear out fast. repair and repeat.
    4. get the shock tuned with more compression damping (will spoil small bump response, and make the suspension feel more harsh)
    5. talk to Titus Uk importers – they may have some suggestions http://www.titus-bikes.co.uk/

6. LOSE WEIGHT

I've gone from 75-68kg in a few months, it's not that hard. If this is your 'dream bike', is it not worth a bit of effort? You'll be quicker up the hills too and probably enjoy it more! Or would you really rather lose a few hundred quid selling it!?

freeridenick
    Free Member

go for a run or 2 you fat knacker! 😯

GW
    Free Member

if you're heavy avoid frames with high leverage ratios.

sell it! and look at the leverage ratio before buying a replacement.

Ps. you won't get a spring stiff enough for it

scotabroad

I'm no expert on leverage ratio but I have a meta 4 with a float R on back with 250psi in it.

I am 18.5 st with no gear and I have had no issues with the rear suspension at all, in fact it works remarkably well.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I'm 14 stone and did the shim mod on my RP23 XV on my Remedy….it reduces the volume so for the same PSI it becomes firmer. It used to blow through the travel a lot but it's noticeably improved now.
    Just a thought. Check MTBR for more details

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

freeridenick – Member
    go for a run or 2 you fat knacker!

I thought someone would say that !!
    Had a reply back from Titus today and they suggested i get a High Volume canister fitted to the shock and that should help ?
    ive emailed Mojo to see if they can help or not ??
    Ive never had any issues like this before on all the other FS frames ive had !

LoCo
    Free Member

Sorry, who ever gave that advise at Titus does not understand the problem as that will make it worse, higher air volume will cause the shock to go through the travel more easily as there is less 'ramping up'.
    The issue is the leverage ratio on the frame in relation to your weight.
    Titus have designed the frame for a spectrum of users' below your weight and therefore it will not really ever work that well for you regardless of the compression tune on the shock weather it be air or coil (and finding a coil shock and spring of the correct weight/stiffness that short is unlikely).
    In short I'd change the frame for something that will work better for you and you'll derive more enjoyment from riding as it stands the Titus will always be a compromise especially if you have to run it at 4" to get it near to working for the money you could get something really nice.
    Also 15 stone isn't that heavy, it's just the way they designed the bike!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Heavy lads that ride small FS bikes ? Frame blowing through travel’ is closed to new replies.