Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • Heavy, heavy roots Reggae.
  • spectabilis
    Free Member

Monster dub

tomaso
    Free Member
    spectabilis
    Free Member

eskay

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Got a 3 hour drive ahead of me… Any decent mixes out there?

kayak23

I like this one.

cb200
    Free Member

Here you go Aphex

cb200
    Free Member

Nice mix by a friend of a friend. Bit of a mashup, and don’t be put off by the gentle intro, lovely though it is

eskay

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

On work PC so I can’t see anything posted beforehand as YouTube is blocked and I don’t know if this qualifies as heavy, heavy roots reggae but have a bang on this one as someone once said.

If you like it then look up anything by The Upsetters or Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry

jairaj

I’ve just discovered this thread!!!!!

@kayak23
    that “Eek A Mouse – Ganja Smuggling” track is amazing! I like reggae but know nothing about it, thank you, I know what I’m listening to on the drive home tonight!

kayak23

Oh yeah, Vaughn Benjamin from Midnite died the other day. 5th of November I think. 😐

tjagain

jairaj

If you like Eek a mouse try Yellowman I do love a bit of the mouse tho

this may be my favourite all time roots track ( I don’t think I posted it earlier)

tjagain

Now this I have posted somewhere before but its worth a second or third go for the totally absurd lyrics

tjagain

Has anyone mentioned Horace Andy yet? IIRC he was brought back out of obscurity by recording with massive attack who funded a greatest hits album for him

tjagain

HOpe not too many repeats from me. apologies if there is

This one never fails to trigger real nostalgia in me

tjagain

A bit of lovers rock from the King of the lovers?

tjagain

Toots and the Maytals – many of you might know this from the clash and others. Perhaps Ska rather than roots

https://youtu.be/CRSwjhYmAY4

tjagain

Third world?

tjagain

Lee “scratch ” Perry – one of the key pioneers of reggae and a warning of how too much Ganja can mean you lose touch with reality. He produced much of the early reggae and helped forge it into a recognisable form along with people like Max Romeo and the Uppsetter

tjagain

Sanchez – lovely voice, some very dodgy covers 😉

tjagain

tjagain

Can you tell yet this is a bit of an obsession of mine?

tjagain

tjagain
    tjagain

Well maybe – I keep onthinking of more tunes worth a mention

tjagain

Bonus dodgy cover! Extra points if you know the original

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Most weeks there’s a King Shiloh / Bredda Neil reggae n roots show in Redlight Radio streamed from Facebook. It’s usually a Weds evening here in Oz so no idea what time it’s on in UK but you can restream old shows an ting.

I found this the other day and I like it. There. I said it. It’s kind of a “sing some cliched reggae vocals” kinda track but the more I listen, the more I like it’s cheese-pop-reggae sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJsudoY8vGk

Oh and if anyone is in Western Australia, the local reggae show, Jamdown Vershun, which has been going for 40 years, has a party on in Freo from 5pm til late. Big @ass sound system, djs and bands. Oh and it’s nudging 40c here too…

kayak23

Dub Fx

CountZero

Bonus dodgy cover! Extra points if you know the original

Bread, if I’m not mistaken. I didn’t look it up, just relying on my increasingly shonky memory!

Not sure if this counts as ‘heavy, heavy roots reggae’, but it is keeping the spirit alive – rather fond of the album this comes from.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Not so heavy but still a lickle bit nice

eskay

This popped up whilst driving today, not only is it a very good tune it is also very much of the moment.

kayak23

Had to be done really. Sorry 😂

theotherjonv

Nothing to add to the playlist (although I’m really enjoying it) however, I had a big double take at the last one, and I’m only now disappointed it’s not a dub roots version of the seminal Wedding Present album, based on the cover alone

The Wedding Present: George Best =CD=

kayak23

Found this stream, 24/7-365! Not sure how they do that but meh…

kilo

kilo

tjagain

Thanks for that 24/7/365 stream Kayak.

eskay

Nice early Friday night vibes:

kayak23

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.